Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Have you ever... - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Have you ever...

What's Hot
bought a guitar, thought it was awesome and then picked it up a coupe of weeks later and thought "nah, don't like it anymore"?

Guitar in question is my Eric Johnson strat. It's the neck, the guitars great but the neck I think is too flat for me. A strat should have a big camber....I should like the EJ radius but its feeling all wrong. I like the back shape, in fact everything else about the guitar.

I should like this, I've wanted one for ages....oh cock. Am I being slightly mental?

Might be keeping my 57 reissue.....
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• All the time. Not just guitars. Amps, pedals. Everything. Tone seeking is a curse.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I've been going through the same thing with a G&L I bought a while ago.  I love the sound, the looks, the trem but keep wishing the neck was a little fatter and would rather have a 10" radius than a 12.  I've been going back and forward between trading it or keeping it for weeks now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Glad I'm not on my own then....
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    Adam_MD said:
    I've been going through the same thing with a G&L I bought a while ago.  I love the sound, the looks, the trem but keep wishing the neck was a little fatter and would rather have a 10" radius than a 12.  I've been going back and forward between trading it or keeping it for weeks now.
    Ooo what G&L is it?
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6284
    Glad I'm not on my own then....
    Definitely not !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • I agree about the neck on the EJ Strat - it is too flat for me.

Certain guitars seem to get hyped to the point where you are almost 'expected' to like them. The EJ Strat seems to be one of them. I'm not suggesting there is anything wrong with them, they are just not for me.

I'm fairly instinctive about guitar purchases. If a two minute unplugged noodle on one doesn't do much for me, it goes back on the wall. The only time I've made bad buys is where I have spent longer, trying to convince myself....
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    edited September 2013
    Yes I have done it, a black dove tele. I thought it would satisfy my craving for a tele and a les Paul junior, it did neither. It was also extremely ugly to my eyes. Nicely built though, and it was second hand so I didn't lose out. But I was very disappointed. :(

It's not that it was a bad guitar, it was my expectation of it was wrong.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • All the time. I find that if I start hating or disliking a guitars a few weeks away from it is all thats needed to make me like it again and remember why I bought it. Of course sometimes I still don't like it and that's when it gets sold. I think though there are just some guitars we like the idea of having but just are not right for us for one reason or another

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698

Not within a couple of weeks......

Although my old LP was literally played 3 times in 3 years before being P/X'd against my Charvel, Sammie, which gets played way more.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • richardhomer;26161" said:
    If a two minute unplugged noodle on one doesn't do much for me, it goes back on the wall.
    @richardhomer I think I usually do this, but this time I went via eBay...there's only one guitar I bought from eBay that I really like, and even that was through someone I know so I got a trusted opinion of it first. Try before you buy....
    grungebob;26184" said:
    All the time. I find that if I start hating or disliking a guitars a few weeks away from it is all thats needed to make me like it again and remember why I bought it
    Good idea going to try this first @grungebob. With any luck the secondhand market will start to pick up soon!

mike_l;26185" said:
    Not within a couple of weeks....
    lmao @mike_l

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 7616
    tFB Trader
    I'd gassed another flying V for ages after selling my seventies Ibanez ... it took me less than two weeks to regret buying my Epi Korina V. Apalling balance, disappointing sustain, gutless pickups ... I used to sit looking at it thinking: how can anything that looks this good be so uninspiring to play?
    Funnily enough I still gas another V badly ... but one as good as my old Ibanez was. Other people have told me I may well have got a Friday afternoon Epi ... but I've avoided em like the plague ever since.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited September 2013
    I bought a very expensive vintage Gibson a few months back - a '77 Les Paul Signature - a fantastic looking and sounding thing, but after a short time I found myself getting hand cramps from the neck, so it had to go. The final nail in the coffin was buying a Danelectro for a hundred quid which is a joy to play.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7086
    edited September 2013
    I bought a Thunderbird bass back in the 80s - awful thing, hideously unbalanced and full of dodgy wiring - took it back and bought something else

Manhattan Midnight Ltd. Ed. Les Paul - couldn't get the damn thing to play in tune despite all sorts of work being done on it - sold it on.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698

lmao @mike_l
    It's true, I tend to not shift guitars or amps for that matter on too quickly.
    Thinking about it, I shifted on a Squire Strat, I had my Jackson (Laura) and my ESP (The beast) and felt I didn't need it. (I wish I still had it-needed a pup upgrade though)
    My old Epi LP which after major bowel surgery left my body quite mis-shapen and the LP didn't "fit" me properly. Also the neck was massively thick in comparison to my other guitars.
    An old Hohner LP copy - given to a mate to learn on (he hasn't) mind this guitar is a bit shit.

\m/

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)