Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). *edit* Now-NAD sub-£200 cab/combo option for home use? - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

*edit* Now-NAD sub-£200 cab/combo option for home use?

guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 3696
edited November 2021 in Bass
So I've already got a Helix floor and a power amp that I could use with a bass cab; I currently use this rig into a Zilla 1x12 but I'm reluctant to push it too much else risk damaging the Creamback in there.

Is it worth going for a simple cab setup, or are there any cheap combos worth buying for home use? I've got low expectations, but if I can find something with a bit of grit to the tone and that's generally fuss-free that'd be great for my needs.

As it is, I don't plug my bass in too often as I prefer to just plug in and play with an amp instead and tend not to leave the Helix out. I'm actually considering selling the HX Floor model off and downsizing to a HX Stomp anyway, which at this rate may end up just being used for silent practice or as a mini bass-rig!

Things that have caught my eye so far:
  • Cheaper Gallien-krueger combos (Chancellor fan... but not expecting miracles!)
  • Fender Rumble 75 / LT25 similar
  • Orange Crush series 
  • ...?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• I don't know if you need to use it for gigs/jams etc but my bass rig is an HX Stomp into a Yamaha THR10 on flat mode and for home use it sounds absolutely fantastic.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Nah, no plans to gig anytime soon - this is purely for home noodling and jamming along to tracks here.
  • This is my WFH rig in full. Guitar or bass on the wall, phone plugged into THR aux for music, and HX Stomp for fx and amp sounds and a couple of separate pedals ready to go if the mood requires.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    From your shortlist the Fender Rumbles are extremely good for the money.

If it’s home use only and you aren’t carrying it about then a cheap Trace Elliot or Ashdown combo would be a bargain. I’ve got a TE 715SMC at home and it was £60
  • This is my WFH rig in full. Guitar or bass on the wall, phone plugged into THR aux for music, and HX Stomp for fx and amp sounds and a couple of separate pedals ready to go if the mood requires.

[PIC]
    Ah, you got the stormtrooper model too - nice! That looks like a tidy setup indeed :)
  • Well that was short-lived! I spoke to Mansons earlier and wrangled a nice deal on a display Rumble LT25 so I just popped in to collect it! It seems to have more than I’d need in one box, I’ll plug it in later once I’m officially not working for the day :mrgreen: 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    Nice! The Rumbles are great sounding amps.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Good swag. 
  • This thing’s fun! Lots of great tones in there but I keep coming back to the Showman amp model - it even sounds superb with my Strat! :mrgreen:

Surprisingly, I’ve barely tweaked a thing yet - I’m just playing around with presets but even they sound good!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    This thing’s fun! Lots of great tones in there but I keep coming back to the Showman amp model - it even sounds superb with my Strat!
    So it should... the Showman was originally designed as a guitar amp, but because it was the most powerful amp Fender made at the time, was often used by bassists in preference to the Bassman. (And keyboard players too).

This looks an interesting amp, I hadn't come across them before - just the simpler analogue Rumbles. It seems to split the difference between the 'home amp' concept and a 'proper amp' quite nicely.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson