Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). New Fractal FM9 floor unit - looks good! - Digital & Modelling Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

New Fractal FM9 floor unit - looks good!

What's Hot
mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
edited August 2021 in Digital & Modelling
Fixes most of the issues I have with FM3 - more like the AX8 in capability.

Announcing the New FM9 Amp Modeler/FX Processor | Fractal Audio Systems Forum

Karma......
Ebay mark7777_1
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    edited August 2021
    Twice the CPU of the FM3.

20.2″ x 9.2″ x 3.5″ (512mm x 233mm x 88mm) -- same dimensions as the FC-12

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fm9-faq.176134/
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4005
    edited August 2021
    What a surprise, nothing on G66, so we’ll wait a year and pay through the nose, nice one Fractal 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 9175
    Wow!!!!! Will it support double amps?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    Finally. I’m down.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Yep, two amps and two reverbs
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
    Thanks for the heads up.   Looks great!
    edited August 2021
    Waitlist@g66.eu (corrected from my initial error) is the usual g66 join the waitlist email address.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    Comparison of FM3 FM9 and Axe III features

https://www.fractalaudio.com/family/
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Looks really cool but you can guarantee it’s going to cost an arm and a leg compared to the competition over here in the UK. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited August 2021
    mrkb said:
    Yep, two amps and two reverbs
    Looks like my Axe 3 and FC12 will be going! I’ve joined the EU waitlist. 

Fiftyshadesofjay said:
    Looks really cool but you can guarantee it’s going to cost an arm and a leg compared to the competition over here in the UK. 
    It’s priced more or less the same as the QC in the States. I think it’ll be a similar thing here. 
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 403
    USA cost is $1599
    Not sure how costs of other units have been translating to £ - can anyone chime in on that?

Having been through the specs I think I could comfortably run all of my current AF3 patches on the FM9 and as it's exactly the same size as the FC12 it'll be a straight swap on my board...

Tempted 
  • CFHCFH Frets: 437
    I just picked up an FM3 which is a phenomenal unit. Does anyone know when these are due to land with g66? 

I'd like to get a good few months out of the FM3 before I splurge on one of these! 
    I don’t think anyone knows right now.
  • Woah.

Woah.

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I'm getting one.

Bye!

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 851
    Oh. Now. This is good 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3178
    edited August 2021
    Now you're talking and it'll be interesting to see the price! G66 say it'll be between £1599-1699 and I hope it's cheaper than the combined price of an FM3 and FC6.

I also hope to see some used FM3's up for sale for sub-£1K/£900 as one of those would do me, too.

Leon Todd has just put up a 20 min video and it's impressive
    I'm getting one.
    It has half the power of an Axe-Fx 3, will that be enough for what you'd want it to do?

Dedicated chips for reverb though which helps to free up some CPU
  • DavusPG said:
    I'm getting one.
    It has half the power of an Axe-Fx 3, will that be enough for what you'd want it to do?

Yeah, the FM3 isn't enough on paper, but this has plenty of juice for me.

Bye!

DavusPG said:
    I'm getting one.

There’s a few YouTube videos that show adding the two highest quality reverb blocks only adds about 1% to cpu usage, due to the dedicated cpu which looks promising.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1774
    Hmm…do I need more than the FM3 gives me? I tend to use it in 4CM anyway (and use the amp modelling as a backup) - with the attached FC6 that’s 9 buttons…do I need 2 reverb blocks(no), 2 amp blocks (no) - the extra in/outs would be nice!! Now if it had an amp switching jack on it ala FX8 then I would be interested but with me being happy with my current presets I can’t see me getting one on the 1st run anyway - I have put myself on the waiting list though!!

I might wait for a AFXIII to come up used if someone is looking to sell when their name comes up on the FM9 waiting list…pair that with my FC6 and my Voes controller and there’s 11 buttons..

welshboyo said:

I might wait for a AFXIII to come up used if someone is looking to sell when their name comes up on the FM9 waiting list…

That’ll be me then ;)
    edited August 2021
    Info from G66 on cost and availability 

“Thank you for signing up for the FM9 waitlist. As usual, Fractal Audio will sell the first production run domestically as the final phase of their quality assurance process, so it will take a few weeks before it starts shipping internationally. The price should be about EUR 1899-1999 including VAT and three years' warranty - we will inform you when we get more details.“
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • welshboyo said:
    Hmm…do I need more than the FM3 gives me? I tend to use it in 4CM anyway (and use the amp modelling as a backup) - with the attached FC6 that’s 9 buttons…do I need 2 reverb blocks(no), 2 amp blocks (no) - the extra in/outs would be nice!! Now if it had an amp switching jack on it ala FX8 then I would be interested but with me being happy with my current presets I can’t see me getting one on the 1st run anyway - I have put myself on the waiting list though!!

I might wait for a AFXIII to come up used if someone is looking to sell when their name comes up on the FM9 waiting list…pair that with my FC6 and my Voes controller and there’s 11 buttons..

Can you use the FM3 in front of a valve amp and just use the FX?
    welshboyo said:

Can you use the FM3 in front of a valve amp and just use the FX?
    Yes, you can do that with any of the Fractal units.
    mrkb said:
    Waitlist@g66.com is the usual g66 join the waitlist email address.
    That doesn't work.
    I just emailed Sussi.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2318
    DavusPG said:
    I'm getting one.

Are we taking bets on how long before we get the inevitable "Went back to my tuba amps and THEY'RE ALL I EVA NEEEED" thread?

The FM9 looks awesome, although I'm still glad I got the AFX3 and FC12 - more powah!
    Yup, although I have a main preset on the AxeFx3 that runs at around 85%, in reality I only ever use a handful of the effects in it and rarely use dual amp blocks, so I expect the FM9 will be plenty for my needs.

Only thing with all floorbased units is they're susceptible to pints being dropped/spilt on them. Admittedly my FC12 is just as vulnerable but at least with that it's only the foot controller that gets buggered

All part of the fun that comes with playing at the Dog & Duck I guess!!!
  • FarleyUK said:
    DavusPG said:
    I'm getting one.

Are we taking bets on how long before we get the inevitable "Went back to my tuba amps and THEY'RE ALL I EVA NEEEED" thread?

The FM9 looks awesome, although I'm still glad I got the AFX3 and FC12 - more powah!
    Effects only. Will probably sell my Quad Cortex and get one of these.

Bye!

edited August 2021
    octatonic said:
    mrkb said:
    Waitlist@g66.com is the usual g66 join the waitlist email address.
    That doesn't work.
    I just emailed Sussi.

Should be waitlist@g66.eu which will send you an auto confirmation you're on the list.