Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Early oasis settings - Theory Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Early oasis settings

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• i have a jmp 2104 50w master volume combo. Cant get more 70s rock than that id say.

Whatever amp is used it would have to be pretty high up on the volume would you agree to get power valve overdrive?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1005
    Did Noel not play Voxs around that time as well?

I do think the Oasis sound - but especially the early Oasis sound - is just everything turned up to 10.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8207
    tFB Trader
    LPManic said:
    Did Noel not play Voxs around that time as well?

I do think the Oasis sound - but especially the early Oasis sound - is just everything turned up to 10.
    He did. In fact, “don’t look back in anger” was recorded on a strat and AC30.

Everything apart from the gain. If you listen, it’s actually pretty clean in a lot of places. 

I’ve just picked up a jcm900 combo and tbh within a few mins (even using a Tele) I was right back in my element playing oasis tunes. And the gain was far from maxed out. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • If you look at the knebworth gig on youtube at the very start the camera pans across his jcm 900...you only see the preamp setting for channel A and B (B is the lead channel)......the preamp is 3/4 on the lead channel and every time i see an oasis gig from the early days the red LED on his jcm 900 is on indicating the lead channel is selected...this has thrown me a bit cos i think this sounds like too much gain....however, as the master volume is increased the amp is less compressed and it sounds like this could actually be the setting 
  • longjawlongjaw Frets: 411
    Love how this thread is still on-going after 18 months, there's only 10 knobs on the JCM900!

No one appears to have mentioned the speakers he would have been using - which will have a major impact on the sound.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4649
    Early one -94 -  it appears to have a used an Orange 0d120 half stack and a valvestate combo. with an space echo but no pedals front of the stage
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 10322
    One of the biggest problems I find when you are playing Oasis songs with others is people refuse to accept that there is actually a tone, nuance and style to both Noel AND Bonehead's playing.

There is a good youtube channel from a chap called James Hargreaves (dunno if he posts here, hi if he does) who looks at a lot of Oasis stuff, and he calls Bonehead's playing the sound of Definitely Maybe, which in many ways he is.

From WTSMG onwards it becomes more and more the "Noel show" - until of course the start of Oasis Mk2 when Gem and Andy have an increasing influence on the sound.

Its actually quite refreshing seeing among musicians Oasis seem to be cool to bash, we even had a thread about OCS turn into Oasis bashing the other day, despite the fact without Oasis no-one would have bluddy heard of them.

We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter