Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Anyone used Crimson Guitars Grain Enhancing filler - Making & Modding Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Anyone used Crimson Guitars Grain Enhancing filler

What's Hot
I purchased the Ruby and Gold versions to have a play. It is the consistency of a very thin metallic paint. I asked the chaps at Crimson for a clue on how to use as it wasn't what I was expecting. I was directed to add a few layers on and then sand back. It didn't really work as I got either the whole lot off or patches of metallic wood where there was a very thin layer left. I was expecting the grain to have popped with the filler remaining. It didn't happen just seemed to waste the product and the time. It's going on to a bare ash body sanded to 320.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 15793
    edited June 2020
    That's the joys of grain filler.  It can be quite tricky to get the right level of filler in the grain and the right level of sand back afterwards.

I prefer to rub it in along the grain and wipe most of it off across the grain, leaving little to sand. 

But in all honesty, I hate the stuff and avoid where possible 

(that's grainfiller on general... Not tried the crimson stuff) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    I'm using their gold on a build I'm going atm.

It's at the stage of the filler done, and a couple of coats of stain over the top.  Looking OK so far, but it was going onto some Mahogany with plenty of grain to be filled.

Pics are on this thread.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • About to put the Sapphire onto black dyed mahogany. Sounds like the wipe off needs to be swift and well buffed in. Will stain black again over it and see how it works out. Might require multiple runs. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I might use some on my course build there tomorrow, I’ll be onto finishing by lunchtime :)
  • I’ve had a play with the gold Crimson grail filler and got mixed results which left the ash looking patchy. 

Wondering if I wire brush the grain a little first, then gold grain fill and then sand back that might give a better result? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I used the red one on a head shell I made from Ash, and it worked well. Sadly no pictures mid-way, and I can't remember how I sanded it, but it was my first wood work project, so I probably did it wrong. I think I sanded it back with very fine paper, say 400 or 600 grit, making it easy to control how much came off. Was nice and even, but I was staining it red afterwards anyway, so it was mainly for depth.