Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). (Gibson SG Junior). Any up to date opinions, thoughts? - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

(Gibson SG Junior). Any up to date opinions, thoughts?

What's Hot
Looking at one of these down the line. I think juniors can be like teles. They seem to be able to do a lot. I had an LP style junior, but not a fan of LPs, so just never bonded with it. Love SGs though.
I am holding out to see what Gibson do next. Maybe they'll release an Epi version, or a faded version, which might look cool once it started to age.
I have been looking into Gordon Smith. Mixed reviews from what I've seen on here, but customising with a tuneomatic bridge might be handy. Are the GS specs pretty much the same as Gibson?
I know folk might suggest PRS and the likes but I don't like PRS style guitars at all.
Anyone playing the latest Gibson SG junior? How are they faring out?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13679
    edited November 2020
    I had one, the body is thinner than a Custom Shop SG Standard and it was very light, too light, made it feel like a toy and felt too delicate especially with the skinny neck. I moved it on quickly,

Also, on the factory guitars, Gibson still fit the wraparound bridge that doesn't fit snugly into the bridge posts so under tension it rises from the back at an angle as there is a gap between the bridge thickness and the slot in the bridge posts.

I really like the idea of an SG and love the look but really can't bond with the left shifted fingerboard that starts at the edge of the body. No more SGs for me, I would take a Tele over an SG.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • My friend had one , it’s a few years old , I borrowed it. 
    I think it’s great. Light , resonant, nice fast neck , sounds great. 
  • Interesting take on it @RandallFlagg I have a Guild Polara (SG) which is slightly different to a Gibson obviously, have played plenty of Epis and Gibson SGs though. I suppose the only real way to know is to get one in your hands. While it's probably blasphemy, I would prefer a modern bridge / tuneomatic style.
  • danbandanban Frets: 340
    Looking at one of these down the line. I think juniors can be like teles. They seem to be able to do a lot. I had an LP style junior, but not a fan of LPs, so just never bonded with it. Love SGs though.
    I am holding out to see what Gibson do next. Maybe they'll release an Epi version, or a faded version, which might look cool once it started to age.
    I have been looking into Gordon Smith. Mixed reviews from what I've seen on here, but customising with a tuneomatic bridge might be handy. Are the GS specs pretty much the same as Gibson?
    I know folk might suggest PRS and the likes but I don't like PRS style guitars at all.
    Anyone playing the latest Gibson SG junior? How are they faring out?
    Hi Creed Clicks,

I thought I’d weigh in, I’m regards to Gordon Smith.

I have a 1965 Gibson Sg with P90s, a Gordon Smith GS1 with a P90 & tuneomatic bridge and a Gordon Smith GS1000 with humbucker and a Gotoh 501 wraparound tailpiece - both Auden era.

They’re all great guitars but my grab and go is the GS1 which also has a 44mm full thickness body and it’s a cracking bit of kit, for what the Gibson SG junior costs new you can spec out your very own Gordon Smith and customise at the factory with everything you want apart from a brass nut. I myself have never found this an issue and really like em.

The GS was designed from the Gibson Jr but obviously with its own flair to avoid any lawsuits.

I’d advise to go for the thick profile neck option which is more along the lines of a medium C profile but this can vary slightly as each neck his hand shaped.

I’m a Gordon Smith convert from Gibson and won’t be looking back.

Hope this helps you?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • @danban it does indeed help. I do like the idea of being able to tweak the specs. As I mentioned, I would go for a more modern bridge potentially. I'll be keeping GS in mind for sure!
  • shobetshobet Frets: 180
    My local shop had one of the recent SG juniors in second hand. I took one of my older ones along to compare and I was quite surprised that sonically they were very, very close and didn't feel that different to play as well. Looks wise they were pretty much the same, albeit a lot more shiny and redder on the newer one. The only real differences I saw were the carves on the horns and the heel shape, which on SGs can be all over the place from one year to another. 

Flexibility wise you can play with the volume and tone to get loads of different sounds. Even where you pick can have an effect on the tone. 

I don't have a problem with the bridges on them, you can get the intonation with the lightning bolt bridges close enough for my ears. I didn't notice the lean on the bridge that the earlier poster mentioned. Mojoaxe do a replacement bridge for the SG which is only around $50 USD which I suspect will be much better machined than the stock one. 

I like single pickup guitars so I'm a sucker for juniors, be they SGs or LPs.

Now if they'd only release a junior and a special in polaris white... 
    Do ursus deposit feculence in the thicket?

Here endeth the lesson. 
  • telecaster it is! :p 
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    More GAS for one now, but wouldn't mind one with the same finish as the Gibson tributes, that faded kind of unfinished feel. (Or lightly finished). 
  • FozzFozz Frets: 61
    I really like the SG Specials they're doing at the moment too. 
  • PALPAL Frets: 465
    I have Both Gibson SG & LP Juniors (2019) and they are great guitars. I have owned and played the originals and Custom
      Shop models and I was really surprised how good they were as I didn't expect them to as good as what they are !
     I know lots of people will pull these guitar to pieces but they are better than the originals . Gibson admitted fret placement
     was a bit suspect on the originals and have addressed this on the Original series.
     I use 11-49 D'Addario strings my action is 4/64ths on low and high E strings and they play really well and intonation if fine.
     If you don't like the bridge you can retrofit with something else.
     The only mod I have done to both my guitars is fitting volume pointers so I can see my settings.
     If you can buy the Gibson the fret work is better unless you you can level and crown frets.
     Also you get the case.

