Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Amazing how much difference a decent strap makes - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Amazing how much difference a decent strap makes

What's Hot
vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3631
edited September 2013 in Guitar
At this weekend's gig I was about to go into actions with my lovely lightweight P90 Tele when the volume pot just packed up. I have mostly stopped playing my Les Paul because of the weight; last time I played it through the whole gig, my back hurt for weeks. Anyway, I had to use it instead of the Tele but before I did, I changed its plain leather strap with the one I use on my Tele which is a nice padded Levy strap.

What a difference a decent strap makes. I got through the whole gig with no twinges and my back is perfectly fine. All hail to comfy straps!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• Always worth keeping in mind, thanks. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Straps certainly make a difference, I had to stand with my Dean on for about 3 hours at a time. I had a single ply leather Levy's strap and it started to dig in. Non-rolled edges suck... 
    My 16th birthday is coming up this weekend, girlfriend had no idea what to get me, so we popped into Guitar Guitar and Picked up an awesome DSL padded one! Brilliant strap, brilliant Girlfriend! :D they include a little pick holder keyring with the straps. Can't recommend them enough really. Gonna be looking at a cool Hypnotic strap next time I need one though, bit cheaper... ;) 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • IanpdqIanpdq Frets: 131
    I always think the wide suede straps are the most comfortable like these http://hypnoticstraps.com/en_GB/c/TOOLED-SUEDE/60

• TTonyTTony Frets: 26143
    What a difference a decent strap makes. I got through the whole gig with no twinges and my back is perfectly fine. All hail to comfy straps!

I used to think that I had a problem with heavy guitars.

I didn't.  I had a problem with a bad back.

A different strap might mask the problem for a while, but I'd still recommend getting a decent physio to look at your back.  I waited until the disc popped out and it was a lot harder to sort the problem then.

All better now though :)

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7928
    edited September 2013
    I've come to the conclusion that a grippy strap (e.g. suede) is only useful on a very lightweight guitar, to keep it put.  I prefer nylon on heavier guitars so that they can actually move about and not drag your shirt with it.  Switching from a 3" suede strap on my Les Paul to a 3" nylon strap was a great discovery for me.

I use the bog standard Ernie ball on everything electric except my Les Paul, where I use a 3" nylon Levys.  On acoustics I use Leather/suede straps as they stop the guitars moving around too easily since they're so light in comparison.

All IMO/YMMV as always.
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    edited September 2013

And so I have to ask ... as I've never really felt I do it 'right' .... on those suede straps with the multiple holes that you're supposed to thread the narrow end through ... how many in & outs? start & finish where? I know this is to allow for adjustment to strap length ... I just never get a satisfactory result ... somehow ... yeah I know, worrying over nothing ... but still ... is there a good / better / best way to thread the strap through these holes?

• close2uclose2u Frets: 997

You see I've looked at and followed these instructions ... and the results are a bit unsatisfactory ... the thin end sort of rucks / pulls / bulges the thicker strap that it passes along ..

http://www.levysleathers.com/files/pdf/adjustment.pdf

• i had a PRS Singlecut that was over 10lbs and with a 4 inch wide strap it made a huge difference, i still prefer a lighter guitar though

• RolandRoland Frets: 8108
    I prefer wider straps, with a suede underside.  Mine are between 2 1/2 and 3 inches.  They spread the weight more onto the bone than the muscle.  This may not save my back, but it eases the strain on my shoulder muscles.  
    I've come to the conclusion that a grippy strap (e.g. suede) is only useful on a very lightweight guitar, to keep it put.  I prefer nylon on heavier guitars so that they can actually move about and not drag your shirt with it.  Switching from a 3" suede strap on my Les Paul to a 3" nylon strap was a great discovery for me.

I use the bog standard Ernie ball on everything electric except my Les Paul, where I use a 3" nylon Levys.  On acoustics I use Leather/suede straps as they stop the guitars moving around too easily since they're so light in comparison.

