Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). songs to widdle the blues over.... - Theory Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

songs to widdle the blues over....

What's Hot
wordywordy Frets: 67

Recently I was doing a few lessons, and I was given 'Still Got the Blues' by Gary Moore to improvise over.

I dont like the song that much to be honest, but I've had a really fun time sticking it on and soloing over the top of it, mostly with the A Blues scale.  I suppose the fact that its slowish and there are gaps to stick phrases in, makes it work quite well.

Does anyone have some recommendations for other tracks which might work well in a similar way?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Well, there's always Parisienne Walkways :)

Also, Still In Love With You by Thin Lizzy (also a Moore solo, if memory serves?)

I'm into my Bluesy Rock, so my next song I am looking at playing around with is Since I've Been Loving You, which is a track by an obscure 70's band from my neck of the woods that used to play the local pubs ...and the odd football stadium and stately home.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698
    Well, there's always Parisienne Walkways :)

NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:|

Any SRV track will do this.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3631
    edited September 2013
    If you ever watch the Chappers & Andertons videos, they use an album purchased in iTunes. The company is called Jam Discs Backing Tracks & the album is called Blues Rock Backing Tracks - its full of really well recorded tracks - recommended.

Here's an example:
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24595
    Check out Jam Track Central - they have some excellent blues backing tracks in the style of major artists and, depending on the package, supply a PDF lead sheet with soling ideas and a video.

The main website is here: http://www.jamtrackcentral.com

A typical Blues pack - http://www.jamtrackcentral.com/jamtracks/total-blues-series-2

The Jam Tracks page - select blues - http://www.jamtrackcentral.com/jamtracks

I've got quite a few of these .. they're ace.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    Anything by Walter Trout
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    viz said:
    Anything by Walter Trout

Seems a bit fishy.... :-S

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited September 2013
    Oh Cod not these again - but seriously, water trout is very good
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    edited September 2013
    wordy said:

Recently I was doing a few lessons, and I was given 'Still Got the Blues' by Gary Moore to improvise over.

... I've had a really fun time sticking it on and soloing over the top of it, mostly with the A Blues scale....

And for your improvising pleasure, here is my acoustic backing track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__oammxttYY

wordy said:

Does anyone have some recommendations for other tracks which might work well in a similar way?

Loads:

King Of The Blues BTs

http://gc.guitarcenter.com/kingoftheblues/tracks/

10 Bonamassa style tracks (if they're still avavilable )

http://bluesmasters.yoov.io/index_hub_hold.php

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    edited September 2013
    I can widdle the blues over anything. Not saying it sounds good... Lot of people use loopers just to strum through a favourite chord sequence and then jam over that. Some non blues is quite good where it is similar chord sequences, something like Jammin by Bob Marley (although IIRC that's more minor pentatonic) but just search youtube for reggae backing tracks or country backing tracks or SRV style backing tracks or...etc...etc. And Walter Trout - can't say I've ever really rated him that much yet Blues for the Modern Dazey is probably my favourite album of the last couple of years. So listen to that, mebbe.
    I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • Jeff Healey's your man. Confidence Man's a favourite of mine, and his cover of I Think I Love You Too Much is cracking for banging out some blues leads over.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    And see the light - awesome fast rocky blues in D.
  • wordywordy Frets: 67
    this is all great stuff - thanks chaps!

Hey Joe, not strictly a Blues songs, but Jim Hendrix put blues licks all over the solo.

Actually the same can be said for most of his songs....

• vertigo88vertigo88 Frets: 12
    edited October 2015
    The Allman Brothers Band - Live at Fillmore East

Statesboro blues - D
    Stormy Monday -
    You don't love me - A
  • Just search "Blues backing track" on youtube and then pick one from the list in a key you fancy!!
  • Gulliver;28406" said:
    Just search "Blues backing track" on youtube and then pick one from the list in a key you fancy!!
    This or I use these ones a lot...

BB King - Thrill has gone
    Clapton - Sweet Home Chicago
    John Mayer - Gravity
    King King/Clapton - Old Love
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Really nice chords to solo over are Bird of Paradise by Snowy White