Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Ever been surpised by an amp? - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Ever been surpised by an amp?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• tbh I was pleasantly surprised by the tone of the bass dept in my Treble'n'Bass 50SV when putting the RBX375 through it at the GearFest.
    Very nice tone indeed. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @ddlooping Thank you. I think that's the best I've heard it. You seemed to get on all right with the RBX. 
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

• @ddlooping Thank you. I think that's the best I've heard it. You seemed to get on all right with the RBX. 
    Once I got used to having a fifth string. :D
    I liked the feel of the flat-wounds. :)
  • stevehsteveh Frets: 186
    crunchman said:
    First time I heard a Lazy J (before they were famous).  Stunning.
    I have been avoiding trying one of these but did so yesterday at Chandlers: Left my jaw on the floor. Best clean sound I have heard ever...by a mile. A pal who was with me agreed. We had been trying the Kemper AM and were very impressed but the J20 reminded us both why valve amps rule in the end. Both already saving for one...
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    I bought mine in Chandler's in the really early days of Lazy J before anyone had heard of them.  It doesn't even have a logo on it.  Like you I was blown away by it.  Sold my Cornell Romany Plus and never looked back.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3532
    Most recently when @ddlooping played through his THR as the East Anglian gear fest.

I think it was fair to say everyone there took an interest in that little thing.

If I had a need for another practice amp I would be shopping a THR right now as is I believe @TTony ;
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ESBlonde said:
    If I had a need for another practice amp I would be shopping a THR right now as is I believe @TTony ;
    I think Tony has made the jump and ordered one from Thomann. :D
  • ICBM said:
    I was also very surprised by a Kustom 36 Coupe - when I saw it I assumed it was a cheap Chinese-made amp like most of the modern Kustoms. It sounded stunning, seriously one of the best amps I've ever heard. Later I found out that it was part of the rather expensive US-made range...
    Hmmm, got a lead on one of those relatively cheap...don't really NEED it, but they do look kinda cool...:p
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited September 2013
    I had a deville 4x10  jump out from behind a wall at Sound Control once,     
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 549

Sorry every time I see this topic I picture an amp jumping out of a cupboard at me.

Yeah perhaps it is just me.

• ROOG said:

Sorry every time I see this topic I picture an amp jumping out of a cupboard at me.

Yeah perhaps it is just me.

No, ROOG, it is not just you, there has been a few jokes along the same line already. :D
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I've certainly been shocked by quite a few.

:)

:-O

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 549
    "SORRY" again

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12286
    Fender Sidekick 30/35... very surprising little amp, that one! Really great sound... so good, I've just gone out and bought one.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    I've got this little Vox Amplug headphone amp, the AC30 one.
    It's pretty cheap and really for travelling or something to use late at night if you can't be bothered going to get something bigger just to plug in headphones.
    But, when the battery gets to just the right level...
    It makes a ghostly moaning noise. That was pretty surprising.
  • I was really pleasantly surprised by the cleans and slight breakup sound of the Backstar HT5 in the shop, sadly it's sounded like turd ever since but hey ho
  •   To reiterate a comment from another thread:

Peavey Classic 30.  I demo'd one a year or so ago, and while it sounded good, it didn't make me sit up and take notice.

I used one a couple of days ago, to demo some pedals, and WOW- I couldn't believe how good it sounded!  All the warm cleans and edge of breakup I wanted.  Plenty of low end grunt, etc- and that's WITHOUT the Plimsoul I was supposed to be demoing.  The C30/ P90 neck p/u / Plimsoul combination damn near gave me wood.

To be fair, the first time I used a Strat- and got LOTS of clean, and not so much warmth.  I gave up on trying to push it, as it was getting ridiculously loud.  I will say that this EL84 amp does have a very nice clean with a Strat.

This time, I used an LP style guitar ( Schecter Solo Standard 6, and a Solo Special), and got a tone machine...  I guess this amp is made for humbuckers and P90's.

Honestly, I'm still surprising myself with the sounds I can get with my Mustang III.  Doesn't matter what guitar I use either- the sss Strat, the hh Strat, the widdly widdly Ibanez, the Tele, or the new Schecter.  The amp loves them all, and rewards me with really great sounds w/o much effort.  It even makes my cheapie Affinity sound pretty decent.  I mainly content myself with the '59 Bassman,  AC30, and Plexi models, but I amazed myself with the '57 Deluxe yesterday.

• I don't know much about amps and you could argue I still don't judging from the amps I've owned over the years (fender London,carlsbro fat boy,mesa F50, orange rocker and now a Line 6 DT25) but I recently went to demo a jazzmaster and all they had valve wise was a small laney single channel thing and it sounded so so good on the neck pickup that I'm tempted to sell the dt to get one
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    about 1999,  bought a tweed Blues Junior (blind on line),   I was surprised how shit it was, considering all the hype

:)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter