Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Well-known songs that use Modes - Theory Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Well-known songs that use Modes

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10211
    Could modes also be described as 'moods?' Eg,each modal scale evokes a different emotion 'suspense' 'happiness' and so forth? Sorry if I've asked this before but its something that keeps nagging me when I hear the word 'modes.'
    Yes, certainly. 
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4451
    The more you go down the theory rabbit hole you realise that just thinking modes is only part of the equation. Yes it helps you branch out from typical Major/Minor song writing/soloing giving you 4 extra flavours (ignoring Locrian), i.e. Phrygian/Mixolydian/Dorian/Lydian and therefore playing the same shapes on the fretboard
    But when you start to analyse songs from say the Beatles, you get constantly confused as they may borrow chord from a parallel mode.
    You think you may be safe say in C major with a chord progression of C Em F G and back to C then all of a sudden in the next verse Em is substituted with Eb Major from a parallel mode (either C Dorian/Phrygian/Aeolian) or the Eb leads into the Em chord
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter