Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Case covering repair - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Case covering repair

What's Hot
My Takamine EN20C case has lots of nicks and abrasions on the edges and corners. I've looked on the web and there's little that helps me manage a repair this area. The problem is that the covering has to stretch both around the corners of the case where the sides meet the top and bottom and around the curves that broadly follow the contours of the guitar. I'm at a bit of a loss to know what to get to do the repair and the only helpful web entry was where a repair person took short strips of Tolex and glued them around the case. Not very neat but serviceable.

The only material I have come up with is this:

But it seems a bit lightweight far the job. Is there an accepted way of doing this as I can't find an appropriate case just now or will I have to live with it. The case is still structurally sound just looks very tatty.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7202
    Pictures of the case? You could run black shoo goo along exposed edges if it needs a bit of a tidy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 213
    Afraid I can't post pics. Besides, I've tried to disguise the problem with black marker, so you probably wouldn't see much.

Thanks for trying.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4843
    If the case is old, why not try The Repair Shop tv program.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Never thought of that but I doubt they'd be interested in a 1997 guitar case? Not even sure how I'd even try. Leave it with me.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    In my experience the best way to fix a Takamine case is to put it in the bin and buy a Hiscox.

Every one I've seen has been flimsy thin ply with flimsier thinner vinyl that rips easily and looks tatty, weak hinges and latches, and if it's spent any significant part of its life not under a bed, the case shortly falls apart.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ICBM said:
    In my experience the best way to fix a Takamine case is to put it in the bin and buy a Hiscox.

Every one I've seen has been flimsy thin ply with flimsier thinner vinyl that rips easily and looks tatty, weak hinges and latches, and if it's spent any significant part of its life not under a bed, the case shortly falls apart.

Looked at getting another case but the dimensions are large and I can't seem to easily locate one.

Overall - 1120
    Lower bout - 475
    Upper bout - 365
    Waist - 325
    depth - 160
    Body length about 600.

These taken from the outside of the existing case so internal a bit smaller.

Any suggestions?

Hiscox Dreadnought case probably - I doubt the EN is bigger than a standard Dreadnought. I've got one - inconveniently far away from you, as I was possibly thinking of selling it - but the internal measurements are:

Overall length - 1070mm
    Body length - 540mm
    Lower bout width - 410mm
    Upper bout width - 310mm
    Waist - n/a, it's straight between the two bouts
    Lower bout depth - 110mm
    Upper bout depth - 100mm

If that fails they do a Jumbo case too, but it's much more expensive new and rare second hand.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

edited August 2021
    ICBM said:
    Hiscox Dreadnought case probably - I doubt the EN is bigger than a standard Dreadnought. I've got one - inconveniently far away from you, as I was possibly thinking of selling it - but the internal measurements are:

Overall length - 1070mm
    Body length - 540mm
    Lower bout width - 410mm
    Upper bout width - 310mm
    Lower bout depth - 110mm
    Upper bout depth - 100mm

If that fails they do a Jumbo case too, but it's much more expensive new and rare second hand.

Finally got off my fat but and measured the guitar. Afraid it's a bit big for that case:

Overall 1070
    Lower bout 435
    Upper bout 320
    Waist 260
    Depth 125 - 130
    Body length 530

Thanks anyway. I'll keep looking.

Incidentally, the case is still perfectly functional and in one piece. I'm not that hard on my guitars although this one has more than a little wear and tear.

Yes, that’s going to need a Jumbo case.

• ICBM said:

Overall length - 1070mm
    Body length - 540mm
    Lower bout width - 410mm
    Upper bout width - 310mm
    Lower bout depth - 110mm
    Upper bout depth - 100mm

Turns out that I should have done my research more carefully. The Jumbo fits perfectly.

Hey ho, that's life.