Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). In appreciation of Marillion’s Kayleigh - Theory Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

In appreciation of Marillion’s Kayleigh

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10211
edited December 2020 in Theory
I just think that modulation from chorus 1 to verse 2 is really bloody clever and very very organic and natural. Almost imperceptible, if you haven’t actually played the song or if you don’t have perfect pitch. 

Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
    Brilliant.   
    One of the clever aspects of Marillions songwriting is the smooth ways they throw in key changes and interesting time signatures without being obvious or awkward.  For a proggy type band they make the songs sound simpler than they often are.  Having a song lift by a tone later in the tune is a common technique but it is rarely so subtle. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • phil_bphil_b Frets: 2009

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • That's amazing, I've been clicking back and forth in the video listening to the transition from verse to chorus in both cases. Both work so well; I'd never have noticed the verse key change. Music is weird/great!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 9752
    It's very clever, similar trick to Kate's "Don't push your foot on the hearbrake 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • One of the first solos I learnt that.
  • martmart Frets: 5165
    That key change is very slick, but what about the change from the 2nd verse into the chorus - to my mind, that's the bit they shouldn't have been able to pull off. It feels like that 2nd chorus shouldn't work in D and ought to be in E. And yet it does work!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    Not surprising that Steve Rothery now plays in Steve Hackett's band !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    Jalapeno said:
    er.... no he doesn't???
    I loved those first 4 Marillion albums, and I love Fish's lyrics. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    I just play it in one key, otherwise my voice struggles
    my next door neighbours haven’t complained yet ;)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    edited December 2020
    axisus said:
    Jalapeno said:
    er.... no he doesn't???
    Sorry - old age - confused him with Steve Wilson (who is an occasional SH band member) - Steve Rothery did play on Hackett's Genesis Revisted albums though
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    edited December 2020
    mart said:
    That key change is very slick, but what about the change from the 2nd verse into the chorus - to my mind, that's the bit they shouldn't have been able to pull off. It feels like that 2nd chorus shouldn't work in D and ought to be in E. And yet it does work!
    Well exactly! 

First verse is Bm, then it goes to the relative major (D) for the chorus, which is perfectly normal;

Then it’s the instrumental verse and chorus in Bm and D; so far, so good.

Then it has that clever invisible modulation to C# minor (which is achieved by the fact that the guitar solo in Bm started so strongly on that ii of B (the C#) anyway, so we’re already primed for it and don’t notice the key change)

Then yes, the 2nd chorus “should” be E, but they return to the original key of D, which is why it’s so difficult to sing that Kayleigh note accurately if you haven’t clocked the earlier key change!

Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • One of the very few solos I ever worked out note for note from a guitarist feature on them. 
    Finally got it all sorted, then band decided not to play it! Great solo. 

• One of the first solos I learnt that.
    Snap
    It's one of those solos that just works beautifully within the song. Rothery has written and played some superb guitar solos over the years (Although I MUCH prefer those first 4 albums to everything since with the band).

Easter was another killer solo
  • Del_PrestonDel_Preston Frets: 75
    edited April 2021
    Same here, one of the first songs I learned as a nipper!  That whole album is great.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2843
    Anyone got a good tab they can share? 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    edited April 2021
    Fuengi said:
    Not a tab but if you read notation then I can link you.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5750
    Great Band and great song and yes, I remember thinking I'd learned this song and the WTF moment when I went into the 2nd verse with the first verse chord.........................and then after the solo :)
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
  • octatonic said:
    Fuengi said:
    I got around to transcribing this a couple of years ago:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1up1iia4ZPk47-ipTfx4RbzN3_E-iczvU/view?usp=sharing
    Should be close enough to get you started ;)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    octatonic said:
    Fuengi said:
    I got around to transcribing this a couple of years ago:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1up1iia4ZPk47-ipTfx4RbzN3_E-iczvU/view?usp=sharing
    Should be close enough to get you started ;)
    That's brilliant, thank you! 
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5511
    Ah, 80s women. The woman in the video - Tamara Nowy, Fish's first wife - is so beautiful. If that video was made today the love interest would have a trout pout and fake knockers.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5721
    @viz Thanks for posting this. I can remember when this came out and I really didn't like it. Just found it a bit wet and mushy and didn't bother listening to it properly and have never been a fan of Marillion, probably because of this. Now I've just listened to it without prejudice and found it to be a really good song. I'm going to get over to YouTube and source out some of their other stuff as I might have been missing out.
    I'm a lot older now, and a tiny bit wiser (I hope) Cheers.

• proggy said:
    @viz Thanks for posting this. I can remember when this came out and I really didn't like it. Just found it a bit wet and mushy and didn't bother listening to it properly and have never been a fan of Marillion, probably because of this. Now I've just listened to it without prejudice and found it to be a really good song. I'm going to get over to YouTube and source out some of their other stuff as I might have been missing out.

Judging by your forum name you can't be shy of a concept album or two? ;)

My top 3 Fish-era albums:
    1. Fugazi
    2. Misplaced Childhood (especially track 4 onwards)
    3. Clutching At Straws
    My top 3 Hogarth-era albums:
    1. Brave
    2. FEAR
    3. Seasons End
    proggy said:

Judging by your forum name you can't be shy of a concept album or two? ;)

My top 3 Fish-era albums:
    1. Fugazi
    2. Misplaced Childhood (especially track 4 onwards)
    3. Clutching At Straws
    My top 3 Hogarth-era albums:
    1. Brave
    2. FEAR
    3. Seasons End
    You're dead right I'm not, I love them.
    I think it was just something about that band at that time.
    Thanks for the listening recommendations.
    Marbles is a stunning album at times.

Brize said:
    Ah, 80s women. The woman in the video - Tamara Nowy, Fish's first wife - is so beautiful. If that video was made today the love interest would have a trout pout and fake knockers.
    Nah, 80s women looked absolutely terrible. hilarious hair and makeup and dreadful fashion. 
    axisus said:
    Brize said:
    Nah, 80s women looked absolutely terrible. hilarious hair and makeup and dreadful fashion. 

But women nowadays have Groucho Marx eyebrows. I don't know how that's supposed to look attractive.