Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Fender Precision Basses. Please can some explain all the different models past and present? - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Fender Precision Basses. Please can some explain all the different models past and present?

What's Hot
OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1660
Hi chaps,

Well, I'm hooked on bass. So, the inevitable GAS has kicked in and I'm looking around for a used/vintage Precision. Something will have to go either in trade or sale to get there, but that's ok.

Now, what is holding me back are ALL the numerous lines/versions that have been or are being produced. It's hard to know where to start.

I'm probably OK with understanding the vintage stuff, ie '"73 Precision Bass" etc, as that's basically all they did back then. But when we get into the 80's/90's/2000's, there are so many models that I don't know where to start.

As an indicator of where I'm heading, I really would like a late 60's / early 70's Precision, preferably rosewood board (don't ask me why as I don't really know, I just like the feel of rosewood on guitars, so I reckon it's the same for basses).

Looking at new basses, I really like the idea of the new American Original series. Basically a recreation of a vintage bass.

But, what's in between, what am I missing, what should I be looking at?

Help!

Rob
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Strictly speaking, the Fender AO Series blends the cosmetics of vintage bass guitars with modern playability. 

IMO, the single most critical feature is the neck profile. My 1978/79 factory fretless has a neck that is a fairly clubby D shape and smothered in poly finish. My AV'63 has the wide/shallow profile of that era. On this, Jamerson, Dunn and Babbitt bass lines fall easily under the fingers. The bass moves of classic dance records make perfect sense. It is necessary to reach further between the strings but this is no hardship. If anything, it makes things easier.

The modern Fender American Standard/Original/Professional instruments are easier to play than the "vintage correct" models but that is not always the best option.

FWIIW, I have tried the Fender American Deluxe/Elite models and found them disappointing - especially for the money. The instruments are slick to play but, in my opinion, their sound is spoiled by the onboard active EQ. Specifically, the EQ band frequency bands are not where I would want them.

I would cheerfully gig on a MIM or MIJ Fender bass with a Duncan Antiquity pickup and, maybe, a John East pre-amp. 

Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Bear in mind that old Ps usually have massive necks - 44mm wide or so. The American Original series retains this (WHY?!?!), as does the Vintera, but pretty much everything else will have a narrower neck. Am Pro II and Player series both use 41.3mm 

FWIW I built one with MJT about a year ago and I love it to bits; I went with a medium nut so still feels mostly like a P but without the ridiculous heft of an old one. Lollar makes a great P pickup if you need one. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1660
    @Funkfingers @stickyfiddle ;

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of the nut width differences! I've just measured the cheap Squire P-Bass I've been using and the nut is bang on 41mm. I think the extra 3 mm of the American Original series might be too much, but obviously I need to try one. My local shop Promenade Music have an AO Precision, but it's a maple board one, although it could give me an idea of just how much wider it actually feels. I'm not optimistic though, I thought I was already playing a guitar with vintage precision nut width!

The American Professional II range look nice though, but I was hoping for something vintage vibey.

What do people feel about MIJ Precisions, and what are the nut widths on those?

Cheers chaps,
    Rob

• If your going vintage there are 3 nut sizes A,B,and C, A being the smallest, (jazz size)  and apparently they did a D but I’ve never seen one ,the transition period from the C wider nut to the B was around 68-69 . If you like the 41mm ish nut you might be better with an early 70s one, which is what I’m looking for at the moment, it’s quite a minefield, I can only recommend you try as many as you can to see what feels good to you, good luck 
    Riddim up
    If your going vintage there are 3 nut sizes A,B,and C, A being the smallest, (jazz size)  and apparently they did a D but I’ve never seen one ,the transition period from the C wider nut to the B was around 68-69 . If you like the 41mm ish nut you might be better with an early 70s one, which is what I’m looking for at the moment, it’s quite a minefield, I can only recommend you try as many as you can to see what feels good to you, good luck 
    Good info thanks.

Am I right in thinking a ‘73 I’m looking at would be 41mm?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Yeah, should be a B width nut 
    A-1 1/2 in.
    B- 1 5/8 in.
    C- 1 3/4 in
    Riddim up
    Ok chaps, maybe I'm an impetuous fool, but I've been negotiating on an all original '73 PB. The business owner is away in the US, but we've communicated via email and agreed a price. I've now also talked to the shop manager and gone through aspects of the bass over the phone, it does sound like the one to me, and it has a 41mm nut width.

I'm waiting for a reply on my offer of a trade, but either way, the bass is now "on hold" for me and I expect to close the deal today or tomorrow. 

Rather exciting times!

