Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Question for Funkfingers. - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Question for Funkfingers.

trikelopstrikelops Frets: 12
I thought of you because you seem to have knowledge of just about every make of bass ever made. Hoping you can help with this one. My pal Davy was given a Pro Martin Plus (I think that's what he said, it was a bad connection) bass a couple of days ago. He says it is shaped similar to a P bass but is really heavy. I was hoping you may have some knowledge of them that I can pass on to Davy. Thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 270

@Funkfingers will know more than me but when I saw a Pro Martin Plus I thought it was a homemade copy of an Alembic bass with a through neck and the corresponding skunk striped body.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    The through neck construction owes something to Alembic and Matsumoku but it also resembles Italian-made instruments of the Eighties and the DIY parts supplied by Brandoni.

The bridge has an Aria look about it. The pickup resembles a DiMarzio Model P. (OEM and VP-1 DiMarzios have non-adjustable polepieces.) Presumably, the mini switch engages series/parallel modes. 

I suspect that the finger rest is non-original.

Unfortunately, the brand/model name suggests a canine dietary supplement. 

trikelops said:
    you seem to have knowledge of just about every make of bass ever made.
    That is an illusion, created by a combination of extensive reading, occasional repairs and being almost old enough to qualify for a bus pass.
    Be seeing you.
  • The through neck construction owes something to Alembic and Matsumoku but it also resembles Italian-made instruments of the Eighties and the DIY parts supplied by Brandoni.

The bridge has an Aria look about it. The pickup resembles a DiMarzio Model P. (OEM and VP-1 DiMarzios have non-adjustable polepieces.) Presumably, the mini switch engages series/parallel modes. 

I suspect that the finger rest is non-original.

Unfortunately, the brand/model name suggests a canine dietary supplement. 

trikelops said:
    you seem to have knowledge of just about every make of bass ever made.
    That is an illusion, created by a combination of extensive reading, occasional repairs and being almost old enough to qualify for a bus pass.
    Thanks for the info, I'll pass that on to Davy. He seems happy with it apart from the action being a bit high, I may sort that for him. 
    No illusion, you are a mine of info on basses, and you are younger than me too! Had my bus pass for years now. =)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    trikelops said:
    you are a mine of info on basses 
    OTOH, I know (and care) little about Angling, Association Football, Athletics, Golf, Horse Racing, Tennis et cetera.

I chose between several available forms of useless information.
    Be seeing you.
  • trikelops said:
    you are a mine of info on basses 
    OTOH, I know (and care) little about Angling, Association Football, Athletics, Golf, Horse Racing, Tennis et cetera.

I chose between several available forms of useless information.
    We have something in common then. Only sports I am interested in are Motorcycle racing (used to race sidecars) and F1. Other main interest is blues music.