Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Bruce Springsteen - last 2 albums - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Bruce Springsteen - last 2 albums

What's Hot
Big Bruce fan here , seen him live a few times , have all his early albums but got a bit bored of them after Human Touch. Dipped into a few of his albums since then but nothing grabbed me until Western Stars a couple of years back. He then follows that with Letter to You last year. I honestly think these are the best 2 back to back albums of his since Nebraska and Born in the USA FORTY YEARS AGO.

How does someone find that level of quality this late in his career- totally in awe of the bloke and just wanted to urge anyone who’d given up on his stuff to check these 2 albums out as they truly fantastic 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I don't think they're better than Tunnel Of Love/Human Touch/Lucky Town/The Ghost Of Tom Joad which are also back to back (although over a much longer time period), but they're definitely better than anything he's done since then.

I hadn't given up on him in the mean time, but Working On A Dream was probably the low point and did make me wonder...

I actually think writing his autobiography might have helped rediscover some of what inspired him in the early days - if there are any fans who haven't read it, you really should, it's brilliant. I don't think it's a coincidence that these are the first two albums he's made since.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I’ve really enjoyed Letter To You, and the documentary about it on Apple TV is great too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBM said:

I hadn't given up on him in the mean time, but Working On A Dream was probably the low point and did make me wonder...

I actually think writing his autobiography might have helped rediscover some of what inspired him in the early days - if there are any fans who haven't read it, you really should, it's brilliant. I don't think it's a coincidence that these are the first two albums he's made since.
    Actually that’s a good point , Letter to you seems hugely personal even by his standards 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • SRichSRich Frets: 751
    It feels like an awfully long time since I was sitting in the Hammersmith Odeon in 1975............but I also lost his musical thread late 2000's.

Thank you for the suggestion Con, I'll add that to the Christmas listening.

All the best.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • My fave Bruce record of recent times is Devils and Dust. Well worth cheking out
  • Ooh would have loved to have been there steve although bearing in mind I would have been 5 I probably wouldn’t have appreciated it.

Hope you are well mate - those al fresco beers in Bath feel like a lifetime ago. Will have to do it again when things warm up 
  • I agree that the last two have been a return to form and have had repeated plays in this household.  The ones prior to this significantly less so.  However I do like The Rising and most of Magic

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1715
    To be honest I gave up on Bruce's stuff a while ago because I thought he'd burnt out but on reading this I'll give his recent pressings a listen. Cheers. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• Devil#20 said:
    To be honest I gave up on Bruce's stuff a while ago because I thought he'd burnt out but on reading this I'll give his recent pressings a listen. Cheers. 
    Same here. Thanks @DrCornelius ;
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited December 2021
    see he sold his music rights to Sony last week  

loved the early stuff,  saw him on the BitUSA tour at Wembly in 85
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    bertie said:
    I never thought he'd do that - he says in the book that he's (was) one of the only musicians who owns his entire back catalogue outright, which gives him complete control of it - but presumably he knows he's not getting any younger and might want to be able to pass on a substantial amount of it to his kids tax free...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• ICBM said:
    bertie said:
    I never thought he'd do that - he says in the book that he's (was) one of the only musicians who owns his entire back catalogue outright, which gives him complete control of it - but presumably he knows he's not getting any younger and might want to be able to pass on a substantial amount of it to his kids tax free...
    That sounds about right. It will avoid any horrible family disputes later down the line. He will be putting his trust into Sony to treat his legacy appropriately. As he has only ever been with Columbia (?) I imagine he has some faith in them to do so.

I don’t blame the man, look at the state of the Hendrix estate, putting his name in any old tat for the sake of money. Dylan’s family were torn apart by differences in opinion on what should happen with his rights, as was Princes.
  • My Christmas present to myself was buying Bruce's recently released concert film of the legendary 'No Nukes' concert at Madison Square Garden, back in the late 70s heyday, on the night he turned 30 years old.

I love some of his more recent stuff, and the two times I've seen him live (2012 and 2016) he and the band were terrific. Tons of energy and enthusiasm for a guy of his age, and the band were tight as a drum. 

But seeing this earlier gig in all its remastered glory - Holy Shit! Bruce and the band were an absolute force if nature! Unbelievable intensity. What I wouldn't give to have been around in those days and seen him in his absolute prime...

An absolute must for any Boss fans. 
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    edited December 2021
    My Christmas present to myself was buying Bruce's recently released concert film of the legendary 'No Nukes' concert at Madison Square Garden, back in the late 70s heyday, on the night he turned 30 years old.

I love some of his more recent stuff, and the two times I've seen him live (2012 and 2016) he and the band were terrific. Tons of energy and enthusiasm for a guy of his age, and the band were tight as a drum. 

But seeing this earlier gig in all its remastered glory - Holy Shit! Bruce and the band were an absolute force if nature! Unbelievable intensity. What I wouldn't give to have been around in those days and seen him in his absolute prime...

An absolute must for any Boss fans. 
    If I could choose, that is exactly the type of musician I would be - a (hugely successful ha!) touring musician in the 70s and 80s singing my own songs for 3 hours every night in the U.S and beyond. The ultimate rock career. Can't wait to check out the Nukes concert.
    A perfect moment... Thunder Road at sunset.

(Well, sunset from the nosebleed seats anyway!)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Toms_DadToms_Dad Frets: 166
    How was the sound quality where you were? We were over in the west stand, and at the start it was terrible. Improved a lot during the first half hour. 
    Toms_Dad said:
    How was the sound quality where you were? We were over in the west stand, and at the start it was terrible. Improved a lot during the first half hour. 
    Yes, exactly that. I think they had the delays wrong for the first few songs or something - it was so muddled the vocals were almost unintelligible at first - but then greatly improved.