Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Open Mics - Like & Dislikes! - Live Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Open Mics - Like & Dislikes!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DazzaDazza Frets: 90
    HAL9000 said:
    I’ve been to some where there is time limit rather than a number-of-songs limit on performers. Stops people playing three songs that are each the length of PF’s Echoes.

I actually went to something on Sunday where the microphone shields were changed after every performer - presumably to be covid compliant. 
    Totally! Time limit also the other option if it creeps beyond the lengthy 3 song limit, need a time out sign! The shields we have covered but glad you picked up on it, nice to know others are doing it too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • are there any open jam sessions in london, I'm a guitarist and haven't tried to jam live spontaneosuly before, would be agood experience I think, let me know if you guys know of good ones thnaks
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • chomer75chomer75 Frets: 6
    edited September 2021
    Deleted - found answers on another thread!
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 135
    I love the openness and the inclusiveness that comes with some I’ve been to. I’ve found long term friends through them, formed bands through them and learned a heap about what songs do and don’t work well with an acoustic. 

I don’t like the number of people who don’t really prepare properly and take a book of chords and lyrics and mumble through songs in Ill suited keys, and poor timing. 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2394
    Some open mic peeves:
    • The ‘star performer’ who turns up mid evening and expects to play straight away. They do their 3 songs then immediately leave because they’re not even slightly interested in hearing anyone else.
    • The band(s) who see it as their right to do an extended slot every week so it turns into a sort of old boys’ club where newcomers can’t get a look in.
    • Sessions that hugely overrun. I went to one Sunday afternoon open mic that was billed as 1.00 - 5.00pm. When I left at 10.30pm there was still a queue, literally, of people waiting their turn.
    You’ve definitely got the right approach @Dazza and there are excellent suggestions in this thread. Good luck with it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    edited October 2021
    Suggest that it's best if first-timers are on ealrier as Open-Mics seem to get fuller as the night goes on, and there's less to  be intimidated by if you're up in the first hour.

Also, what to do with repeat bad performers ?  Get them up early and over with !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1170
    edited October 2021
    I really don’t like the turn up, expect to play immediately and then leave as soon as you’ve done your turn types. That is absolutely not in the spirt of open mics. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • PBJPBJ Frets: 5
    People who are actually very good. Big fish, small pond. Also, the play & go ones. 

• I run one weekly in Chichester, pretty much all the points have been made already but the main things for me are:

Having a house band so there's always a fall back of something rehearsed and entertaining so non-musician punters (you know, the ones who actually buy beer) choose to stick around.

Having good equipment that musicians want to play thru, we have a couple of supro amps, nice pedal boards and a good drum kit with decent heads and cymbals - makes a big difference. 

Then it's just a case of all the house band members really being on it organising who's going next and making sure people know what they're doing etc, makes for quick changes and a fun and entertaining experience for the musicians and the drinkers.

https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management