Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Blackbird Guitar Cabs - latest projects - Made in the UK Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Blackbird Guitar Cabs - latest projects

What's Hot

Comments

• Blackbird Cabs - bespoke guitar cabinets, handcrafted in North Devon
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Happy April everyone. I've got another offer for you decent people of the Fretboard.......

As a way of encouraging experimentation to find the tone, volume and set up that suits you best, throughout April I'm offering a free extra baffle with every bespoke cab ordered, as well as making all cabs with a removable back panel free of charge (I'd usually charge an extra £20-£30).

I've found the last few months of playing around with different speakers and set ups really informative and really fun and it's a great way of getting to know your amp as well as finding the set up that suits your playing style.

So if you're ordering a medium sized cab you can specify a 1x12 as well as a 2x10 baffle so that you can really get a feel for how your amp behaves in both configurations. With the removable back panel you can then also take the time to get to know the difference between open and closed back cabs. So you've suddenly got 4 different cab set ups to play with!
    For a smaller cab you might want to switch between a 1x12 and a 1x10.
    For a larger cab maybe swapping out your standard 2x12 for 1x12 + 1x10 might add some focus to the sound.

Message me via Fretboard or send me an email with your username if you're interested or if you have any questions. I'll get a general price list up later today - I just need to check the forum rules first!
    Blackbird Cabs - bespoke guitar cabinets, handcrafted in North Devon
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I've just added a price guide to the website but let me know if you have any questions, particularly if you're looking for something ma-hoo-ssive not covered in my price list.
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BlackbirdCabsBlackbirdCabs Frets: 222
    Here's some pics of one of my latest builds - a 1x12 in Olive Ash. I love this timber, so nice to work with, and UK grown as well. Indulge me while I bombard you with close-ups..............

sam@blackbirdcabs.com

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Check out these olive-y swirls.............

sam@blackbirdcabs.com

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    This is a showpiece cab I made for the North West Guitar Show rather than a commission, so it'll be up for sale on the website soon. PM me if you want first dibs!

sam@blackbirdcabs.com

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MentalSharpsMentalSharps Frets: 165
    Beautiful!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2100
    Nice work!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    These look terrific. Really nice
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 238
    That looks absolutely superb - I love the finish and the grain - excellent work.
    Thanks so much for all the cool comments, always very much appreciated!
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2459
    tFB Trader
    Wow, some great work there. Well done!

• Cheers @Modulus_Amps - I'm hoping we cross paths somewhere down the line, would be good to meet up (then again Devon to Scotland is a bit of a journey for a chin wag!)
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

• Here's some pics of a great little project - a small head enclosure for @Fuengi (always nice to do stuff for a fellow Fretboarder). Mark came to me with an idea of what he was after and sent me over some very nice detailed measurements for me to work by.
    We've used Ash for the cabinet with Olive Ash for the front and back panels. The two timber types actually come from the same tree (the 'olive' being the heartwood at the centre of the trunk). The 'olive' colour and swirly patterning is a result of minerals in the soil - apparently Devon trees tend to be particularly olive-y compared to, say, trees grown in Kent.

These photos were a bit rushed as the courier was on his way but you get the general idea :)

sam@blackbirdcabs.com

sam@blackbirdcabs.com

sam@blackbirdcabs.com

• For the back panel we needed to make sure there was room for the plug to be tucked away when not in use (LH cut-out) and access to the speaker jack, sag switch and preamp valve (RH cut-out). This was idea no. 4 or 5 but I think it was worth the procrastinating!
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    It's lovely to see such excellent woodwork  - that looks superb.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2843

I must say it was an absolute pleasure dealing with Sam on this, and he has produced a fantastic quality cab that I couldn't be happier with.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 618
    That's lovely, have a wow
    edited October 2022
    Here's a few shots of a headshell in Ash, quite possibly made from the same tree as the project above. This has been designed to fit a 'medium' Fender chassis: Deluxe Reverb, Vibroverb etc. I made it for a show (and to fit one of my amps) but it's available via the website if any Fretboarders are interested.

sam@blackbirdcabs.com

• Lovely stuff 
  • It's been a while since I put anything up on this thread, so here's some pics I took today while the sun was out....
    It's a compact 1x12 in UK grown Scots Pine. Beautiful and underrated timber in my opinion. I've also used Dumble-style corners for the first time and they definitely added some touch-sensitive sustain to the tone ;)
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

• This cab is actually available as I made it on a whim to show off the gourgeous knot-free grain of these particular boards.
    Here's a few more pics........

sam@blackbirdcabs.com

Absolutely superb craftsmanship - a beautiful cab
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • That ply fingerjointed cab you did is a beauty. 
  • Thanks folks.
    That ply fingerjointed cab you did is a beauty. 
    Yeah I was really happy with how those ply cabs turned out. I'd just got the technique down when Putin decided to invade Ukraine  :#
    sam@blackbirdcabs.com

• Here's some pics of my latest project, a lovely 1x15 made from reclaimed Sapele/Meranti (not sure which!) that's going to house a JBL d130f no less. We have a removable back panel for open or closed-back ear pummeling, and a recessed handle so amp heads will sit happily on top.......

sam@blackbirdcabs.com

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • a few more......

sam@blackbirdcabs.com

0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • My favourite in this thread. Love the recesses.