Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Favourite seven guitar players - Making Music Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Favourite seven guitar players

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Eddie Van Halen
    Paul Gilbert
    Vito Bratta
    Joey Landreth
    Steve Rothery
    Jerry Cantrell
    Neil Schon

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Richie Sambora - right guy for the right band with the right solos for the song

Brad Paisley - a self-admitted combination of James Burton, Albert Lee, John Jorgenson, Redd Volkaert and a few others who could probably make up a decent 7 on their own.

Albert Lee - just because

Paul Gilbert - my favourite of the technical, mainly because there is generally melody with the shred

Julian Bream - just great

Rick Parfitt - Rhythm machine

Nile Rodgers - Soul and another playing what the song needs

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Geordie Walker (Very unconventional guitar player with interesting use of dissonant chord voicings. Simple playing, but a huge guitar sound that takes up a lot of sonic territory) 

Some more obvious ones...

Andy Summers
    Josh Homme 
    Hendrix 
    Gilmour 
    James Hetfield
    Tony Iommi 

• Slash
     Joe Perry
     Keith Richards
     Ronnie Wood
     Izzy straddlin
     Gilby Clarke
     Eddie Van Halen .

7 is not really enough ,as I really dig all the 80s shredders ,hair metal bands old and new
    all the sleaze rock players  , a lot of metal players from Scandinavia like alexi laiho etc

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 4930
    Angus Young
    Gary Moore
    John Mayer
    Derek Trucks
    Eric Clapton 
    SRV
    Keith
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1067
    edited October 2021
    Chuffola said:
    I think these threads are more interesting if they're restricted to one with reasons, otherwise we just get a list of guitarists - a lot of which will be the same. 

Agreed - in which case for me it would be Jerry Garcia - so so melodic - in both the way he weaves lines around a vocal and his improvisational solos. Hearing his playing on Jack Straw off the Grateful Dead - Live in Europe 72 was when I got on the bus...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAv71VbdkBc
    Just like a headless horse without a horse.
  • dariusdarius Frets: 592
    EVH
    Satriani
    Nuno
    Slash
    Vai
    SRV
    Tufnel
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 394
    Joe Walsh - impeccable timing and feel.

Rusty Anderson - Just watch him doing 'Feel like making love' with Susanna Hoffs (No comments needed).

Ritchie Blackmore - So versatile and had the best ever Strat sound in about '73.

Dave Gilmour - Dark Side changed the DNA of a generation.  I can play the notes but can't even get close to nailing it.

Carlos Santana - Abraxas remains a total joy and his backing band were phenomenal.

Gary Moore - Not a great singer and the albums were 'ok' but fantastic live act.

Chuck Berry - OK, there were others in his time but he truly influenced everyone here in one way or another.

• This is absolutely not a well thought-out list,  but more of a first into my head list:

Slash
    Billy Gibbons
    Arielle
    Neil Young
    Paul Kossof
    Brian May
    Megan Lovell (technically lap steel, but...)

• SnapSnap Frets: 6086
    In no order, but all are people whose playing I love, learn from and would listen to whatever

Jimi Hendrix
    Bernard Sumner
    Neil Young
    Angus Young
    Dave Gilmour
    Robin Fink
    Johnny Marr
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited October 2021
    1) Wes. That guy writes sublime tunes and he can play them. It sounds so easy, but it’s bloody hard.

2) Greg Howe. His music is really quirky, spicy and spiky and he can play anything you like, really fast. His musical knowledge is like 100%. And he’s a lovely bloke.

3) Ritchie Blackmore. Tuneful. Melodic. (which is the same thing)

4) Vai, no comment

5) Al di Meola, half for the rhythm, half for the melodies. 

6) EVH, half for the rhythm, half for the melodies.

7) You know what, I’m going to go with Justin Sullivan from New Model Army for number 7. Because as well as being the best political songwriter in England, he also plays guitar quite uniquely and beautifully I think. There are loads of little tricks and knacks in his playing. He’s a natural.

Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
  • Magic Sam

Wilco

Rick Parfitt

Prince

RL Burnside

Pete Townshend 

Steve Hillage
  • This is my current favourite 7 players at the moment and no order to itb: (different from my influences)

1. Matteo Mancuso (look him up on YouTube, Jaw Dropping)
    2. Marco Sfogli
    3. Guthrie Govan
    4. Alex Hutchins
    5. Andy Timmons
    6. Reb Beach
    7. Edward Van Halen
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Based on the stuff I’m looking at online to listen to and try to learn a little bit of the styles of…

Justin Derrico
    Blues Saraceno
    Steve Lukather
    Steve Stevens
    Eric Johnson
    Billy Gibbons
    Huey Morgan

Marco Sfogli BTW is bloody amazing I’m working on one of his bits from earlier in the year which I though was just wonderful in every way!

I mean, how beautiful is this? - if I could play like this - I’d be done. 

Beneath the Surface

https://youtu.be/MjaKwNkZ2H8 

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62, Vanguard.

Please drop me a message.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BorkBork Frets: 231
    edited October 2021
    I don't have time to do seven players but my tastes are firmly in the 80's  with a couple of exceptions.

Steve Lukather
    Steve Stevens
    Nile Rodgers
    Alan Murphy
    Angus Young
    Billy Gibbons

Honourable mention to Prince but I prefer him live and improvising rather than in the studio.

[This space for rent]

• vizviz Frets: 10211
    Bork said:
    I don't have time to do seven players but my tastes are firmly in the 80's  with a couple of exceptions.

Steve Lukather
    Steve Stevens
    Nile Rodgers
    Alan Murphy
    Angus Young
    Billy Gibbons

Honourable mention to Prince but I prefer him live and improvising rather than in the studio.

I think 6 + and honourable mention counts as 7!
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Josh_CoskuJosh_Cosku Frets: 135
    edited October 2021
    I don't listen some of them that much nowadays but they influenced me a lot in the past.

Robben Ford
    John Scofield
    Bill Frisell
    Angus Young
    Josh Smith
    Matt Schofield
    Guthrie Trapp

Honorable mentions
    David Gilmour
    Jimi Hendrix
    BB King
    Eric Clapton
  • Slash
      Richard fortus 
      Keith Richards 
      Ronnie Wood 
      Joe Perry 
      Izzy Stradlin 
      EVH
      Gilby Clarke 
  • I am going to go - 

Eddie Hazel 
    Peter Tosh 
    John Squire 
    Jimmy Nolen 
    Earl 'Chinna' Smith 
    Prince
    Anne Clarke (St.Vincent) 
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 2872
    Dimebag Darrell
    Jeff Loomis
    Shawn Lane
    Joe Satriani
    Alexi Laiho
    David Gilmour

• Slash
    SRV
    Jimi
    Nuno
    Peter Green
    Rory Gallagher
    George Harrison
  • I'd have to limit this list to genres I can listen to (which - for example - would exclude Albert Lee)

In no order whatsoever:-

Jeff Beck
    Dave Gilmour
    Steve Vai
    SRV
    Joe Satriani
    Joe Pass
    BB King

(Can I have a "subs" bench??)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    My favourite "seven" guitarist is this forum's very own Harry.
    Be seeing you.