Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). I Owe 1 Replacement Windscreen - Off Topic Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

I Owe 1 Replacement Windscreen

What's Hot

To the Car Hire company (National), for a VW Golf TSi.

Luckily, I have a Reimbursement insurance Policy, but this has still p****d me off immensley. I hire a car 3 times a year and must do 2500 miles per year if that. So I get a stonechip(sounded like half a housebrick) on the M5 yesterday and it's irrepairable, it was a beauty, I'll have to admit.

I had the same thing happen last year in another hire car on the M5, only that time it was repairable and the company didn't bother with any charge.

To me those odds are staggering, a stonechip on 2 out of 5 hire occasions covering less than 5000 miles, there must be sales reps who cover gargantuan amounts of miles and never get one.

I don't know the cost yet as they couldn't find the price on their matrix, they will send the invoice when they know instead of just debitting the whacking £1000 excess cover, you have to have secured.

Insured or not, the hassle I just don't need.

Any of you care to divulge your M'way damage Stats?

And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    Ouch. My last 2 years in the UK I did probably 8k miles per year, most of that hacking round the M25 or up.down the M40 and M11. Got a couple of stones hit the screen but never had a single chip.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698

I had to get my windscreen replaced this year, just before my MOT. I was changing the wipers, had the arm stood upright, and Charlie, one of the cats jumped up, knocked the arm, which, being spring-loaded came down hard onto the screen, right on the corner of the arm, and put cracks across roughly 1/3 of the screen.

Lucky for me, I have some awesomes friends and colleagues who got it sorted for me, without any hassle.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143

In roughly 200k of mileage over the last 10 or so years, I've had two windscreens go.

One was hit by a golf ball straying from the course that I was driving through (seriously, the road ran between a couple of fairways).

I could do with the current one going though, because it's all pitted and scratched!

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    I average about 30,000 miles a year and have been for twenty years.  Never had a windscreen chip until last week !  Tiny thing though - not even worth trying to get repaired.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698
    Emp_Fab said:
    I average about 30,000 miles a year and have been for twenty years.  Never had a windscreen chip until last week !  Tiny thing though - not even worth trying to get repaired.

Get one of them resin injection repairs done, otherwise it's likely to crack when the cold/damp gets into it.

Usually the repairer will come to you. I've used Autoglass in Cambridge, and they were excellent.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5750

Looks like I've been shafted by Stats. Can't wait to go through the claims process

8-X
    And they said that in our time, all that's good will fall from grace, even Saints would turn their face, in our time.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
    Sounds like you've been very unlucky!!   In the last couple of years I've done approx 30K of mainly motorway driving - a couple of months ago I did have a chip that quickly turned into a crack... It took autoglass 3 attempts (over 4 days) to bring the correct windscreen - good job it was half term and I didn't need to drive the car...

@John_P

Yes, I am seething at the reccurence of stonechips. It is a statistical anomaly beyond the meaning of the term. I used to own cars and never got a bad one after miles of driving.

This latest one was beyond belief, the impact made me jump out of my skin and it was an instant dent and spider crack, f**k knows if it was one stone or two but it was like a double impact to do what it did to the windscreen.

It's going to be painful going through this claims process. I feel like I need another Holiday to get over this hump!

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    I've been doing 25K/year for the past 5 and never had a chip. 
    I have had people back into my car on three occasions though and a car wash try and strip all the paint off!
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17130
    edited August 2013
    I drive about 15,000 miles a year and I've had loads of chips, usually from the place up the road from me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

@chillidoggy

Hopefully with a Fish and Mushy Peas?