Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Can I/ Should I DI - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Can I/ Should I DI

What's Hot
Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4759
edited November 2021 in Bass
I've got an Ibanez 5 string bass with active Pickups, could I/should I go straight into a power amp anf FRFR cab, with help from a compressor and an EQ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    If the bass, the compressor and the EQ have enough output level to drive the power amp to the volume you need, yes you can. Many modern bass amps aren't much more than a power amp with a basic input gain stage, an EQ, and sometimes a compressor anyway.

Technically this isn't a 'DI', which really means going direct into a mixing desk.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @ICBM , thank you for the sanity check.  It looks like I am gigging again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Ideally, one of the processors between your instrument(s) and the power amp should have a balanced XLR output socket to send a signal to the P.A. mixer
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    You could get a cheap Preamp/DI pedal which would give you a gain boost when you need it, and potentially more usable EQ, and of course a balanced XLR output. 

I've got a Behringer V-Tone Bass BDI21 which is an utter bargain (I think mine was about £15 used) - which will do exactly what you need and will give you a bit of gain/drive as well if needed. XLR out as well. Even new they are dirt cheap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • £20 paid to JB.  It should be with me tomorrow.

I am auditioning for a rockabilly band.  To go from guitarist with a bass, to bass player is going to be a bit of a move in this case.
    £20 paid to JB.  It should be with me tomorrow.

I am auditioning for a rockabilly band.  To go from guitarist with a bass, to bass player is going to be a bit of a move in this case.
    It’ll do the job perfectly well. Can be battery or mains, and sounds fine. 

Good luck with the audition! ;)
    I am auditioning for a rockabilly band. 
    Try to position yourself in the room somewhere that you can easily make eye contact with the drummer. e.g. A straight line of drummer's bonce, the hi-hat stand, your bonce. Lock in together. Get feet tapping or audiences dancing. Enjoy.

For a more upright bass sound, try the Motown foam mute trick. Initially, you will hate this but it should fit better with the genre.

Finally, on no account should you break into your four-movement Prog Rock bass solo suite between songs.
    Be seeing you.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I am auditioning for a rockabilly band. 
    Try to position yourself in the room somewhere that you can easily make eye contact with the drummer. e.g. A straight line of drummer's bonce, the hi-hat stand, your bonce. Lock in together. Get feet tapping or audiences dancing. Enjoy.

For a more upright bass sound, try the Motown foam mute trick. Initially, you will hate this but it should fit better with the genre.

Finally, on no account should you break into your four-movement Prog Rock bass solo suite between songs.
    All that time I’ve wasted on my four movement prog rock bass solo suite…
    You are Derek Smalls and I claim my five Guineas.
    Be seeing you.
  • I have fitted the foam. My initial thoughts were "These fools do not know what they are talking about!", then I knocked off the compressor.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Also I've had the same strings on the bass since I bought it.  Are the rules different for bass strings, or do they need changing as often as guitar strings?
    Also I've had the same strings on the bass since I bought it.  Are the rules different for bass strings, or do they need changing as often as guitar strings?
    If roundwound, then they should remain bright for a year or two - you can keep them on, or change them if you want something with “new string” brightness.

If flats, then theoretically they can last as long as you like - up to never changing them…