Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Oil finishing advice - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Oil finishing advice

imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3503
edited October 2020 in Making & Modding
Hi,

I am looking for some advice on a guitar finishing project I am working on.  I'm new to this, so please bear with me!  I've used Crimson Guitars' Stunning StainsPenetrating Finish Oil and High Finishing Oil.

Thus far, I have applied a few layers of stain, which took nicely to a sanded-back to 400-grit quilted maple top.  I then began layering penetrating oil, as advised around two hours between applications, which I did six times in a single day.  Each time, I applied quite a thin layer (it didn't look gloopy) with a cloth, left it 5-15 minutes and rubbed it back hard.   I then began the next day applying a couple of layers of high finish, using the same technique.  I stopped at, I think, two.  I left it around two days and decided to try applying using 1,200 grit sandpaper, quite liberally, then rubbing off with a cloth within 10/15 minutes.  This appears to have lifted quite a bit of the stain.

Before this last step, it was looking quite matt, as shown:

Since the single 1,200 grit step, it looks like this:

The steps I've taken are partly in advice from speaking to one of the team and the bottle instructions, and latterly the guidance on the product page.

I am now wondering how to continue, as I am worried that the 1,200 grit application will continue to take out more colour and leave it patchy.  I'm not sure if the latter image below where the bridge will sit is how it should look or whether it has lost too much colour.  Will another pass-by with 1,200 grit and oil make the rest of it more uniform?

Any advice is most welcome!  Have I not left it long enough between coats?  Has skipping the 1,200 grit then using it caused a problem?  I"m a little confused and concerned.

Whatever happens, it has been quite a fun project.  I'm just not sure how it will conclude!

Thanks!
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• I'm in a similar position now. Black and Purple Crimson Stains, 4 coats of penetrating oil. Left for 4 days, still tacky. I probably didn't buff off quickly enough or thoroughly enough I reckon. Rang CG and they advised to wait another few days and then use 600 with more oil. I'll be using 1200 minimum! 

Some wood working videos online show guys fixing this with a heat gun to pool up the excess and wipe off. Don't have one. I suppose my question is do I attempt to repair this with more penetrating or move on to the high build oil?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    Moved to Making and Modding
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.