Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Has anybody mixed brands/types of pickups on a Jazz Bass? - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Has anybody mixed brands/types of pickups on a Jazz Bass?

Is there any benefit of mixing types of pickups, say SJB1 in neck and SJB3 in bridge?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    edited November 2021
    The greater output of the SJB-3B would oblige you to adjust it a fair bit further from the strings than an SJB-1N. This should leave space for a plectrum or flailing fingertips.

I can think of no other benefits.

Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    It will also reduce the effectiveness of the hum cancellation when both are up full. For the best result you want both pickups as close to the same as possible.

I like a hotter bridge pickup if it's in a PJ, because a stock J bridge is too weak compared to the P pickup, but in a standard Jazz I think they sound better matching.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Cheers for the advice. I only ask as Strings Direct selling SJB1n for rediculously low price and a used QPb selling locally. 

The concept sounds like a no-go in all honesty.
    I only ask as Strings Direct selling SJB1n for rediculously low price  
    That is a very good, if slightly odd, deal. 

Jazz Bass pickups are usually bought either as a calibrated pair or just the long/Bridge unit to combine with a Precision Bass pickup. 

The only common use for a solitary short/Neck position Jazz Bass pickup is in combination with a Stingray-type.

The smart solution would be to buy the discounted Strings Direct pickup now and source a matching SJB-1B elsewhere. 

The only possible fly in the ointment would be that one pickup might have a Basslines logo whilst a more recent one reads Seymour Duncan. (The ink is chemically removeable.)
    Be seeing you.
  • Does the SJB1 cover most sounds? I'm always tempted by the likes of QP because they are so popular (I have QP in my P-type).

My original music is more alt-rock and my covers band is more 70s/80s generally. 

A vintage-voiced pickup like the SJB1 would work surely? 
    A matched bridge/neck pair of either model should work nicely. 

The signal strength to which you are accustomed from the Quarter Pound pickup in your Precision will make the SJB-1 pair seem underpowered. 

The locally available, pre-owned QP might prove your better bet … unless you have an early Fender MIM Standard Jazz Bass. Those had two short pickups and, hence, short routed cavities.  
    Be seeing you.