Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Luca Stricagnoli constantly blows my mind - Music Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Luca Stricagnoli constantly blows my mind

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
His accuracy and his unbelievable techniques are just stunning, this is his crazy interpretation of While my guitar gently weeps

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Or how about the Prodigy

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Or Gorrillaz

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4001
    His skill is impressive no doubt. But I think without the performance element of it i.e. watching him, I’d struggle to listen to an album. This kind of stuff translates much better to YouTube videos than it would to CD etc. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    CHRISB50 said:
    His skill is impressive no doubt. But I think without the performance element of it i.e. watching him, I’d struggle to listen to an album. This kind of stuff translates much better to YouTube videos than it would to CD etc. 
    I agree entirely, same for Chapman stick - lovely to watch them being played, rather dry on CD (I have a few!)
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    I feel the same way after watching his stuff that I feel after looking at a picture of a beautiful sunset made with HDR and heavily photoshopped. He is an amazing technician, but everything sounds so massaged and processed that I lost interest after the first couple. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6199
    Perfectly executed, seriously practised, well arranged.
    Too gimmicky. 
    Dull as ditchwater.
    No risk, all technique. 
    I struggle to feel emotionally connected. If you saw two people playing this you'd turn off. 

Great technique though, good luck to him. Doesn't touch my touch button though. Sorry. The guy's obviously skilled and talented. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 5625
    (Just bumping this old thread rather than starting a new one.)

I saw him play live last night, and as someone mentioned above, his music is far more compelling in the flesh. Totally mesmerising. On YT, of course, the context is millions of well-produced studio music. 

But live. Fuck me! How is he doing all that? It's a wall of sound. Drums, bass, chords and lead. I don't know what transducers he has to pick up his 'kick' and 'snare' beats, but it really works. And his finger dexterity is bizarre. He can get a 90-degree angle between first and second finger on his fretting hand. Pinkie hammering (on an acoustic!) is as tight and accurate as my first and second finger.

At points he used a foot to 'play' a second guitar, and also plays a mouth organ. I do not know how he has such a multi-tasking brain for all that he does.

I am pretty happy that he did not use the slide guitar for the vocal melody lines (shown above) - I find that uninteresting. But I think my non-guitarist guests would have enjoyed that.

Super hard working, too - it was the hottest day of the year yesterday and he was drenched in sweat. Recommended.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Personally I think he's on the genius level of technique.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 16332
    goldtop said:
    (Just bumping this old thread rather than starting a new one.)

I saw him play live last night, and as someone mentioned above, his music is far more compelling in the flesh. Totally mesmerising. On YT, of course, the context is millions of well-produced studio music. 

But live. Fuck me! How is he doing all that? It's a wall of sound. Drums, bass, chords and lead. I don't know what transducers he has to pick up his 'kick' and 'snare' beats, but it really works. And his finger dexterity is bizarre. He can get a 90-degree angle between first and second finger on his fretting hand. Pinkie hammering (on an acoustic!) is as tight and accurate as my first and second finger.

At points he used a foot to 'play' a second guitar, and also plays a mouth organ. I do not know how he has such a multi-tasking brain for all that he does.

I am pretty happy that he did not use the slide guitar for the vocal melody lines (shown above) - I find that uninteresting. But I think my non-guitarist guests would have enjoyed that.

Super hard working, too - it was the hottest day of the year yesterday and he was drenched in sweat. Recommended.
    Simple, he's a drummer that is also very good at playing guitars  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter