Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). NPD: MXR Micro Chorus - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

NPD: MXR Micro Chorus

not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
edited September 2013 in FX

I've been tempted by these before, but after reading @stickyfiddle 's recent chorus thread I got the bug to give one a try.

I had a few amazon vouchers to spend, so I was plesently surprised to see them on there, £66 with free delivery...so why not.

Super simple to operate of course, and great sounds all the way through the speed control. I was a bit dubious about that set-up after have a few more complex pedals (Boss CE-5, Visual Sounds Liquid Chorus) but all the sounds I want are in there.

I've got a TC Corona on my big board, but this is going to sit nicely with the MXR Micro Flanger on my smaller board.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    I've got a couple of original 1980s ones and they're still my favourite ever chorus. The old ones have a bit of a problem with getting noisy though - both mine are, one worse than the other - so I might pick up a reissue and see if it sounds as good but without the hiss...

Simplicity achieved in a totally different way from the Boss Dimension C, which I know some people love but I hated! The MXR is so much more swirly and flexible. And you can turn the knob with your foot if you put the rubber thing on it (ooh err ;).)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • After listening to lots of demos after my chorus thread I think these look brilliant, purely for that "barely on but definitely on" type subtlety. Anything higher than that and all chorus is horrible.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698

I loves mine, I've had 2 Boss chorus (Chorii??) pedals, but prefer the MXR, usually set somewhere between 10 and 12 o'clock.

You might just find it moving from the small to the big board. 

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    After listening to lots of demos after my chorus thread I think these look brilliant, purely for that "barely on but definitely on" type subtlety. Anything higher than that and all chorus is horrible.
    The brilliant thing about them is that they do that at low speed settings, but as you turn them up they go from there to proper chorus where you *can* hear the effect much more clearly, to Leslie-esque swirl, but somehow without passing through Cheesy 80s Chorus.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• mike_l said:

You might just find it moving from the small to the big board. 

I actually seem to be gigging more often with the smaller board. Both have all the essentials, and we're mostly cramped in the corner of a pub anyway.
  • ICBM said:
    After listening to lots of demos after my chorus thread I think these look brilliant, purely for that "barely on but definitely on" type subtlety. Anything higher than that and all chorus is horrible.
    The brilliant thing about them is that they do that at low speed settings, but as you turn them up they go from there to proper chorus where you *can* hear the effect much more clearly, to Leslie-esque swirl, but somehow without passing through Cheesy 80s Chorus.

:)
    Sounds excellent!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698
    Coolio, It's definitely a gigable pedal, far easier to use than pedals with multiple controls, and no real bad settings (some aren't very subtle..........)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)