Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NBD - Sire M5 (5 string) - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NBD - Sire M5 (5 string)

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
edited November 2021 in Bass
After checking out numerous reviews for 5 string basses that won't break the bank (or my back), I went for a Sire M5.

Good 1st impressions. It feels nice and has a good range of sounds.

8.75lb, which isn't too bad for a 5 string.  That's it for my intrument purchases for the forseeable future.

https://i.imgur.com/oHBtjUT.jpg

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• BorkBork Frets: 231

That's it for my intrument purchases for the forseeable future.
    Yeahhhhh, right.  ;-)

(Sire make good stuff BTW.)

[This space for rent]

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    Nice!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    Very nice... I've got a Sire MM V3 mk2 5 string in Natural Mahogany.. Beautiful, well made guitars. Just spent a week in the recording studio with it and it sounds superb. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2072
    edited November 2021
    I found one trivial issue, which had a very easy fix. 

After I'd raised the action to my taste, I couldn't quite get enough bridge saddle adjustment range on the bottom two strings, and the octaves were still coming up a few cents sharp, even when the adjustment screws were fully screwed into their blind holes.

Washers under the screw heads (pic below) worked well to offset the screws backwards a bit and now the octave intonation is perfect. Shortening the screws a bit might be a more elegant solution, but I didn't want to knacker the threads at the end of the screws.

To be fair, I've had intonation adjustment range issues on far more expensive guitars. This one was a very easy fix.

https://i.imgur.com/qgul4Dc.jpg

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Nice one, I really like the M series!
  • Ah, I see you have a new one too. Nice grab. I can only deal with 4 Strings at the moment  :)
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.