Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What's the protocol with sales to new members - Help & Feedback Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What's the protocol with sales to new members

What's Hot
I'm a bit of a cynic where it comes to sales. Possibly scarred by too many idiots on eBay using the platform as a try before you buy service, this may help explain the content of this post.

I'm currently selling a guitar...no surprise there on this forum. I've been contacted twice in the last week by new members wanting to buy the guitar. Both whose accounts have literally just been created. Now pedals, I may just entertain the idea of selling, but for an expensive item like a guitar, I've basically just said thanks but no thanks.

Now I realise 2 things, 1. I'm not exactly an old member myself, but I've at least made an effort to integrate in the community and have bought and sold with good members and established, what I hope is a good reputation. I realise we've all got to start somewhere. And 2. I may be turning my back on a completely legitimate sale and buyer. But I'd rather exercise good caution than be potentially scammed, even if it does mean I lose the sale.

So, what's the general protocol with brand new (like 30 mins old) members and selling??? Cash on collection only? Am I as the seller covers on PayPal G&S too? Or will it end up screwing me if the buyer tries it on?

TIA for any advice?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 751
    I think your reticence is understandable. I would feel much happier dealing with people who'd been around here for a while that could show some sort of record of trust. That being said, it really is up to you if you think it is a risk or not. I'm guessing some people read the classifieds and then sign up to the board if there is something they fancy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    I'd take cash on collection if you're cautious. Or PayPal gift if you're shipping.

But perhaps try to talk/PM them to see what you feel about them. They could, quite reasonably have put in a Google search for what you have, found this place and seen your advert.

What's your criteria for an "established member"? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Vintage-TVintage-T Frets: 402
     drofluf said:
    I'd take cash on collection if you're cautious. Or PayPal gift if you're shipping.

But perhaps try to talk/PM them to see what you feel about them. They could, quite reasonably have put in a Google search for what you have, found this place and seen your advert.

anyone with a bit of interaction on the site, hopefully a feedback thread?

I guess at the end of the day it's about the vibe you get from the messages. Both were living abroad both had hallmark requests that smelled of a scam, at least to the suspicious mind.
    kaypeejay said:
    I think your reticence is understandable. I would feel much happier dealing with people who'd been around here for a while that could show some sort of record of trust. That being said, it really is up to you if you think it is a risk or not. I'm guessing some people read the classifieds and then sign up to the board if there is something they fancy.
    I think it's the value of the item that's off putting, the loss incurred would simply be too much to bear. I love the community on this forum, and it seems like there needs to be a bit of a period where any user establishes themselves into that community. If they're legit, there's ways to prove it in the end I guess.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3144
    Vintage-T said:
     drofluf said:

anyone with a bit of interaction on the site, hopefully a feedback thread?

I guess at the end of the day it's about the vibe you get from the messages. Both were living abroad both had hallmark requests that smelled of a scam, at least to the suspicious mind.
    That would be enough to put me off as well
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 5594
    I agree - I wouldn’t sell to any new member that lived abroad. Would ask for cash on collection for any expensive item being bought by a new member.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 10901
    tFB Trader
    If selling or buying from someone you don't know , make it as formal as possible. 
    Use of Paypal should be sending a proper detailed invoice , not just a money request.
    Shipping should be through as reputable courier  as possible with signature required and end to end tracking

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8372
    FWIW I sold one of my Felines to a 'new' guy who lived abroad: he and I both shared full particulars of our professional credentials, websites, facebook profiles etc. Built trust, and I was happy to go for it.  After he wired me the cash :naughty: 

Not saying it's a golden rule by any means but for me, and it worked out that time, communication is the key...  
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    I wouldn't mind how long someone had been on here. If he wants to come to my house with cash, he can have it  =)
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    Hattigol said:
    I wouldn't mind how long someone had been on here. If he wants to come to my house with cash, he can have it  =)
    For sure, anyone cash on collection would be fine. Living abroad and doing the old...I'll pay and sort all the delivery issues screams SCAM!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hello Andy,

I'm guessing I was one of the new members you were referring to in your post above. (remember, I wanted to buy the red strat with channel bound neck). Luckily, I managed to find another one, a 2018 Pro model, as new (with channel bound neck of course) on reverb. Great guitar. Seller was in Italy, he was very helpful and there were no issues at all with delivery (to Paris), or payment and guitar arrived on time in perfect condition.

In my case I had been looking at the ads on this website for a while but only joined when I saw something I genuinely wanted to buy. Anyway, I guess we can blame the scammers for your caution, but this of course doesn't help the genuine guys (and there are still a few of us left !!). Still not 100% sure how these scams work, if the payment is confirmed and the money is in seller account before guitar is shipped, surely there is more risk for the buyer than the seller? 

Lastly, is that Collings 290 DC you were selling a while ago still available? If it were a SC I would definitely wanted/ tried to buy it. I am looking for a decent SC SPU guitar but not willng to pay Gibson CS LP junior prices.

Cheers, Steven

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2016
    I have this situation right now....buyer with no posts...been a member for 4 years...lives abroad...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8170
    spark240 said:
    I have this situation right now....buyer with no posts...been a member for 4 years...lives abroad...
    I tell people I am always happy to ship and will box it up securely but:

a) the risk is 100% with them;
    b) payment is by bank transfer or PPG so there is no question of refunds if there is any damage.

If it's possible to work a scam around that, I'm yet to see it.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • Hattigol said:
    spark240 said:
    I tell people I am always happy to ship and will box it up securely but:

a) the risk is 100% with them;
    b) payment is by bank transfer or PPG so there is no question of refunds if there is any damage.

If it's possible to work a scam around that, I'm yet to see it.
    Card payment via ppg that is then clawed back via a chargeback, I'd be more comfortable with a BACS transfer.