Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Plectrum Technique - Technique Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Plectrum Technique

As usual I’ll start this with “I hope not a silly question/request” but…

Does anyone have any guidance / video for the ‘correct’ way to hold my pick. Think I’ve got into a bad habit of having a relatively straight index finger (rather than the tip curled towards my palm)

appreciate there are some EVH style ‘unorthodox’ techniques but I’m a reasonable intermediate just wanting to tighten things up. Or am I way overthinking things??

Thanks folks! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• When I started playing again after a few years off, the way I held the pick was something I realised I needed to correct. As you say, my index finger was straight.... curling if back improved my picking hugely.

Also more recently I found this video helped a lot. It’s about picking using motions coming from your forearm, as opposed to circular wrist movements. This simple switch has been a revelation for me.

https://youtu.be/1xho69iDSnQ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108

Does anyone have any guidance / video for the ‘correct’ way to hold my pick.
    There isn’t a single “correct” way. There are alternatives which suit different people and styles of playing. Plectrum size and shape can also have an impact. There are several recent discussions about holding the plectrum, and about plectrum shape. It might be worth you finding and reading a couple of those.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Great. Thanks both, much appreciated