Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). That sinking feeling... - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

That sinking feeling...

What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
When you see a really nice old bass, in one of the best colours, in well above average condition, with original case, for a good price...

... and some complete muppet has totally fucked it by fitting an extra pickup, badly, in a stupid place.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333869099571

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    ICBM said:
    some complete muppet has totally fucked it by fitting an extra pickup, badly, in a stupid place.
    In the words of a Not The Nine O'Clock News sketch, "cut off their goolies."
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • What a downer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I was going to make some joke about it not being a P-bass, but turns out it sort of is now...! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I was going to make some joke about it not being a P-bass, but turns out it sort of is now...! 
    The stupid thing is that the stock pickup is already - inside that moulded block there's a reverse-offset P-type pickup, not a humbucker.

It's true that they sometimes fail - and are resin-potted, so unrepairable (there is now someone who makes replicas) - but if that had happened I would expect the DiMarzio to be badly chiselled into the original hole, and it wouldn't need an extra switch.

I suppose it could be fitted with a Stingray-esque pickguard to cover the damage, but it's hard to think of a neater solution. Such a shame, they're *very* rare in that finish.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

Assuming that the stock pickup works, would a "ramp" cover the embarrassment? 

@ICBM Have you scrolled down to the foot of that eBay item page? Just now, there was a link to a recent 4003S 5-string, starting at under £2k.  :o
    Be seeing you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Maybe, although I don't really like them and have no use for one.

To be honest, it's not really the bass I want anyway, as it's an SB-700 with the original super-narrow string spacing at the bridge and wider nut. I prefer the SB-R series with it the other way round (like my fretless).

Just now, there was a link to a recent 4003S 5-string, starting at under £2k.  :o
    Not now there isn't!

I don't actually like Rick 5-strings though - nor fretless. They're a design that specifically only suits fretted four-string in my opinion.

[Twiddles thumbs, waiting for Bridgehouse or prowla to comment.]
    Be seeing you.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    I saw that and thought similar; it looks like the precision pickups are height angled rather than on a wonk. 

It must be Aria wonky week or something, because there was another one which had the bottom corner reshaped, badly. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680

ICBM said:
    Maybe, although I don't really like them and have no use for one.

To be honest, it's not really the bass I want anyway, as it's an SB-700 with the original super-narrow string spacing at the bridge and wider nut. I prefer the SB-R series with it the other way round (like my fretless).

Just now, there was a link to a recent 4003S 5-string, starting at under £2k.  :o
    Not now there isn't!

I don't actually like Rick 5-strings though - nor fretless. They're a design that specifically only suits fretted four-string in my opinion.
    Well, I have to say I prefer my 4-string Rics to the 5. :-)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    Meh. The biggest downer is it has frets
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I weep every time I see a lovely old P Bass that's been fitted with a Jazz Bass pickup (usually badly).

Even worse, when it's a stealth advert and you don't realise the extent of the crime until you click on it. Heart breaking...