Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What's up with this Precision? - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What's up with this Precision?

StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2124
Looks old and apparently has Fender parts, but that serial number doesn't match any of the schemes I know of.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/chalkwell-auctions/catalogue-id-srchal10303/lot-440d6d74-e155-4a89-bcbf-ae24013af555
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    My first thought was that it looked a bit like my '73 Precision (pic below), but the model name is too small and the serial number is in the wrong place. Likely some later repro, but if the auctioneer put the estimate at £100-£200 they can't be very confident of its authenticity!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    edited January 2022
    The headstock decal is in the same location and typefaces as my 1978/79 Fender. 

The 76_______ serial number could be any date from 1976 to 1978. (My bandmate has a 1977 hardtail Stratocaster with a 76 prefix.) My '78/79 bass is an S prefix.

The black nut is not original. Nor is the scratchplate.

The body finish looks excessively yellow for clear natural but that could be an aberration due to artificial light or flash.
    Be seeing you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    What Funkfingers said - it's a '76 (...or thereabouts) Fender with some changed parts. The truss rod plug looks odd, but enough of the rest of it looks right that I think that's just a 70s Fender QC aberration.

I've seen plenty that yellow too, I think the finish is original.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

edited January 2022
    Keefy said:
    the auctioneer put the estimate at £100-£200
    That is their estimated fees before VAT.

ICBM said:
    The truss rod plug looks odd
    The walnut plug on my '78/79 fretless looks exactly the same as the auction house bass.
    Be seeing you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Funkfingers said:

The walnut plug on my '78/79 fretless looks exactly the same as the auction house bass.
    I don't doubt it! I don't think I've seen one with quite such a long 'point' - it's clearly set unusually deep in the neck - but given the tooling accuracy at CBS-Fender in the late 70s, I can perfectly well believe it .

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    Keefy said:
    the auctioneer put the estimate at £100-£200
    That is their estimated fees before VAT.

Ah ok!
    edited January 2022
    I was being sarcastic about the fees. (30%!!!) Even with non-original parts and case, the item should fetch a four-figure sum …

… but did not. Hammer price £550. Fees £165.  :'(
    Be seeing you.