Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What makes country music sound like country music? - Theory Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What makes country music sound like country music?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mendymendy Frets: 171
    edited August 2021
    B)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5750
    Dunno, I'm more of a Western guy to be honest.
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    "Steel guitars usually weep all over it."
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • markriglermarkrigler Frets: 12
    And what's western? As in Country and Western
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    And what's western? As in Country and Western
    Maybe due to its roots lying in the Western USA as opposed to Nashville and the South,which are considered the home of Country music?
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4052
    jpfamps said:

Actually the Tele flash solos came with Gram and Emmylou. Merle used Tele players Roy Nichols, James Burton and Roy Buchanan. 

Jimmy Bryant?
    Didn’t think anyone would really know Jimmy and Speedy, and they were classed more as side men and virtuosos and not strictly country with jazz and all sorts thrown in. But Jimmy certainly was a big influence on Albert Lee, Ray Flacke and the rest.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    It is a great question OP.  I don't think  we can conclusively answer it. We can only chew it over. (Many of the replies on this thead are compelling and persuasive).

I am listening to Trisha Yearwood's magnificent first album as I write this.
    Jesus....that was a long time ago. (That isn't a song title BTW).

I still cannot answer the OP's question but I think the following might be a clue.
    Accent.

I can just sense that Trisha is not from Rotherham.

I don't like this line of argument and I want British acts to succeed. But I just feel that Country Music is American Music....and that is not exactly controversial is it?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2064
    Skipped said:

I can just sense that Trisha is not from Rotherham.

Well spotted, Trisha Yearwood is in fact from Barnsley.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 322
    slacker said:
    The answer is Telecaster. What's The question?
    Nah.  Pedal steel.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    JohnS37 said:
    Nah.  Pedal steel.
    Pedal steel appears on more records than people realise, it’s ability to fill the sound and create broad soundscapes had taken it out of the realms of purely country music. Look at the list of credits on B.J. Cole’s CV -plenty of pop/rock/indie. It’s a producers secret weapon. 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 15285
    jpfamps said:

Actually the Tele flash solos came with Gram and Emmylou. Merle used Tele players Roy Nichols, James Burton and Roy Buchanan. 

Jimmy Bryant?
    Didn’t think anyone would really know Jimmy and Speedy, and they were classed more as side men and virtuosos and not strictly country with jazz and all sorts thrown in. But Jimmy certainly was a big influence on Albert Lee, Ray Flacke and the rest.
    The Western bit and the above mentioned guitarists had roots in Western Swing which was a v popular genre 
    Bob Willis Texas Playboys etc 
    ........Chet was very influenced by this 1940s type sound as was Les Paul even ......How High the Moon was very much in that vein
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9107
    edited June 2021
    PhilW1 said:
    A cowboy hat.
    This. Plus bonus points for lyrics mentioning...

Farm,
    Trucks,
    Church/Chapel,
    Dog,
    Gaol,
    Train,
    Mammy and/or Pappy
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    or  A blind ,crippled Uncle with an unfaithful wife , a terminal illness and a Lame Dog .
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8372
    According to Hayseed Dixie, when last I saw them perform, songs exclusively confined to the following themes: Drinkin', Cheatin', Killin' and Hell.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8372
    Dominic said:
    or  A blind ,crippled Uncle with an unfaithful wife , a terminal illness and a Lame Dog .
    Once wrote a Blues song, many moons ago, entitled 'Dead Dog and half a Bottle of Whisky'.  Some thematic crossovers, methinks.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3112
  • BarquentineBarquentine Frets: 269
    Everything you need to know: 
    ^ and every one a winner
    I just love Country Music
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1397
    A terrible childhood and/or marriage.