Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Telecaster pickup suggestions please - Other Reviews Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Telecaster pickup suggestions please

I’ve just bought a tele partscaster on eBay (Fender road worn nitro refinished body, Allparts fat neck), but without pickups. I think I got a good deal for 300 quid and I’d really appreciate help with choosing some pickups.

I’ve got another tele with ‘51 Nocasters in it, but for this one I’d like something a bit warmer sounding. I was thinking of some Quarter Pounders and I’ve also been looking at Monty’s (they seem to be very well regarded). 

Do I need to spend £150 - £200, or will I be paying for the name? 

I see Oil City pickups mentioned quite a lot and on eBay there are brands of hand wired pickups I’ve never heard of - like Alegree and No.19 from Parkhurst guitars. 

Can these brands compete with SD, Monty’s etc?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 11457
    I would buy a set on here second hand, members will tell you what sort of sounds you will get. 

It’s all subjective, my favourite tele pickups have been bare knuckle country boys but they are lower output vintage sounding rather than warm. 

I’ve heard great sounding alegree pickups and tone master and axes r us make good pickups too. 

My least favourite were Tex mex as they didn’t have the twang I wanted but they are well thought of generally. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 861
    I’m selling a set of aged Klein Epic Nocasters, let me know if you’re interested.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/211697/fs-ft-klein-epic-nocaster-pickup-set#latest

• EvanEvan Frets: 320
    Zoolooter said:
    I’m selling a set of aged Klein Epic Nocasters, let me know if you’re interested.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/211697/fs-ft-klein-epic-nocaster-pickup-set#latest

Thanks. Never heard of those, but I’ll look into them.
  • RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 118
    Can't comment on tele pickups but as a strat player I have both oil city and minty pups, they're really good.

Aparently thr monty DP ones are great