Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Just bought a DOD Carcosa - wow! - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Just bought a DOD Carcosa - wow!

What's Hot
LoobsLoobs Frets: 3782
edited December 2020 in FX
That might be the best 77 euros I've ever spent. The range of tones in it are incredible and almost every setting sounds good! Is it too good to be true? I don't think I've ever had a better fuzz! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2843
    Always fancied one of these but never tried one. Also really like the look of the Boneshaker, missed one on Reverb last month because it tried to get £5 off. Idiot. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    edited December 2020
    I don’t like the cheap feeling of the Carcosa.  The enclosure is very light, the knobs turn too freely for my liking, just ends up feeling very cheaply built - more so than many of the £20 AliExpress pedals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 944
    Used to love mine, and it's one of my big regrets. It can do nice overdrive and distortion, and nasty spitty fuzz, and even muff style tones 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • Initially I loved the carcosa and I was staggered at what it could do. Everything from light drive to angry fuzz.
    I couldn't ever settle on a fixed sound. It was too flexible for me. A good pedal, especially when they were easily had for 40 quid
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2775
    edited December 2020
    mixolyd said:
    I don’t like the cheap feeling of the Carcosa.  The enclosure is very light, the knobs turn too freely for my liking, just ends up feeling very cheaply built - more so than many of the £20 AliExpress pedals.
    I thought this as well, it was too easy to move the knobs or knock them when pressing the switch. It did sound good but was another one of those fuzzes which drops you out the mix when engaged, or at least it did with my setup (into a crunchy Laney GH50L at the time). I also wanted it to be higher gain without having to use too much of the after control as it went too splatty/gated. Overall a very good stoner rock pedal though and I loved the graphics. I'd try one again now I have a different amp, would just need to tape the controls down.

I've heard the MXR Variac Fuzz does a similar sort of thing but a bit less compressed/more "raw" and crunchy so might not drop out so much. 
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3782
    Haven't used it in the mix yet but will record with it today hopefully. But it'll probably primarily be used for recording and just playing at home. Never liked fuzz that much in a band context. 
  • Into a Boss Katana, sounds great at every setting. But ino my new Orange Rocker, it’s not sounding the same or as good. Needs more work to find settings that work with it, or maybe the amp just doesn’t take it well? 
  • Into a Boss Katana, sounds great at every setting. But ino my new Orange Rocker, it’s not sounding the same or as good. Needs more work to find settings that work with it, or maybe the amp just doesn’t take it well? 
    Must be a ropey amp if it makes a boss katana sound good 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    Must be a ropey amp if it makes a boss katana sound good 
    No don’t say that! It’s meant to be a big upgrade to my first valve amp. I’m liking it a lot, though pedals are not reacting the same to it as the Katana, will just have to learn which pedals the amp takes well. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10231
    I have a lot of fuzz pedals (more than 30) and the Carosa is my favourite. It's the one I have on my board (DIY clone)
    Oh shit this thread is 3 years old lmao

It's still good :-)
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    How are you getting on, @Loobs ?
  • I’m loving mine, I bought one six months or so back and it’s just superb fun. There’s less gain overall than I expected, but more than enough still for most needs :)
  • Even in a old thread I'm still happy to shill for the old faithful Carc.  :)

Great as a boost, drive, or fuzz on bass or guitar. Love the thing at that price point (or indeed any price point). Currently it's been used as a 'Neil' emulator with lowish gain but crunchy bias to add sag and nastiness to a high headroom amp. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3238
    I could never get on with mine, always had to compromise on one thing or another to stop it sounding too dull or too sharp.

Tom K tweaked it and released
    it as the Spiral Electric Demhe, if anyone wants a mild upgrade. 
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3782
    edited August 2023
    I sold it @roberty - can't really remember why. I think it was just way way too spiky and harsh. I used it on one recording. For that sort of thing, I have a Z Vex Fuzz Factory. 
  • distresseddistressed Frets: 287
    It's great for me because it complements muff-alike fuzzes I have, it's not muffled and sits great in the mix. Also versatile and has tons of output.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3293
    Anyone tried Tom Cram's Demhe, which i think is an evolution of that design?
  • Loobs said:
    I sold it @roberty - can't really remember why. I think it was just way way too spiky and harsh. I used it on one recording. For that sort of thing, I have a Z Vex Fuzz Factory. 
    This was my experience. Bright for a fuzz. 
    Loobs said:
    This was my experience. Bright for a fuzz. 
    Wow okay. I can get just the right amount of fizz with the cut control. My amp is pretty dirty so maybe that helps
  • distresseddistressed Frets: 287
    Cut control certainly helps, and I run it through SHO (always on at the end of a chain) and Bassman 135 through Marshall 4x12 cab. I can pick my own preferred amount of harshness with ease. Also, guitar tone control helps for sure.