Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). How do you rate the Marshall Vintage Modern? - Amp Reviews Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

How do you rate the Marshall Vintage Modern?

What's Hot
Looking for a old plexi / JMP character amp with an fx loop.

Is the in built boost balanced enough to use it as two channels at a gig or will I be riding the guitar control (not a problem - but I’d like it stay bright like my JMP.)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1896
    I thought they were awful. They don't sound vintage, they don't have modern features. Avoid IMHO. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4005
    Lodious said:
    I thought they were awful. They don't sound vintage, they don't have modern features. Avoid IMHO. 
    100% agree, struggled to get a decent sound out of mine
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    The Origin is pretty nice if you don't need much drive. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bananamanbananaman Frets: 191
    I completely disagree with the above. They are criminally underrated, and therefore an absolute steal to buy. They are a guaranteed future classic for sure. The problem with them is that because the body and detail knobs are such powerful tone shapers it's really easy to get a bad sound out of them. The trick is to run the body control much lower than the detail. Think of it as a jumpered 4 holer. LDR pretty much is a JTM45 and HDR gets you a hot rodded version of that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bananamanbananaman Frets: 191

Is the in built boost balanced enough to use it as two channels at a gig or will I be riding the guitar control (not a problem - but I’d like it stay bright like my JMP.)

No, it's definitely a single channel amp with 2 voicings. Engaging HDR causes the volume to jump noticeably.
  • adaminoadamino Frets: 125
    Go for a Marshall Origin and use pedals.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1659
    They are 77w of naff. 
  • Nerine said:
    They are 77w of naff. 
    Thanks
  • Dave8Dave8 Frets: 210
    There are a lot of options from the current Marshall catalog. 

Sv20h
    sc20h
    2525h
    1987x
    2555x

all would do a classic Marshall sound with the right tweeking and have fx loops. I guess it depends if you need 2 channels and if a master volume is needed. 
  • I have a new DSL now and very impressed with the 4 voices, crunch channel is just perfect and two master volumes.  
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3773
    bananaman said:

No, it's definitely a single channel amp with 2 voicings. Engaging HDR causes the volume to jump noticeably.
    The HDR does cause a big volume jump when the amp is quiet, but at big gig volume it doesn't   

I think they can sound great, but so can a JVM and it doesn't come with the issues of a vintage modern
  • I have lots of Marshalls, vintage and newer ones too. Vintage Modern more than punches with the best of them but it takes a bit of learning.

The master volume isn’t the best design and sucks a fair bit of tone, you really need it at 8 or above to get the best out of it otherwise it sounds a little starved.

Detail+body are your treble and normal channel volumes. The circuit on LDR is pretty much exactly a JTM45. HDR kicks in an extra gain stage and on this mode you can get away with the master a bit lower (around 5 is the sweet spot).

Its really a single channel amp with various modes, and I think that’s something else people get wrong about the amp. 

I’ve played it side by side with my JMP era super bass and 1959HW and it absolutely does the plexi thing. Absolutely destroys the Origin (which I also have). I’d genuinely pick one over a JTM45 purely for the fact it already has mods done for more tonal options. Hunt around and find a deal on these while you can.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Look for an slx and keep the gain down. Great amps.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I had one. Only amp I ever bought new. Loved the sound but it kept breaking down
  • BGGBGG Frets: 664
    I think the Vintage Modern needs to be cranked right up, then it sounds killer. 
    #thebatesmotelband
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3112
    edited January 2023
    I am still after something to act as a spare for my late 70’s 2x12 JMP which is getting heavily gigged.  The DSL is great for small venues but lacks the depth and girth of the JMP.   Looking for a solid 50-100w
  • ClassicClassic Frets: 40
    I had the lower watt version at the same time as a 1987X and, for a single channel amp it went toe to toe. The 1987X had a little more depth to the sound but not much. I sold the 1987X because the VM met my needs better but eventually sold the VM as I needed a volume boost for solos, which it couldn’t do due to the design of the FX loop.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 2811
    I had a great time with my VM, I’d get another in a heartbeat if I needed the higher wattage. Life’s got quieter and an 18watter is plenty loud enough now, so I guess it’d gather dust but it was a lovely thing. Sounded awesome and recorded really well, never had a complaint.
  • Only amp I ever bought new. Sounded good, I thought, but kept breaking down.