Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). How to hide Coronavirus threads? - Help & Feedback Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

How to hide Coronavirus threads?

What's Hot
Is thee a way of doing this.
thismplace is one of my ways of switching off from the world, and when I open and navigate through the Recent Discussion page (my normal way of interacting with the website), it just depresses me seeing so many threads.
is there a way of not seeing threads from a certain folder in the Recent Discussions page? It really does get me down.
ta
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    Yep - click on the cog next to the area you want to hide and you can remove it from recent discussions there
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2457
    @Bridgehouse ;
    Many thanks - you have helped my mental health no end
    appreciate it 
    steve
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    I really want them off too. 
    I’ve just returned after stepping away from the site when I was threatened for complaining about the language and abuse. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I think having an outlet for those os us who need to talk about it, is important, as well as making sure that others of us can block / not see them

facebook is frustrating me this week in particular; it I really good for local information, Community support, ideas, history etc. But various people cant stop themselves from posting about e.g. panic buying in supermarkets in spaces related to old black and white photos of where we grew up 

:(
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    Yep - click on the cog next to the area you want to hide and you can remove it from recent discussions there
    Thanks Mark, I've just removed it. That'll suit me nicely
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Nice one, just done the same. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3819
    They could be helpful but it seems they've been taken over by a small group that just want to argue. Shame.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24559
    They could be helpful but it seems they've been taken over by a small group that just want to argue. Shame.
    Indeed they have. 
    tFB Trader
    Internet doctors... lord help us. Moaning on a bloody geetar forum :D
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 248
    Thanks - I've removed it too.
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 825
    Thanks, it had completely put me off the forum.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    edited October 2020 tFB Trader
    Surely people can be hidden just as easily?
  • 0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I’m really pleased I asked now seeing as others feel beneficial too :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 20197
    I've been hiding the coronavirus sub-forum for months.  Every now and then I take a quick look, I'm immediately reminded how pointless and depressing it all is so I switch it off again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    That section and many of the threads therein started with good intent and some useful, informed content and advice.

I even setup the Jitsi drop-in sessions, so those who needed or wanted to could see and talk to another friendly face during isolation.

For some/many members here, this forum *is* a primary source of sensible information, a place where worries and concerns can be aired and shared, a place where someone else will happily help, advise and reassure.  A friendly and supportive place.  Many of us needed to be able to talk to others, to feel that we weren’t alone (isolated perhaps, but not alone).  Many of us still do.

But, regrettably, it was allowed to descend to Facebook levels of argumentative, trench-based, stupidity.  

That helpline closed down for me.

Sadly, I removed it from my Recent Discussions view a while back.

*Sadly*.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1189
    tFB Trader
    Surely people can be hidden just as easily?
    With a shotgun and a shovel yep :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 14862
    edited November 2020
    yup, on the whole I find the actual information to be useful, however the threads all seem to degenerate into back biting from entrenched positions (on both sides) and settling of past scores. If only there was a way to filter out all the personality crap and distill out the actual information. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

edited November 2020 tFB Trader
    VimFuego said:
    yup, on the whole I find the actual information to be useful, however the threads all seem to degenerate into back biting from entrenched positions (on both sides) and settling of past scores. If only there was a way to filter out all the personality crap and distill out the actual information. 
    There are few (if any) actual medical experts on here as far as I’ve seen and certainly not any that would get involved in an open conversation about it on a guitar forum. All you have is a small group of people arguing out the same old nonsense which has spilled over from other related threads. I really don’t have the time to read up online or disprove every bogus claim, chart or quote copied from google which has appeared in that section.

As with many internet debates it merely comes down to who can type louder. And hey, you can pretend to be extremely intellectual about a subject if you have (the time) to sit on a thread all day with google open on the next browser window.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    The Coronavirus section makes the Brexit arguments appear well-informed.
    Keyboard warriors at their worst.
    Awful.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    Ironically, this is the only ‘rona thread I see now. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Hattigol said:
    The Coronavirus section makes the Brexit arguments appear well-informed.
    Keyboard warriors at their worst.
    Awful.
    It was a useful source of information for two or three weeks. Then the KWs turned up. On the bright side, it does keep them out of Off Topic.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • I'm smart.  B)

Bye!

• GandalphGandalph Frets: 1513
    edited November 2020
    Great post - maybe the section started out with good intentions but I think it should be taken off the forum now. It’s supposed to be a guitar/music forum ffs!
    A few times I’ve stumbled in there and (on the whole) it seems anyone who enters and dares to suggest anything that hasn’t come directly from the bbc/sky news/government, etc is hounded away as a ‘conspiracy theorist’ and told to take their tin foil hat off and do their research.This coming from people who believe independent research involves reading a newspaper or switching on the tv. Amazing!
    Been wanting to say that for a while and probably wouldn’t have if sev112 hadn’t initiated this thread so hats off to you mate! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter