Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Let’s talk about voltages - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Let’s talk about voltages

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 934
    Cols said:
    I can’t believe that an interesting and relevant question about why we use 9V for guitar pedals has degenerated into a fierce-but-watching-paint-dry argument about domestic power supplies in less than 2 pages.
    Admittedly, the title of my thread directly invited this open-endedness :wink: 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    Cols said:
    I can’t believe that an interesting and relevant question about why we use 9V for guitar pedals has degenerated into a fierce-but-watching-paint-dry argument about domestic power supplies in less than 2 pages.
    Well the title of the thread is lets talk about voltages :)
    This for me is a far more interesting subject than guitars, pedals  and amps :)

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1488
    Danny1969 said:
    Cols said:
    Well the title of the thread is lets talk about voltages :)
    This for me is a far more interesting subject than guitars, pedals  and amps :)

Yay verily but I suggest that the growth of reliable SMPSUs and their mature design up to kW levels has made the debate largely redundant? Many active speakers, PA and monitor now have universal supplies as do mixer, pre amps and interfaces. This also makes auto-standby technology possible and thus ever 'greener'.
    The last bastion of 50/60Hz supplies is the high power, 20W+ 'all valve' amplifier. They could be SMPSU but I know of none and an investigation of suitable supplies a year or so ago showed none available save very expensive 'industrial' types.

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2172
    edited August 2021
    Very interesting thread, thanks @Yorkie for starting it. Just to give you an idea of how much of a technophobe I am, yesterday I changed the preamp valves in my amp for the first time and did it successfully, and just this simple task for me felt like an achievement because it worked afterwards (and I didn't set anything on fire/electrocute myself).

This forum has been an invaluable source of info for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    ecc83 said:
    Yorkie said:
    Cols said:
    I thought that was a really interesting question, and a great example of the expertise of the forum in giving the background of 9V and pitfalls of USB power.

Not just the expertise, but the patience most folks here show with newbies like me. I would never have posted these questions on a different forum. This is a truly special place.  

Jon

Pleasure Jon. You will also find Sound on Sound forum and homercording.com equally civilized.

Dave.
    Wisdom awarded for a good recommendation :)
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Very interesting thread, thanks @Yorkie for starting it. Just to give you an idea of how much of a technophobe I am, yesterday I changed the preamp valves in my amp for the first time and did it successfully, and just this simple task for me felt like an achievement because it worked afterwards (and I didn't set anything on fire/electrocute myself).

This forum has been an invaluable source of info for me.
    Agreed. Am no technophobe, yet I can't seem to get the multi-quote to work for me on this forum :grin: 

• SporkySporky Frets: 23802
    Yorkie said:
    I suppose this would make more sense in a completely new line of digital-only pedals, where the USB-C cable could serve not just for power delivery but data transfer, keeping the audio in digital form until the last pedal, which would have to be a DAC of some sort... or a class D amplifier.
    I would just like to point out that while there are a handful of (shit) implementations of Class D that take digital in, Class D is actually inherently analogue.

USB-C has issues beyond the ones Danny has identified, including that it is a connector, not a protocol, but us often confused with the latter. The protocols it supports aren't widely adhered to, so lots of kit with USB-C ports doesn't work together.

There are also still a load of stupid things electronics designers still do, such as using diodes for rectification.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."