Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Cheap passive stage monitors - Amps Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Cheap passive stage monitors

bertiebertie Frets: 12145
so,  Wharfdale active monitor not cutting the mustard,  mrs bert (and band) are going down the individual  channel aux out->power amp->passive monitor  option.  (one singer to the left channel, one singer to the right channel)  BUT dont want to spend a fortune on kit.

Already have a power amp to    -  just need some wedges.............thing is it seems to be £100 a pair,  or £600 a pair...........doesnt seem to be much in the middle ground

are the "£100 a pair" cheap things (pulse/qtx) all over Ebay - OK ?  as in are they a  real pile of shit, avoid or OK for the money, you get what you pay for

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
 just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    Sounds good if maybe not outstanding, solid and reliable working-man's gear, that's sensibly-priced but not cheap shit...

... is spelt P-e-a-v-e-y.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 648
    ICBM said:
    Sounds good if maybe not outstanding, solid and reliable working-man's gear, that's sensibly-priced but not cheap shit...

I have some Peavey Messengers, wouldn't hesitate to buy again.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3950
    edited September 2013
    Bertie, would this be of any use for your missus?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_b_205d.htm

It's obviously not passive but if it is of use then let me know because I'll be putting in the classifieds in due course for £75.  Basically, in very good nick and got for a drummer who didn't last long in the band and the new drummer doesn't do BVs.

Oli
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    edited September 2013
    thanks Oli,  but mrs bert wants/demands/needs  old school "big buggers on the floor"  - who am I to argue.

She's used Peavey for donkeys years (20 odd) and In the duo she uses her Peavey  XT 112s and a pair of impulse 200s......which I agree would make ideal monitors...(.but they dont want to split the gear between band and duo...)...........  these are making £200 used in really terrible condition........and the problem with ebayus......is "collection only"  and nowt near Brizzle..............
  • There is a local band who have a monster Peavey rig and use these

http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Peavey-PV15M-Two-Way-Floor-Monitor/HJ5

Does the job nicely.
  • Looking a bit more into it you could also look at these.

http://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Peavey-PVx-12-Passive-12-Speaker/JJE
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3532
    edited September 2013
    I have a pair of D.A.S. 1x15" + horn passive wedges covered in rat fur.

As with all passive wedges the real trick is to match the power to the cabinet.

Nice flatish response so no nasty feedback peeks. Thems big but beautiful.

Here is a pdf of the PF015 cabinet and series
    350w RMS each at 8 Ohm so you need some power to light them up but they go loud and clear.

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 23224
    IMO, as with most things, you get what you pay for.  I bought some cheap ones from Thomann years ago.  Absolute junk they were.
    Humans are destructive parasites that will destroy the celestial oasis of Earth.  The sooner Homo Sapiens are extinct, the better.
  • daveyh said:
    ICBM said:

I have some Peavey Messengers, wouldn't hesitate to buy again.
    We have some, theyre ace.
    *UPDATE*      

well they're going to go with using mrs berts 8.5c and a pair of PV12Ms
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3532
    Be carefull with the 8.5c, it's designed for installation and might have a hard time banging about on the road. I had one I used happily for a few years on the road but I boxed and babyed it. Heavy bugger for the power by todays standards.
    edited September 2013
    ESBlonde said:
    Be carefull with the 8.5c, it's designed for installation and might have a hard time banging about on the road. 
    it was mrs bert's main gigging amp for well over 10 years..probably closer to 15 (after she had the DPC nicked)...always in an SKB rack...... its built like the proverbial

Anyway........... she used the monitor (and 8.5) for the first time on Saturday......and  glowing reports have been passed back  
    :)