Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Move to a new forum system ? - Help & Feedback Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Move to a new forum system ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1189
    They all suck, just in different ways and for different reasons. The editor occasionally reduces me to incandescent rage when I use it on my iPad (although that happens much less often than it used to) and linking pictures seems to fail in slightly different ways and for slightly different reasons every time I try to do it (although that probably has as much to do with third party image hosting  as anything else, and I totally, totally, totally get why the people who are on hook for the bills don’t want to go down the road of holding images locally) but those things pale into insignificance compared with the disruption a change in platforms would undoubtedly bring with it... 
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • MikeSMikeS Frets: 2103
    edited November 2020
    I use the advanced search a lot, and that list down the left of special search tips and operator tools, If they're meant to work, then I've never been able to get them to work, but it's maybe just me. I'd love to know how to use them properly.

The ignore function is a bit iffy. I was so annoyed when I added someone to ignore and realised it deletes all the dodgy messages from them, which was the whole point in ignoring them. And now (because I have a life and/or I'm getting old) I can't remember what it was all about in the first place because I've no messages to remind me. A function to make notes next to a user would be handy.

It's also a bit upsetting to see certain people following other folks around LOLing each of their posts, it's sad, and basically bullying.

Apart from that the forums brilliant. Really simple to use. Love it. Oh, and I hate change. :3

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • octatonic said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    I think we've outgrown Vanilla - it's got too many bugs and ill-functioning features to continue with on a forum of this calibre.
    I believe @digitalscream was planning on writing a new bespoke forum himself but I don't know any more on that front.

Lee...  what other options are out there that could replace Vanilla ?  Are they expensive ?
    You won't be able to block Drew more effectively on another platform.
    Of course, you're not actually anyone on tFB until you've been ignored by @Emp_Trump.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1625
    I'm not sure we need extra functionality for click bait threads. You seem to do ok @Emp_Fab ;
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    It was a perfectly reasonable question given the many bugs in Vanilla.   I actually like the layout and the look of it, but the editor bugs are annoying.  Nice try at baiting though.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 27656
    The things I don't like:

The search function is absolutely terrible!
    The inability to 'uncouple' from a thread that you started that just won't die!
    I can't LOL myself*

Mostly I think that things are OK though.

*only joking
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    There ya go. x
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    This is by far the best, simplest, cleanest, most attractive forum out there, and I’m not just talking about the users
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    ennspek said:
    I'm not sure we need extra functionality for click bait threads. You seem to do ok @Emp_Fab ;
    Seems like an odd thread to bump back from the near-dead.

Is someone bored?  Or has Emp got a stalker ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • viz said:
    This is by far the best, simplest, cleanest, most attractive forum out there, and I’m not just talking about the users
    Fixed!
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    viz said:
    I've used pretty much every forum package out there, going back to the days when the Internet was powered by camels and stone tablets. (Well, almost.) I'm a forum junkie. Have been for years. So from the point of view of a user, how does this one stack up against the others? It is as good as any, and better than most. Nicely presented, doesn't get in your road.

PS: Forum search functions such. Always have. Probably always will. The coding effort to translate what the average user is capable of typing into a searchbox into functional SQL is non-trivial. We are talking major expenditure here, and years of effort. If you want better search, use a search engine that has had those millions of dollars and years of effort spent on it. (I.e., Google, and one or two of the others aren't bad.) Forum software will never have search that works like a proper search engine. 

PPS: On-line editing never, ever works as well as you'd like it to. That's not so much a matter of needing development time and money, it's more a consequence of the fact that the whole HTTP protocol was never designed for interactive use. Anything more than a short post is best done with a proper text editor.
    TTony said:
    ennspek said:

Stop stalking me!
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9089
    ennspek said:
    TTony said:
    ennspek said:

Stop stalking me!
    Can you imagine... emps stalker... the only stalker to take out a restraining order :)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    It's worth mentioning that the two parts of the forum that everyone complaints about the search and the editor aren't part of vanilla and are plugins.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    The current trend in forum redesign is to use some crap framework which has big square buttons, loads of whitespace, and a small area of the page to display the actual content, almost as if it's a hindrance having to include it.

Please do not go down that route!

A prime example is Money Saving Expert, where the forum page shows just 2 posts; how not to do an index page:

Also, do NOT let the page designers have 4k screens, because they will assume that all of the users do too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TanninTannin Frets: 4394
    ^ Yes! Also, don't let the designers have telephones, because they will assume no-one uses real computers anymore. This is why they produce crap like the Money Saving Expert screen above - it is designed for mobile. 

Emp_Fab said:
    I think we've outgrown Vanilla - it's got too many bugs and ill-functioning features to continue with on a forum of this calibre.
    I believe @digitalscream was planning on writing a new bespoke forum himself but I don't know any more on that front.

Lee...  what other options are out there that could replace Vanilla ?  Are they expensive ?
    Nob.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1522
    ennspek said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Nob.
    ??
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 15603
    prowla said:

A prime example is Money Saving Expert, where the forum page shows just 2 posts; how not to do an index page:

Also, do NOT let the page designers have 4k screens, because they will assume that all of the users do too.
    You have the sense of being advertised at whilst there aren’t any actual adverts due to the huge strips of vivid colours. However, I recently posted on their forum and there are people who seem to know their stuff so I generally like it. 

Enthused Digital run loads of guitar forums and they all seem dated and are splattered with ads. They look amateur especially compared to here yet these are money making enterprises. 
    [ The Gear Page, TDPRI, MyLesPaul, Strat Talk, Drum Forum,SevenString, Marshall Forum, Gretsch Talk, Squier Talk, Everything SG, Epiphone Talk ]
    I wonder if their home spun look serves to make you warm toward them and feel less like you are being bombarded by ads. But I guess my point is I have yet to see another forum and think ooh that’s so much better looking than TheFB. 

I’ll handle this Violet, you take your three hour break. 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    ennspek said:
    Emp_Fab said:

Nob.
    You know Rule 1 would apply whatever the forum, right?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3950
    Dav275 said:

Only minor gripe I have is that the "quotes within quotes" on long threads can reduce the text down to a narrow vertical strip in the centre of the screen, especially when viewed on phone.    Not sure this is a system problem though, or just peoples habits.
    People generally don't snip quotes because they are lazy bastards.  So you get the quotes within quotes er, "feature".
    But if there is software which can fix being a lazy bastard then please sign me up.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    axisus said:
    This.

On the Seymour Duncan User Group forum, the thread starter's editing tools include the option to close one's own thread. 

For example, your question to the forum is, " where can I obtain spare parts for my obsolete vibrato bridge?" A couple of helpful replies later, the question is answered and there is no need for further comments. The thread might as well close.

Failing that, the ability to switch off thread notifications would help.
    Be seeing you.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 25239
    axisus said:
    This.

On the Seymour Duncan User Group forum, the thread starter's editing tools include the option to close one's own thread. 
    No, we don't let people close their own threads. Why? Because it lets people start arguments, then close the thread when things don't go their way. The result of that is other people starting their own threads to carry on the argument, and so on.

Also, scammers love to close their FS threads.

You can already do that. Go to your notification preferences, and untick "Notify me when people comment on my discussions". Then you just have to remember to bookmark your own threads.

At least, that's how it's supposed to work.
    <space for hire>
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 2922
    axisus said:
    This.

For example, your question to the forum is, " where can I obtain spare parts for my obsolete vibrato bridge?" A couple of helpful replies later, the question is answered and there is no need for further comments. The thread might as well close.

This is about my only gripe - if I comment on a thread, I am doomed to receive notifications from it for eternity. I'd like to be able to turn off notifications on a per-thread basis.

Oh, and the search is a bit crap,
    Ah, and it should use https :)
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 4987
    OP threads: I haven't done this (I don't start popular threads ;) ) but you can turn off all notifications and then just selectively enable them by 'starring' a thread you create, I believe.

HTTPS. Check your address bar. I'm accessing the site via HTTPS ...
    Snags said:
    OP threads: I haven't done this (I don't start popular threads ;) ) but you can turn off all notifications and then just selectively enable them by 'starring' a thread you create, I believe.

HTTPS. Check your address bar. I'm accessing the site via HTTPS ...
    Oh wow - it's changed, and I didn't even notice!>

Awesome job @digitalscream ;

R.
  • For me it works fine and as says largely does not get in your way.

looking at others in both guitar and other hobbies this place feels like it already an upgrade 

Thanks
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    All I've seen from sites which have "upgraded" their forum engine is loads of stupid fripperies like big buttons & badges and wasted screen space, so that the actual content (ie. what you come her to see) seems almost like an afterthought.
    If there is thought being given to looking at another system, I would urge the principal and overriding design decision to be the presentation of the content.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    The forum is just fine as it is.

I love the idea that people are trying to be productive while busily prevaricating on the Fretboard....
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...