Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Source Audio Collider preset change and MIDI issues - FX Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Source Audio Collider preset change and MIDI issues

sjo89sjo89 Frets: 173
Just got my collider. Hooked it up to my Boss ES5 via MIDI. Also using the MIDI THRU on Collider into my Boss MD200. MD200 is on MIDI channel 1, Collider channel 2. Have various presets created on the Collider. Send PC out from ES5. MD200 changes instantaneously, Collider takes over half a second to change and it also makes a little 'click' in signal change, which comes out of amp. Also when changing between presets on collider, there are no trails, which makes changes sound very abrupt (i have trails on feature turn on to via Neuro app). Even when changing channels on the Boss ES5 and both channels use the same Collider preset (i.e. they send the same PC to collider) it 'resets' and all the trails stop. Are these fixable? If not its going back I'm afraid. cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ragingbenragingben Frets: 103
    Sorry - I have no expert with the Collider, but I did have the programmable EQ by Source Audio. I had a midi controller changing both the EQ and the amp. The amp channels used to change as good as instantaneously but the EQ seemed to take an age. It was probably less than a quarter of a second but it was really noticeable so I ended up selling it and moving on. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • sjo89sjo89 Frets: 173
    ragingben said:
    Sorry - I have no expert with the Collider, but I did have the programmable EQ by Source Audio. I had a midi controller changing both the EQ and the amp. The amp channels used to change as good as instantaneously but the EQ seemed to take an age. It was probably less than a quarter of a second but it was really noticeable so I ended up selling it and moving on. 
    Yeh, I fear as much. I was using my HX Stomp for all my wet fx but wanted to try something else. I dont hear these complaints about strymons, eventides etc. so its poor of source audio to have a glitch like this. 
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2350
    I'd send something to SA helpline. Their kit is of such high quality, I'd be surprised if they can't solve it for you
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3116
    @sjo89 ;
    Did you manage to find a solution for this?  Or did you have to send the collider back?
  • sjo89sjo89 Frets: 173
    NelsonP said:
    @sjo89 ;
    Did you manage to find a solution for this?  Or did you have to send the collider back?
    Source Audio say theres nothing you can do about the lag or clicking noise as the processor needs this time to load in next preset....so the midi is kinda useless
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3116
    Wow. That is pretty crap then. Collider is off my wish list.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4501
    edited October 2023
    Mild necro bump to say I wish I'd seen this before buying a Collider (on the latest firmware) last week! It's all still as per the OP says. Loading presets takes too long if you're actually playing something. I found you can avoid the relay clicking if you run the pedal in buffered analogue dry bypass mode rather than true bypass. 

In an attempt to improve things, I also found it suffers from the same MIDI CC command issue that I found for the Plethora X3 when you use an ES-5 to send the MIDI.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/254178/npd-plethora-x3-but-its-going-back#latest

There's something about the Boss ES series and the way it sends multiple MIDI commands that some pedals (Plethora and now the Collider) don't like. They process the first command and ignore the rest. Other MIDI controllers (Hotone, Morningstar, Pirate MIDI) work fine. 

The Collider sounds great, so if you don't need to load presets "mid song" it would be fabulous. I do, so I can't keep it. 
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 569
    I own a second hand Collider and I have to say that I haven't had any of these midi issues.

There is the relay click for sure, but it's never present in the signal and the patch changes are as instant as I can make out, as is the EQ2 that sits next to it.

They are in a midi chain of MC8 > ML-5 > Collider > EQ2 > Amp.

Two things I'd say two make sure of are; its quite thirsty at 300mA so make sure you are giving it plenty of juice; and secondly check you have your i/o set correctly per patch, that might be why the trails are dying if the Collider is expecting or trying to send a different signal on a different patch.
  • abw1989 said:
    I own a second hand Collider and I have to say that I haven't had any of these midi issues.

There is the relay click for sure, but it's never present in the signal and the patch changes are as instant as I can make out, as is the EQ2 that sits next to it.

They are in a midi chain of MC8 > ML-5 > Collider > EQ2 > Amp.

Two things I'd say two make sure of are; its quite thirsty at 300mA so make sure you are giving it plenty of juice; and secondly check you have your i/o set correctly per patch, that might be why the trails are dying if the Collider is expecting or trying to send a different signal on a different patch.
    I can't speak for the OP, but for myself...

You're right about the relay click not being part of the signal. I just had buffered analogue bypass on because it's the last thing in my signal chain before going back to my amp and having the buffer sounded just the same to me, so why not? 

I was feeding it an isolated 660mA supply from a CIOKS DC-7, so I'm sure there was enough power. 

I used "Trails Mode", a global setting, not per preset. I was getting trails if I turned an effect off. If I loaded a new preset, though, it was going silent for a short but noticeable period until the new preset was loaded. 

Anyway, the gap when changing presets, plus the inability of it to respond correctly to the ES-5 when I'm sending multiple CC messages means it isn't usable in my setup. Which is a shame. Glad you (presumably) like yours, though.