Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Boss Katana 50 MKII - Footswitch options - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Boss Katana 50 MKII - Footswitch options

What's Hot
LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1024
edited December 2022 in Digital & Modelling
**UPDATED THREAD**

Said student is now getting the Boss Katana 50 MKII amp. I'm not sure it comes with a footswitch however. There's options like the Boss FS2 latching switch and the Airstep but they're quite expensive. 

What other options are there for a cheap and "will do the job" of switching between two channels (i.e clean/dirty)? I have watched a few YouTube videos and believe you save the Tone Settings under Ch1 and Ch2. Like this video:

Something like this might do the job but it costs more than the item to ship from the US

British Style Two Button Footswitch for Amps - StewMac

**ORIGINAL POST**

One of my guitar students is looking for a decent amp, preferably a combo one but anything that will have a nice tube overdrive sound as that's what he'll be using most of the time. But the facility to switch to clean is required too.

I would think for budget he's not looking to spend more than £200-300, and not too loud either, well...maybe if he gets gigging in a band but we're not talking big stages. It'll be mainly for home use.

A recording/direct out connection would be handy too as we actually do most of our lessons online. His parents are buying him a mixer/interface for Christmas so if he can have an amp he can run directly into this it'd be cool.

I already suggested a Marshall DSL5 combo or the Boss Katana 50w but are there any others out there that are slightly less money? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Shameless plug, but I'm selling an Orange Rocker 15 head that ticks those boxes. 

Could get into a Hot Rod Deluxe or maybe a Laney Cub for that budget too. Those would be my picks!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Shameless plug, but I'm selling an Orange Rocker 15 head that ticks those boxes. 

Could get into a Hot Rod Deluxe or maybe a Laney Cub for that budget too. Those would be my picks!
    Hmm..he'd need a cab as well then....I do have a 1x12 I could sell him too for a decent price as I don't use it anymore....

Me personally I haven't been a fan of Orange heads. Love their cabs though.

He likes the punk rock stuff so a nice saturated overdrive, instead of fuzzy farty distortion.
  • It's not valve, but for home playing he could do worse than the Yammy THR in the Classifieds:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/217086/fs-yamaha-thr10ii-guitar-modelling-amplifier-great-condition-with-original-box-instructions
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1189
    If one pops up at the right price then the Hughes & Kettering Tubemeister 18 (available as a dinky 1x 10 combo, which is the one Youngest Son has or a head) ticks all the boxes. Laney LC. VC, or Cub series are all good too, but I don’t think you get a speaker emulated DI out in the package with them…
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • Sorry I missed out that he probably wants a combo amp so he doesn't have to get a separate cab but if the price is right and sound is good he may consider an amp head. Edited title a bit.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    Boss Katana 50w...
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    The one in the ads has gone now but a fender super champ x 2 is a great amp, especially with a speaker swap, great cleans, can have it driven at home volumes, loud enough if he ever wants to play with mates/in a pub etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Boss Katana 50w...
    This is the cheaper of my two recommendations. I haven't used one myself but everyone seems to love the Katana. 

Does it have a footswitch to operate clean/dirty channels? I think there's several channels on it (like 3-4)
    Boss Katana 50w...
    This is the cheaper of my two recommendations. I haven't used one myself but everyone seems to love the Katana. 

Does it have a footswitch to operate clean/dirty channels? I think there's several channels on it (like 3-4)
    The 50w will switch patches using a normal one-button foot switch (an unlatched one I think).

The 100w you can buy a fancy footswitch called the GA-FC that lets you control patches, banks, FX etc - this will NOT work with the 50w.

The 50w has two banks of two patches, so four can be stored in total.

FX wise, it's basically a cut down GT100 with an amp attached - with the default settings you can dial a lot of sounds from the panel, but you can also use the tone studio software to simply play with the default panel settings or for really in-depth patch creation - a big community making patches online as well.

I've got an old Mk1 Katana 50 and I've used it for literally everything, from home playing with the 1w mode, to small jams (where the 25w mode is plenty loud enough with a drummer...) to a small gig!

That's it's real strength is it does everything in one small relatively inexpensive box.