Here are my Juniors.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1334
    ^ Nice pair @PAL ;

Can I ask - do you find much difference in terms of playability or sound between the LP and SG juniors :)
  • PALPAL Frets: 465
    They do sound different and I think it's down to the body thickness and neck joint !
     I bought the LP Junior first and to me through a good amp it sounds very tele like.
     The SG seems to be more resonant and I think this is due to the thinner body giving the guitar more string vibration.
      The neck on the SG is a bit like my PRS DGT Mahogany Standard so it's not skinny and a can't detect any neck flap
     probably because I use the 11-49 Strings.
     The LP I would describe as being a more rigid guitar because the neck goes farther into the body also it has a thicker 
     neck but nothing drastic I have various guitars and don't mind different size necks it's all part of the guitars charm.
     I think the neck to body angle is more shallow on the SG but that was always the case with the originals.
     I did balance the pole piece height to the radius of the finger board.
     I know a lot of people have issues with SG neck dive but it balances OK for me .There are ways to address neck dive.
     To me they play the same but it's obvious neck access is better on the SG. I don't have a preference between the two
     guitars. Hope this helps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2770
    danban said:

I’m a Gordon Smith convert from Gibson and won’t be looking back.

That's pretty much where I'm at too. I've had 6 Gibson SGs from 2008 to 2018, one a custom shop, the other all USA models, (but no juniors). I currently have two (Custom & Standard), and I doubt I'd buy another SG from Gibson - but anything is possible.

I've got two Gordon Smiths: A 2018 GS1000 which was custom made with my own choice of colour, ebony fret board, locking tuners and tune-o-matic + stop bar. Even with those upgrades it came in at less than the price of a Gibson USA SG Junior, and it's remained one of my favourite guitars since I got it.

Second is a 2022 SGT - a good sign of the degree of customisation available, it's basically a Tele with an SG body. I sent my idea to them one morning, had the spec sorted and the guitar ordered by the early afternoon. It's been getting most of my play time since it arrived.

I've loved SGs since I first picked up a guitar, but I've fallen out of love with Gibson.
  • matt_seftonmatt_sefton Frets: 476
    I bought an SG Junior from the Originals series at the start of lockdown - about the only time I’ve bought a guitar without playing it first so I was worried about Gibson’s horrendous qc and my brother’s SG that has terrible neck dive. I shouldn’t have worried. Immense guitar, balance is great and it weighs less than a heavy feather! The finish (cherry obvs) is flawless*

*was flawless! Like all mahogany Gibsons, it dents and scratches if you so much as look at it funny…
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1255
    As I have spotted a Ric 610, my GAS is under sever pressure....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • What with my dicky back / discs, I am coming back around to a junior again. It wouldn't be for rock or punk music at all, so maybe barking up the wrong tree, but you can get away with playing anything on anything more or less...
  • I had a Junior from around 2006 (but it may have been a 2005 model). And I have a ‘65.  I loved. Both if them, and wish I’d kept the 2006  I’d suggest you go try one, play it through a nice low power valve amp (DSL5 or something) and then you’ll be addicted and buy it. 

The only reason I don’t use them live is the noise if they have a dirty power supply where you’re playing 
  • I had a Junior from around 2006 (but it may have been a 2005 model). And I have a ‘65.  I loved. Both if them, and wish I’d kept the 2006  I’d suggest you go try one, play it through a nice low power valve amp (DSL5 or something) and then you’ll be addicted and buy it. 

The only reason I don’t use them live is the noise if they have a dirty power supply where you’re playing 
    Yeah, really need to get my hands on one. I've not played any LP juniors either for yonks.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1300
    i know this is a necro'd thread but
    on the factory guitars, Gibson still fit the wraparound bridge that doesn't fit snugly into the bridge posts so under tension it rises from the back at an angle as there is a gap between the bridge thickness and the slot in the bridge posts.
    to be fair to the gibson of yore, i think this has always been the case
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    bbill335 said:
    i know this is a necro'd thread but
    on the factory guitars, Gibson still fit the wraparound bridge that doesn't fit snugly into the bridge posts so under tension it rises from the back at an angle as there is a gap between the bridge thickness and the slot in the bridge posts.
    to be fair to the gibson of yore, i think this has always been the case
    Yeah, but you can get round that now with TonePros or Faber bridge studs.
  • ^ Yup, I’ve just put a Faber setup onto my Exp. Jr and it’s very stable indeed.

FWIW, I had a ‘62 LP (SG) Jr w’/vibrola at one point. That was a stonking guitar with an utterly superb tone and vibe - I foolishly traded it away though :( I’ve played a couple of more recent ones since and they capture the general feel, though I feel the pickups and harness leave room for improvement/personalisation to taste - Mojo Pickups are my go-to for P90 types, but I’m sure that OCP and others do great versions too. I expect I’ll make an SG Jr/Special sometime next year as it’s now been a few years since I last had one.
  • What would the average weight of an LP junior be? Might consider a Gordon Smith. Need to sell a few guitars, and get a new job first!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    What would the average weight of an LP junior be? 
    Custom Shop, roughly 7.75 to 8.00 lbs for a singlecut, take off half a pound for a doublecut.  Gibson USA, I'd guess a little heavier.  Whatever it is, less than an LP Standard.
  • I wouldn’t be going custom shop and I had not considered the double cut !
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 1583
    My double cut special is 7 and a half bang on, would be less with half the electronics of a Jr
  • My singlecut Special is a nine-pounder.  That's very much an outlier, though.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb