Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Who do we like for hardware bits and bobs? - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Who do we like for hardware bits and bobs?

What's Hot
I’ve just picked up a glorious Tele Custom body from @GoldenEraGuitars and am starting to make a list of the bits and bobs I’m going to need. I’ve already got the bridge, neck plate, scratchguard and knobs...but need all the other little bits. I think I used Axerus previously for an old build but just seeing who else is good out there. If I makes any difference, this is a relic build.

I’m also going to need a wide range humbucker (any recommendations?) and a wiring loom.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• I don't know whether anyone else has experienced this but I've noticed that more and more parts seem to be out of stock.  This seems to be across a range of industries.  My borther-in-law owns a cycle shop and he can't get new bikes this year whilst spares are becoming scarce.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    edited September 2020
    Top of my head. More when I’ve found a cork screw:
    @Alegree ;;
    Axesrus
    Axetec
    Black Dog
    @gavin_axecaster
    @sixstringsupplies
    @OilCityPickups

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Roland said:
    Top of my head. More when I’ve found a cork screw:
    @Alegree ;;
    Axesrus
    Axetec
    Black Dog
    @gavin_axecaster
    @sixstringsupplies
    @OilCityPickups

Thank you!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Musicwolf said:
    I don't know whether anyone else has experienced this but I've noticed that more and more parts seem to be out of stock.  This seems to be across a range of industries.  My borther-in-law owns a cycle shop and he can't get new bikes this year whilst spares are becoming scarce.

Yep, very much so. I'm trying to finish off a few projects and I'm I'm having to cast around far and wide for the things I need. I would imagine that lockdown saw a bit of a run on lots of parts sellers, and the upcoming financial uncertainty, as well as transport problems, may see quite a drawn out re-stocking process.
  • mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 373
    edited September 2020
    Votes for Alegree and Axecaster and Six String Supplies from me. All great.

The Creamery have a good reputation for their Wide Range Humbuckers - they make their own and mod the reissue Fender ones in various ways to make the more vintage correct/

Some others to add to those already mentioned-

James' Home of Tone
    Charles Guitars
    Tonetech
    Bloodstone Guitar Works
    Tiny Tone
    Northwest Guitars

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • mikem8634 said:
    Votes for Alegree and Axecaster and Six String Supplies from me. All great.

The Creamery have a good reputation for their Wide Range Humbuckers - they make their own and mod the reissue Fender ones in various ways to make the more vintage correct/

Some others to add to those already mentioned-

James' Home of Tone
    Charles Guitars
    Tonetech
    Bloodstone Guitar Works
    Tiny Tone
    Northwest Guitars

Brill...thanks, I’ll check them all out!
  • Axes r us
      feline
      north west guitars
  • Have a look at Fletcher Pickups as well
  • Glued to Music
    Rothko & Frost
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    Northwest have just started doing aged bits and bobs

Rothko & Frost for decals

Axetec

Allparts.co.uk - if it isn't in stock the can get it from Allparts.Com quite quickly

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2394
    Not mentioned so far but I've found WD Music (UK) pretty good for parts I've needed.
  • Jimbro66 said:
    Not mentioned so far but I've found WD Music (UK) pretty good for parts I've needed.
    Good point. I just ordered a few things from them 
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 139
    You have to get the pots from @sixstringsupplies they are amazing! 
  • Thanks for all the suggestions, I’ll be checking them out!

@gjonesy funnily enough, I was looking at them earlier, though will probably just get a pre wired harness for it
  • Musicwolf said:
    I don't know whether anyone else has experienced this but I've noticed that more and more parts seem to be out of stock.  This seems to be across a range of industries.  My borther-in-law owns a cycle shop and he can't get new bikes this year whilst spares are becoming scarce.
    Yeah , that's exactly what it is . It goes quite a few months back when I was looking at getting a Floyd rose rail tail bridge with narrow spacing . 
    Northwestguitars had them below £200 but they were out of stock and the only accessible place for UK ( without custom charges ) was Thomann , which is around £400 .
    That pandemic situation got everything upside down...

• https://www.towymusic.com for Schaller stuff and other bits and bobs.  Based in Wales
  • The Creamery and Mojo have both provided me with excellent pickups. 

Most hardware comes from northwest and red dog, although I have gone further afield a couple of times. 

I get the odd body from boo boo as I prefer to put my own efforts into the neck. Just depends what I see
  • Theres a chap called BlackRock guitar parts on Ebay, does a few little things well priced and quick post. 
    Most of mine is northwest guitars and all parts. 
    Black dog music is another good seller.
    Theres also tonetech who have a wide range available 
    Self proclaimed Luthier and guitar building addict, professional man-cave dweller Website . Facebook . Instagram . YouTube
  • FlipFlip Frets: 54
    I wish I'd come across this forum and this question before I ordered. My supplier - sadly one recommended here - is only a few miles from me but is taking ages getting me a new rolling bridge for my Gretsch G5420T
  • Big fan of Faber and Callaham hardware here. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • @sixstringsupplies did you recently switch to Royal Mail tracked 48 (as opposed to untracked first class) recently? I could have sworn that was an option before so just checking I'm not going mad! :)
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 423
    tFB Trader
    @sixstringsupplies did you recently switch to Royal Mail tracked 48 (as opposed to untracked first class) recently? I could have sworn that was an option before so just checking I'm not going mad! :)
    yes mate. Royal Mail are well and truly swamped with COVID/Lockdown/Black Friday and in some circumstances First Class and First Class Signed For is taking up to 10 days to arrive...naturally when an order runs late in the post, everyone always asks for a tracking number, First Class is untracked as you say.

So currently we offer Tracked 48 or DHL Express, both are fully tracked. BUT even Tracked 48 is taking up to 5 days in rare circumstances. Cant wait for things to go back to normal.
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • @sixstringsupplies did you recently switch to Royal Mail tracked 48 (as opposed to untracked first class) recently? I could have sworn that was an option before so just checking I'm not going mad! :)
    yes mate. Royal Mail are well and truly swamped with COVID/Lockdown/Black Friday and in some circumstances First Class and First Class Signed For is taking up to 10 days to arrive...naturally when an order runs late in the post, everyone always asks for a tracking number, First Class is untracked as you say.

So currently we offer Tracked 48 or DHL Express, both are fully tracked. BUT even Tracked 48 is taking up to 5 days in rare circumstances. Cant wait for things to go back to normal.
    Thought that was the case buddy. I've had second class stuff turn up after 2 weeks, and even 1st class isn't immune as you said. Hopefully it calms down after Xmas!
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 92
    Thumbs up for Six String Supplies, I am Uber fussy when it comes to pot specs and their Premium pots are the biz. Great comms and delivery too.
    and an unnecessary pic showing their pots to brighten up things.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I have used Toneriders on a few Tele's, Hot Classics are a personal fave, also Warman do a great range of good pickups for al applications, you can even email Josie personally, they are good prices too, I have used their single coil sized hum buckers a few times, they rock
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4680
    I've got Tonerider City Limits neck & middle pickups on a partscaster - they are really good! (It's got a Seymour Duncan JB humbucker at the bridge).

BTN Music (https://www.btnmusic.co.uk/ ) are great for parts; I've bought several Hipshot eXtenders from them and have had several chats at shows and on the phone (getting special-order eXtenders for Rickenbacker basses).
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 423
    tFB Trader
    Mike58 said:
    Thumbs up for Six String Supplies, I am Uber fussy when it comes to pot specs and their Premium pots are the biz. Great comms and delivery too.
    and an unnecessary pic showing their pots to brighten up things.

thanks for the recommendation @Mike58 that pickguard looks superb!
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
  • JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
    Any place in UK I can buy all screws I need with a consistent same colour and quality plating on all of them ?

I need all bits in gold:
    Humbucker pole screws
    Humbucker adjusting screws ( M3 thread )
    Humbucker rings screws 

I have found all I need on either eBay or different online shops , but non of them list everything at one place and so the plating  colour matching is an issue . 

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6565
    tFB Trader
    AllParts? Assuming they have stock
  • JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
    AllParts? Assuming they have stock
    I haven't tried them yet . I'll have a look . Thanks @SteveRobinson ;