Many will say of course it would be better to have an amp that  does one thing superbly than lots of things competently - but if you switch a lot between styles, maybe doesn't apply as much..?

There was a lot of hype when they came out that everyone could chuck out their HRDs for a Katana or their boutique valve amps etc - which is obviously nonsense - and generated a lot of negativity for the brand from some quarters.

I think they are great little amps :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited November 2021
    The footswitch is extra, but any standard 2 button latching footswitch with a cable terminating in stereo jack will work.  You can get them as cheap as £12.   It comes out of the box with 4 presets, two banks each storing settings for two channels, but immediately you move knobs it is into "live" mode or you can press the "Panel" button at any time to go into this manual mode.  You can store and overwrite those four presets, but can easily restore the amp to factory settings by following button presses detailed in the manual.  The footwitch allows you to to switch between BANK A and BANK B and CH1 and CH2.

• Boss Katana 50w...

The 50w will switch patches using a normal one-button foot switch (an unlatched one I think).

The 100w you can buy a fancy footswitch called the GA-FC that lets you control patches, banks, FX etc - this will NOT work with the 50w.

The 50w has two banks of two patches, so four can be stored in total.

FX wise, it's basically a cut down GT100 with an amp attached - with the default settings you can dial a lot of sounds from the panel, but you can also use the tone studio software to simply play with the default panel settings or for really in-depth patch creation - a big community making patches online as well.

I've got an old Mk1 Katana 50 and I've used it for literally everything, from home playing with the 1w mode, to small jams (where the 25w mode is plenty loud enough with a drummer...) to a small gig!

That's it's real strength is it does everything in one small relatively inexpensive box.

Many will say of course it would be better to have an amp that  does one thing superbly than lots of things competently - but if you switch a lot between styles, maybe doesn't apply as much..?

There was a lot of hype when they came out that everyone could chuck out their HRDs for a Katana or their boutique valve amps etc - which is obviously nonsense - and generated a lot of negativity for the brand from some quarters.

I think they are great little amps :)
    Right, I see, well he would only need 2 main sounds during songs - clean and dirty, maybe if he was doing a solo he can setup a 3rd channel as a boost.

I don't think they do any smaller sizes than a 50w but it has a switch to control the wattage doesn't it? Makes it versatile if he wanted to take it out to do gigs, or switch down to play at home.

I think he will stick with this for a while so it'd be good to get something that can do a bit of everything as he may grow out of this music style and maybe want to do more clean based songs perhaps.
    BillDL said:
    The footswitch is extra, but any standard 2 button latching footswitch with a cable terminating in stereo jack will work.  You can get them as cheap as £12.   It comes out of the box with 4 presets, two banks each storing settings for two channels, but immediately you move knobs it is into "live" mode.  You can store and overwrite those four presets, but can easily restore the amp to factory settings by following button presses detailed in the manual.  The footwitch allows you to to switch between BANK A and BANK B and CH1 and CH2.

Ahh -that's interesting - didn't realise a 2-button one now worked that way :)
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 5615
    edited November 2021
    The Katana 50 is a pretty light amp that isn't a whole lot larger than its 12" speaker, but if students are coming to you for lessons it would still be a lot more to carry than the likes of a very portable Yamaha THR.
  • Bright Onion do a 4-button switch to work with the Katana 50: https://www.brightonion.co.uk/katana-preset-footswitch/

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• BillDL said:
    The Katana 50 is a pretty light amp that isn't a whole lot larger than its 12" speaker, but if students are coming to you for lessons it would still be a lot more to carry than the likes of a very portable Yahama THR.
    Our lessons are mainly online so it'd pretty much stay in his house so I want a good one for him! Occasionally he does come into my teaching room but if he does he uses my Marshall DSL5cr combo which he likes, but they're around £300 odd right now. Any other electric learners use this too to save them carrying their own amp (makes changeover between lessons quicker too).
  • Bright Onion do a 4-button switch to work with the Katana 50: https://www.brightonion.co.uk/katana-preset-footswitch/

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I'd say if he wants some decent FX then a Katana is going to be a winner.