All IMO/YMMV as always.
    I haven't experienced a problem with my shirt being dragged, probably because none of my guitars is neck heavy, and I like the guitar with the neck angled upwards.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4255
    Hertz32 said:
     Picked up an awesome DSL padded one! Brilliant strap, brilliant Girlfriend! :D they include a little pick holder keyring with the straps. Can't recommend them enough really. Gonna be looking at a cool Hypnotic strap next time I need one though, bit cheaper... ;) 
    I have 3 DSL straps, had them for a while now, I got them direct from Aus and I really rate them. It seems they are becoming a lot more common in the UK, I know Hotrox have them also.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    hywelg said:
    Hertz32 said:
     Picked up an awesome DSL padded one! Brilliant strap, brilliant Girlfriend! :D they include a little pick holder keyring with the straps. Can't recommend them enough really. Gonna be looking at a cool Hypnotic strap next time I need one though, bit cheaper... ;) 
    I have 3 DSL straps, had them for a while now, I got them direct from Aus and I really rate them. It seems they are becoming a lot more common in the UK, I know Hotrox have them also.
    Yeah, GF payed £44.99 for this one, how was buying direct? 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • +1 for Hypnotic Straps - I have that very Beige Demon strap,  'kin awesome £80 quality, but for nowt
  • Roland said:
    I prefer wider straps, with a suede underside.  Mine are between 2 1/2 and 3 inches.  They spread the weight more onto the bone than the muscle.  This may not save my back, but it eases the strain on my shoulder muscles.  

All IMO/YMMV as always.
    I haven't experienced a problem with my shirt being dragged, probably because none of my guitars is neck heavy, and I like the guitar with the neck angled upwards.

I also like the guitar with the neck angled upwards and my guitars aren't neck heavy.

I experience the problem playing live (or when rehearsing the 'stage moves').  I usually play in rock/metal bands so do the whole wide leg stance + headbang thing.  Under stage lights and after moving around for a bit it gets very sweaty, and a heavy (10lb+) guitar with a suede strap does start pulling my shirt around at that point in my experience.  I guess it depends on your guitar, its weight, and how much you move around on stage.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited April 2016
    close2u said:

You see I've looked at and followed these instructions ... and the results are a bit unsatisfactory ... the thin end sort of rucks / pulls / bulges the thicker strap that it passes along ..

I know they're the strap makers 'n all... but that's wrong.

The way you do it is to feed the thin strap up and down through *all* of the remaining slots, including the very first one right next to the loop. That locks the whole thing into place firmly and it never rucks.

Like this:

(You can possibly miss out some of the middle ones but the first slot right next to the loop is essential.)

It does make it more time-consuming to adjust, but once you've got it right you never need to. Of course if you have more than one guitar which needs a different strap length, you just buy more straps :). So I'm very surprised Levy's haven't thought about that ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• ICBM said:
    close2u said:

I know they're the strap makers 'n all... but that's wrong.

The way you do it is to feed the thin strap up and down through *all* of the remaining slots, including the very first one right next to the loop. That locks the whole thing into place firmly and it never rucks.

Like this:

(You can possibly miss out some of the middle ones but the first slot right next to the loop is essential.)

It does make it more time-consuming to adjust, but once you've got it right you never need to. Of course if you have more than one guitar which needs a different strap length, you just buy more straps :). So I'm very surprised Levy's haven't thought about that ;).
    I agree. That said, I have all except my acoustic one of those on the longest adjustment, which neatly avoids having to think about it :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    As above , my levys strap is the perfect length on its longest adjustment :)
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 648
    I use Get'm Get'm straps now. They adjust to 70-something inches, but for me the buckle sits nicely on the chest for looks.
  • I have a Levys leather strap for my Les Paul and it makes a humungous difference, I agree.

Prior to that, the regular strap used to cut into my shoulder something rotten. I don't use my LP with my current band, as it doesn't suit tonewise, but in future that Levys strap could be the difference between me playing it and not.

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4636
    edited September 2013
    This is where too much GASsing gets you over the years. These are just the ones hanging on the back of the door, there's a few more knocking about somewhere... 

I've used them all on and off and find generally the wider the better. The two on the left are custom made for me by Barefoot Leather to my spec and exact length, so there's no adjustment or buckle. They cost about £25-£30 each a couple of years ago. The brown one on the far left is for a Les Paul and the black one next to it is for Strats - modelled after Mr Gilmour's black straps as used in the 1970s and shown in The Black Strat book - yes I know I am sad! They're both comfortable and as they're made of thickish and sturdy leather they stay on the strap buttons very firmly without the need for straplocks or Grolsch rubber washers. PRS straps are my next favourite for comfort - there's a black leather and a tan suede one in the pic, both bought second hand off evilbay - on the longest setting they're the perfect length for me with a PRS or Strat but not quite long enough for a Les Paul.

• See, it's not about length at all, it's about girth.

Any girl will tell you that.