Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Should I buy a short scale? - Bass Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Should I buy a short scale?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I'm 6'4" and started on bass before moving to guitar.  For me scale length is not an issue on a standard scale bass and my current basses are all standard scale (Ric 4003, Warwick Corvette and a P Bass).  Its worth considering that there is often a tonal difference with short scale basses (Reverb did a cool short vid on this recently which is on YouTube) and they tend to have a pronounced lower mid honk to them which can mean if you are looking for a modern sound with a fair bit of clarity in the top end this can be harder to achieve.  I would say if you are comfortable with a full scale bass thats what I would go with (you'll very quickly adapt to the neck).  I also agree with an earlier comment that neck proportion is probably a bigger factor.  Something like a 50s P Bass will likely have a cricket bat of a neck and I find that a more uncomfortable factor than the scale.  Something like a Jazz is much narrower at the nut and you might find that more to your liking.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Standard scale … RIC 4003? Only in Edinburgh. ;)
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Standard scale … RIC 4003? Only in Edinburgh. ;)
    Well standard scale by Ric’s own odd design quirks haha! Also, I’m in Glasgow not Edinburgh...be careful! (kidding)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    absolutpepper said:

Well standard scale by Ric’s own odd design quirks haha!
    It sort-of is... Fender's 34" scale is based on their 25.5" guitar scale, extended by five frets. Likewise, Rick's 33.25" is based on their 24.75" guitar scale extended by five frets. So if those two guitar scales are considered 'standard', then the two bass scales are as well. There's little enough difference that it really doesn't change much.

I should have explained the comment above, that Ricks are especially suitable for players converting from guitar - it was meant as a bit of a joke because they're often played with a pick in a 'guitary' style and with fuzz or distortion (even discounting Lemmy!), but I forgot to write that bit :). Otherwise, they're no more or less suitable than any other bass really.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 526
    Fender Mustang Bass = Winner ! ! ! . . . 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I quite fancy a short scale bass.  Bass was my main instrument for many years and I still have some really nice basses, but I haven't played them for ages.  The result is they feel enormous when I do pick one up these days.  I think I'd be more likely to pick up a bass if it felt more like a guitar.  I'd probably want to use a pick as well because I'd be so rusty trying to play with fingers.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 13312
    Blueingreen said:
    I'd be more likely to pick up a bass if it felt more like a guitar.  
    Earlier today, I chanced upon a Philip McKnight YouTube video demonstration of the DiMarzio Relentless middle pickup in a Squier Mini P Bass. Pretty damned good.
    Be seeing you.