If it's more about getting a decent base tone then the DSL will sound better (although the direct out is not amazing)

If buying secondhand then a Bandit or a Tech21 TM60 would also be options.

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 808
    I can't recommend anything other than the Katana 50 at this price point.
    I use both the 100 watt combo and head versions, and with some vigilance either of these might be available second hand at just under £200, but the footswitch is an expensive add on, it does give access to 9 patches though, and is very heavy duty.
    Another recommendation, which will be ridiculed by some, is a Marshall Code, 25 and 50, which are both essentially the same, but have very different cabs. The 25 is perfect for  home use, and I currently gig with a 50. Both are very cheap, but amazing value for money, the software is a bit buggy, by using blutooth for connection to the app, but once the pre-sets are stored and tweaked, can, and does sound great, for essentially the price of a decent overdrive pedal, the entire history of Marshall in a box.
    Sadly, the idea didn't really catch on, and development stopped for some reason, but a 25 will be easy and cheap to find, I sold mine for £100, as it was redundant for me, I am using a 100 watt Katana head as my home amp-obviously only on half watt setting, and I love it.
    Both of these options also double up as USB interfaces for the inevitable journey into computer recording, and both are massively tweakable via apps and software, more options than anybody would ever need. The Katana contains every Boss pedal, and the Marshall has modelled versions of every generation of Marshall amp and cab.
    It is a great time to be a guitarist, really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'd say if he wants some decent FX then a Katana is going to be a winner.

If it's more about getting a decent base tone then the DSL will sound better (although the direct out is not amazing)

If buying secondhand then a Bandit or a Tech21 TM60 would also be options.

His current one is a really crappy Harley Benton solid state one I think. The distortion channel is terrible. Fuzzy and farty. 

He really appreciates the difference between my Marshall combo and his one at home! But yes the direct out is a bit naff (much prefer the speaker sound but that'd involve him having to mic it up with an SM57 or something).
  • andy_k said:
    I can't recommend anything other than the Katana 50 at this price point.
    I use both the 100 watt combo and head versions, and with some vigilance either of these might be available second hand at just under £200, but the footswitch is an expensive add on, it does give access to 9 patches though, and is very heavy duty.
    Another recommendation, which will be ridiculed by some, is a Marshall Code, 25 and 50, which are both essentially the same, but have very different cabs. The 25 is perfect for  home use, and I currently gig with a 50. Both are very cheap, but amazing value for money, the software is a bit buggy, by using blutooth for connection to the app, but once the pre-sets are stored and tweaked, can, and does sound great, for essentially the price of a decent overdrive pedal, the entire history of Marshall in a box.
    Sadly, the idea didn't really catch on, and development stopped for some reason, but a 25 will be easy and cheap to find, I sold mine for £100, as it was redundant for me, I am using a 100 watt Katana head as my home amp-obviously only on half watt setting, and I love it.
    Both of these options also double up as USB interfaces for the inevitable journey into computer recording, and both are massively tweakable via apps and software, more options than anybody would ever need. The Katana contains every Boss pedal, and the Marshall has modelled versions of every generation of Marshall amp and cab.
    It is a great time to be a guitarist, really.
    The Code 25 sounds alright, just looked up a demo of it. Obviously more friendly price too but I think they can get a better one than that. Also no footswitchable option as far as I can see.

They'd be better off with a Katana 50 I think.
    I agree, a K50 is probably the ideal amp, but if gigs are on the horizon, I would recommend getting the 100, it has a more gig friendly 12 inch speaker, there have been a few on sale here for around £250 with the big footswitch, which is needed really to get the most out of it, £89 seems a lot for a switch, but it is very heavy duty.
    The Code also has a switch ( cheaper, cheaper feel ) ,basically the same amp as the bigger ones, and it gives access to around 30 patches plus FX per patch.
    I wish Marshall had basically built the whole thing into a footswitch, would have been a gamechanger, but I think they decided to stick with the valve side of the market.
    I think both Code 25, and K50 are using 10 inch speakers, the Code 50, and the K100 are both quite a bit bigger and use 12 inch speakers, which makes them more giggable.
    At the price point, there is nothing to be lost by trying either really ( Code 25, K50 )
    Code 50, is a bit too big for home use though, and if a K100 head is available, snap it up, built in 5 inch speaker makes it perfect for home use, half watt settings, and midi control for advanced use, I honestly think it is the perfect amp. A bit harder to find second hand, but if one pops up, at around £150-£200, it is a no-brainer.
    The 100 combo is very neat, (slightly smaller than Code 50 ) and I have one as my back up live amp, when the Code 50 eventually dies, it has served me very well for the last 4 years though. Next gig will be tomorrow, first for 2 years, so I am probably tempting fate here, but I have the K100 in reserve.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I'd also give this a look: https://www.nuxefx.com/mighty-40-bt.html

If it's the same engine as the Mighty Air it will sound better than the Katana.
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1030
    edited November 2021
    There is a B Stock Laney Cub Super 12 at Thomann within your budget which would cover both playing at home, on the less than 1w input and also playing on stage on the full 15w input.

The only thing it doesn’t have is a DI output with speaker simulation.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_cub_super12_b_stock.htm
    andy_k said:

I think both Code 25, and K50 are using 10 inch speakers, the Code 50, and the K100 are both quite a bit bigger and use 12 inch speakers, which makes them more giggable.

The Katana 50 has a 12 inch speaker - the 100 just has a slightly different one to soak up the extra power.

K50 can handle small pub gigs just fine, but of course the 100 is louder, just not much, and it's a bit bigger and heavier with it, so loses a bit of portability.
  • The other thing I will have to think about is ease of use - he's still learning his skills on the instrument and some of these amps have so many buttons and settings its easy to get lost in all the controls. Maybe if he was more experienced he'd have a bit of fun with exploring the different sounds, but right now he just needs on/off I think.

One advantage to him getting a DSL is he'd be using the same amp as he would do in my room, but then again he's not in there every week, its just whenever he gets a free slot on a weekend come up he'll swap his online lesson to one in-person. Looking at keeping this once every couple of months.

The gig-proof thing is also a factor as I don't want to make him get something twice, for if he eventually joins a band to play shows.
    I'll confess - I only use the tone studio for Katana to change the default FX available - then just do a little widdle of some knobs and away.

I'm a hideously uncultured player of course, but I find that if you get a sorta good "panel" setup, then you just choose your channel, choose an OD pedal if you like, a mod and a delay... then a bit of verb... and off you go!

Sometimes the clean with a "pedal" is the best sound going - but the "brown" channel is ridiculous fun.
  • BillDL said:
    The Katana 50 is a pretty light amp that isn't a whole lot larger than its 12" speaker, but if students are coming to you for lessons it would still be a lot more to carry than the likes of a very portable Yahama THR.
    Our lessons are mainly online so it'd pretty much stay in his house so I want a good one for him! Occasionally he does come into my teaching room but if he does he uses my Marshall DSL5cr combo which he likes, but they're around £300 odd right now. Any other electric learners use this too to save them carrying their own amp (makes changeover between lessons quicker too).
    DSL5CR sounds perfect and should cover most bases for rock and has an attenuator ,he’s already familiar with it  and you could probably mike it up for a gig or rehearsal if needed 

sounds like a win . I thought there was one on here s/h reasonable but probably mistaken 
    andy_k said:

The Katana 50 has a 12 inch speaker - the 100 just has a slightly different one to soak up the extra power.

K50 can handle small pub gigs just fine, but of course the 100 is louder, just not much, and it's a bit bigger and heavier with it, so loses a bit of portability.
    I haven't actually seen a K50, only the pics of the range, and I was thinking the size meant it used a smaller one than the 100, the Code 25 I had was considerably smaller than my Code 50, and would not have worked as a gigging amp, but my K100 combo is slightly smaller than my Code 50, both 12 inch speakers, K100 is open back,Code 50 is a closed box, IMO K100 head wins the whole game, haven't had mine through a 4 x 12 yet though, neighbours.
  • I have a Blackstar HT5 for £250 Im about to put up for sale
  • Not really a fan of Blackstar amps lol. I know its not me using it but its me that has to hear it every week on a stream!