Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). eBay buying - PayPal or not - Help & Feedback Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

eBay buying - PayPal or not

What's Hot
I bought a guitar off eBay. As it’s quite a big purchase (for me) I’ll be collecting in person when circumstances allow, and paying on collection. It’s not rare or vintage, so I don’t think there’s a huge risk of being completely ripped off, but should I prefer to pay by bank transfer or PayPal? And any benefit of me insisting to pay PayPal transaction? Any help appreciated
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1525
    edited December 2020
    There is a well known fraud that is based on paying by paypal when collecting in person so many sellers won't consider it.  If you want the item and want to collect in person then you'll probably have to fall into line with the payment method the seller wants. 
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    Cash on collection.

You could also take photos of the handover of cash and instrument.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • eBay now have a system that allows for paying with PayPal on collection only sales. Buyer gets a pin code which seller records against the sale before releasing the item. 

Makes it harder to say cash only for collection sales...but should avoid the scammers trick of saying item not received. I was kinda of forced into accepting this for a sale over the summer, as the buyer had used PayPal to pay before asking, and now paypal keeps their fee even if you refund, so i was losing out either way...easiest just to carry on with the PayPal.

On reflection I think you might need the app for this to work, though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5078
    edited December 2020
    Yeah, if you go to the sold item on the app now there is a button for 'Scan for collection' or something like that... dunno exactly what it does, possibly a QR code, but presume both of you need smartphones for it to work. If they are willing to do that then it should be safe now, but if there are any excuses as to why they can't then don't, insist on cash or figure out a way to ship it (don't let them "arrange a courier" either!)
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    I did once have the strangest thing happen - I went to someone's house to collect a guitar, with cash in my pocket, and they insisted I pay using PayPal.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 22257
    prowla said:
    I did once have the strangest thing happen - I went to someone's house to collect a guitar, with cash in my pocket, and they insisted I pay using PayPal.
    I do that. PPGift as it's the same as cash.

Particularly useful at the moment as getting to a bank to pay in cash is a nightmare.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086
    prowla said:
    I do that. PPGift as it's the same as cash.

Particularly useful at the moment as getting to a bank to pay in cash is a nightmare.
    You can pay in cash at the Post Office these days, it's usually in your account instantly.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • I've sold something of value through ebay recently using paypal, the buyer gets a QR code and the seller scans it. You both both get a confirmation at the point. For me Paypal sat on the money for ~21 days, I'm not a big paypal user,  but apart from the fees it was a painless transaction.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5820
    edited December 2020
    Wait till you're forced to use ebay new payment system, which is totally controlled by ebay...... No more instant Payments it takes 5 working days to reach your accou t.... No thanks, I'll be stopping using ebay as soon as that shite is forced on us, which will be June.