Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Aria Pro II Overwater - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Aria Pro II Overwater

What's Hot
SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
in Bass tFB Trader
I know that Overwater partnered with Tanglewood and this predates that.

Made in Japan by Matsumoku?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Maybe. Do you have more photos?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    edited January 2022
    The same instrument is discussed on the Bass Chav forum, with a link to a Chris May interview on garycooper.biz

Short version: At one time, CM accepted consultancy work for other instrument makers. Hence, "the occasional Aria Overwater." This remark suggests that more than one of them was built.

http://www.garycooper.biz/articles/interviews0702.html
    Be seeing you.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    Thanks both. The owner says he bought it from Chris May about 20 years ago and contends it's a "hand built Overwater" but it feels 100% Aria.

Needs a good clean obviously!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Interesting! Not sure it's Matsumoku though - the only feature of it which does look so is the bridge. If it is, I'd guess it's more likely to be contemporary with the Integra series of the late 80s than the earlier SBs.

To be perfectly honest it looks rather generic and uninspiring by the standards of either company...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Rearrange the control knobs and that bass would resemble an Ibanez SRX.
    Be seeing you.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    edited January 2022
    Interesting about the various relationships between companies & branding.

I had an Overwater branded bass about 15 years ago that I pulled out of a skip at work after a degree show clearance (bloody Arts students eh?).
    It had clearly had a hard life as there were two large cracks running the full length of the body, on each side of the neck & lots of old gaffa tape. Looked like someone had a Paul Simonon tantrum with it.
    The neck was fine, so I took it home, cleaned it up a bit & then it just lay around, as I'm not a bass player.

One day on a whim I put it in the car & drove over to Chris May's place in Carlisle & showed it to him to see if it was worthwhile splashing out on a restoration.
    He said it was indeed an Overwater, that had been built when he was getting established, as part of a contract for ILEA (Inner London Education Authority) schools music procurement. It was built in the far east, very much on a budget to compete with Yamaha basses & that despite the name, it wasn't in any way a 'proper' Overwater & not really worth spending money on.
    A nice, genuinely helpful bloke too.

Anyway I eventually traded it on, but without taking any photo's of it.
    This thread got me searching & found one that is very very close to it (see below).

Overwater Original - The Bass Gallery
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    The same instrument is discussed on the Bass Chav forum, with a link to a Chris May interview on garycooper.biz
    Do you have a link to the Bass Chat page please @Funkfingers ?

There is a model number sticker on the heel which reads AOWB2 by the way
    edited January 2022
    Do you have a link to the Bass Chat page
    Yes. It is at the foot of my first comment in this Discussion.
    Be seeing you.