Thanks for all your input chaps, much appreciated.

Rob
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markjmarkj Frets: 851
    Is it the one at ATB guitars?
    markj said:
    Is it the one at ATB guitars?
    Guilty as charged mi 'lud.

Not at the advertised price I might add.
  • ReggaebassReggaebass Frets: 54
    edited January 2022
    That’s a nice 73, I considered that one myself , I’ve heard of a few people doing business with Mike and all was really good, I also nearly bought a 65 jazz from him, good luck Ossyrocks , keep us posted 
    Riddim up
  • markjmarkj Frets: 851
    Hi Rob, a fellow Gartone Bluesman owner here. Have you seen the Bluesman for sale on their website for 3K.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Despite my love for Rickenbacker and Aria SB basses, it remains true that the plain old 1957-style Precision is the absolute definition of the electric bass… there’s no type of music that can’t be played on it, and it will sound at least good for all of them. It’s also one of the simplest instruments, and it’s actually hard to make a bad one even at very low prices - but a great one is more a function of good wood and to some extent luck (and/or knowledgeable selection) than fancy features.

I don’t get on with the original wide necks at all, admittedly - but the later medium-width ones are fine. Nor am I a fan of the original reverse-gear tuners, they’re just an anachronism that’s (in my opinion) pointless to reproduce for the sake of it. But aside from that, just find one you like and you can’t go wrong. There’s only one minor design flaw - the pickguard-mounted jack can be a bit fragile if the lead gets tugged - but using a right-angle plug and running the cable through the strap fixes that.

Probably Leo Fender’s single greatest invention. (Which is saying quite a lot.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Reverse gear machineheads were a carry over from the contrabass. They were chosen so as not to alienate the target demographic.
    Be seeing you.
    Reverse gear machineheads were a carry over from the contrabass. They were chosen so as not to alienate the target demographic.
    I know, but there's absolutely no need to put them on a modern reissue... it's just perversely 'authentic' for the sake of it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    That looks like a really nice bass.I fully agree the P is just the classic all-rounder electric bass in a way I didn't quite fully appreciate until I got one. Mine has reverse tuners that I'm ok with because I don't have any other basses. I'm pretty sure I'll swap them as soon as I have another.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Hi chaps, I’ve just paid for it, shipping on Monday, can’t wait.

I’ve known Mike for a few years and met him a couple of times. He’s one of the good guys.
    He was very good to deal with in this instance, I didn’t haggle, he just offered me a good price straight off, and I accepted.

Thanks for all your help on this, 
    Rob
    ICBM said:
    just perversely 'authentic' for the sake of it.
    That explains the reverse gear 'heads on my RIC 4001. :-p
    Be seeing you.
    Funkfingers said:

That explains the reverse gear 'heads on my RIC 4001. :-p
    Indeed :).

Luckily mine has the 'wavy' Grovers. At least, luckily until one of them breaks and I have to pay about £200 for a replacement set...

• icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 291
    @Ossyrocks Congrats on your purchase, I notice that there is also an Olympic White 71 for sale, do you know why that one is so much more money than yours was? 
    icu81b4 said:
    @Ossyrocks Congrats on your purchase, I notice that there is also an Olympic White 71 for sale, do you know why that one is so much more money than yours was? 
    I don’t really know why. But custom colours are generally more expensive. The shop manager said mine played better than the white one though. I did really fancy the Olympic White one, but as it’s my first vintage bass, it was a bit of a stretch too far.
  • ReggaebassReggaebass Frets: 54
    edited January 2022
    I think you’ll find the Olympic white ones normally are more expensive as they didn’t do so many, especially the jazzes, if the 71 P had the original case I probably would have made him an offer , they add to the value 
    Riddim up
  • ZoonyboyZoonyboy Frets: 152
    You did the right thing. 70s P Basses are generally great sounding (but can be heavy sometimes). Any P Bass will sound good on ANY recording, just do not over eq or process it, they always sound right, straight out of the jack socket. That goes for both round wound and flat wound strings. Different but equally effective. So eventually you need another P Bass, maybe.
    Zoonyboy said:
    You did the right thing. 70s P Basses are generally great sounding (but can be heavy sometimes). Any P Bass will sound good on ANY recording, just do not over eq or process it, they always sound right, straight out of the jack socket. That goes for both round wound and flat wound strings. Different but equally effective. So eventually you need another P Bass, maybe.
    Cheers. I’m probably going flats very soon. My bass is not one of the heavy ones, it’s 8 1/2 lbs. 
    I won’t be processing anything, just straight into a Markbass with minimal eq. 
    I’m loving this bass.