Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). If you had 8 hours a day to practice what would you do? - Technique Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

If you had 8 hours a day to practice what would you do?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BarneyBarney Frets: 598
    Probably anything but practice ....I think you can learn all you need in a few hours a day  iff working on the right things 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Depends on your objectives

And whether or not those 8 hours were concurrent or broken up.
    Teacher, musician, corporate trainer, researcher, freelance human being, cultural explorer, self-styled 'progressive thinker', and generally an enthusiastic, peaceful idealist. Run the Contemporary Guitar Performance Workshop education project and the Audio Design Workshop studio. Online guitar and piano/keyboard lessons available over Zoom/Skype. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I used to practice 4 - 8 hours a day, combined with studying at the GIT.

The key thing is that the practice has to be structured, goal oriented and develop over time.

My practice was largely dictated by the course but it was vaguely:

Ear training, sight reading, scales, arpeggios, chords, licks in style of, learning songs for live performance. Specific techniques and fingerstyle.

A key element was recording yourself and listening back. Really focusing on quality.

It made me loads better, but I did struggle to maintain it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3293

A key element was recording yourself and listening back. Really focusing on quality.
    Oh man, yes - but is there anything more brutal than listening back to oneself?  :3 Especially as relating to time. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    I do,  and I don't, not sure I ever have TBH probably why after 47 years Im still shit  

no need to thank me  -  =)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Based on experience......... I'd prob just piss around on youtube for a bit, then get distracted and record a bunch of chugging on reaper. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    I think I'd tit about and waste the majority of time, but I'd love the opportunity.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    edited November 2021
    The only time I really practice is if I'm trying to record something and I repeat it to get a good take. I've not actually recorded anything for years. 
    If just playing is practice then I do that a fair bit. 
    I usually come up with a part play it a few times to get it smooth then start playing something else.