Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I can't get my head around 7/4 timing - Theory Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I can't get my head around 7/4 timing

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2703

My understand of 7/4 time signature, is that you should count it depending on where the accents are, and thus need to split the count up to reflect this

For example in 4/4 the accents on the bass are often on beats 1 & 3 

In 7/4 you may find it better to count it 1-2-3 / 1-2-3-4 or 1-2-3-4 / 1-2-3 depending on where the accents are. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    yup
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 572
    edited January 2021
    I count it as "Ta Ka Di Mi Ta Ki Da" now .... but I have spent most of lockdown on Mattias Eklundh's YouTube channel ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Money's a 3 and two 2's i.e. 123 467
  • Money's a 3 and two 2's i.e. 123 467
    edited January 2021
    I think it’s a 4 and a 3 lol (or two 2s and a 3)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2703
    Fight!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    jpfamps said:
    Fight!

I was in the right, yes, absolutely in the right. I certainly was in the right. That geezer is cruising for a bruising.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • stratologystratology Frets: 181
    edited January 2021
    Odd meters are combinations of 2s and 3s.

There are two ways to play 5/4:

12-123 (2+3)
    123-12 (3+2)

There are three ways to play 7/4:

12-12-123 (2+2+3)
    12-123-12 (2+3+2)
    123-12-12 (3+2+2)

In terms of phrasing, emphasis/accent is always on the 1.

If you play uninterrupted quarter notes, 12 is downstroke-upstroke with the pick, 123 is downstroke-upstroke-downstroke.

So playing the 2+2+3 variation of 7/4 goes: down-up-down-up-down-up-down---down-up-down-up-down-up-down---down-up-down-up-down-up-down---... 

'Take Five' uses the 3+2 variant of 5/4. So you never count it 12345, you count 123-12---123-12---123-12---...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChéChé Frets: 302
    Interestingly, with "Money" I find myself counting it along with accented notes of the bass. Bobbing your head on the beats in bold gives you a sense of the swing

One, two, three, one, two, three, four

The first beat starts with your head bobbing down and starts again with your head bobbing up, once it repeats you'll be bobbing your head down on the first beat again.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1790
    Whistler said:
    For Pink Floyd's Money I would suggest counting 12345 12 or 12 123 12
    Also, if it's any help / comforting even David Gilmour had trouble with Money's timing issue. That's why the guitar solo goes into 4/4 because David could play to it better.

True story which I read somewhere ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • viz said:
    jpfamps said:
    Fight!

I was in the right, yes, absolutely in the right. I certainly was in the right. That geezer is cruising for a bruising.
    Ha ha, I'm far too old for that playground stuff anymore.

Money is a descending pattern of crotchet, dotted quaver-semiquaver, crotchet, before a four crotchet rising figure. There is a strong feeling of stopping on the third beat crotchet before the rising figure ie 3, 2, 2.
    The beauty of these uneven time signatures is that they can be ambiguous, that's their thing.
    stratcat said:
    viz said:
    jpfamps said:
    Fight!

Ha ha, I'm far too old for that playground stuff anymore.

Money is a descending pattern of crotchet, dotted quaver-semiquaver, crotchet, before a four crotchet rising figure. There is a strong feeling of stopping on the third beat crotchet before the rising figure ie 3, 2, 2.
    The beauty of these uneven time signatures is that they can be ambiguous, that's their thing.
    and just to be 100% clear, my quote was taken from the speech bit at the end of Money - I don't really think you're cruising for  a bruising!
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3950
    I was trying to work this out earlier and doing it by feel is okay and I'm counting it in bits. 
    I suppose it must have some time signatures but I'm not sure what they are.
    And even though I've known this song for nearly 40 years I hadn't noticed the time signature thing*

Siouxsie and The Banshees, Into The Light

*someone's gonna tell me it's 4/4 and I'm counting it arse upwards

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5260
    You know it's just counting to seven, right?