Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Up or Down - Technique Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Up or Down

What's Hot
Which is more important to you.....the up or down stroke?
tae be or not tae be
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10211
    Are we talking guitar?
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    Downstrum is about timing
    Up strum  is about groove 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tabanotabano Frets: 90
    depending on the accents really,

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

• as a southpaw - I spent several years playing my Dad's right handed guitars the wrong way up - as he gigged them and, for a while, that was the sole income for the household. 

As a result my up-stroke in chords needed to be stronger and clearer to emulate other musicians (an important part of learning)

That means decades later, I still sometimes start on the upstroke (okay for Reggae and Bossanova) but not so good for everything else.

I had a lesson with Phil Robson once a long time ago and he practised playing tunes with nothing but down strokes.. 

I don't know if either is more important. or if one direction is weighted for one thing or the other ... my left hand (picking hand) is still a complete mystery to me :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • If I can be a facetious arse for a moment, I am finding that it's actually the strums I don't make that I'm focusing on - if you take down-down-down-down and down-up-down-up-down-up-down-up as the default patterns, it's the beats I don't play that make my playing (such as it is) sound better and more musical.

As a beginner, I'd say that down strums are the most important in general though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    Depends on the player.
    People should work on their weaknesses, if your downstrokes are weak then work on them... I am sure you can fill in the rest.
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    octatonic said:

I am sure you can fill in the rest.

With an upstroke. 
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2093
    Imho depends on the music.

Ramones-down
    Reggae-up
    Nile Rodgers-down up very fast and mute for accents

And so on.

I don't actually think about it as technique just how to play the song.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LewyLewy Frets: 3795
    edited October 2021
    Downstroke, because I use the bluegrass/flat picking philosophy of downstroke on the downbeat, upstroke on the offbeat, so for me downstroke is always the beat (or rather the beat is always a downstroke)
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4697
    I'm sure I read once that John Lennon only played downstrokes in his rhythm parts - anyone able to verify/disprove?

• MellishMellish Frets: 945
    @Nitefly I think in the Get Back rooftop performance there's a side-on view of his strumming hand that shows him doing down up. It may be a different performance I'm thinking of but I've seen it somewhere :) 
  • They’re both important, and has already been said it depends on the song. Accenting of either upstroke or downstroke is needed for certain genres (eg some metal styles or reggae), or a particular beat in the bar. You can generally hear if something doesn’t sound quite right, so I’d suggest working on both.