Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Rhythm box to buy - Other Instruments Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Rhythm box to buy

Hi. 

I’ve got a PO 33 and have been playing around for a month. Teenage engineering pocket operator, with sampling. 
While it’s helped me a bit with programming rhythm and just a touch with sampling, I’ve not got what I want. 

What I want is a box (not computer) that I can make music to play keys or guitar with. 

Digitakt, 1010 blackbox, OP1 have caught my ear. But am I wasting money if I can’t achieve what I want with the PO33?

any thoughts or experiences welcomed 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• It depends what you are finding limiting about the PO33.
    I think all of those would give you more than the PO does, but would it solve the problem you've got.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Also check out the roland groovebox series - https://www.roland.com/uk/products/mc-101/ ;
  • Zoom RT223 drum machine - cheap , fairly easy to program and has the bass in it - i just programmed a complete 2x45 mins material into one of these from scratch (not using the inbuilt patterns).
    Also has fx and a compressor and runs on batteries if required.
  • jackiojackio Frets: 130
    Ah thank you
    Eh? I wrote loads. Hmmm. 
    @Shark_Eyes its too small. And fiddly. I’ve used it a fair bit since I posted and it’s helped me learn basics of rhythms. 
    @midiman1962 thanks. Looked it up. Looks good but I’ve decided to get an Elektron Cycles. May be just right, if not I can move it on easily 
  • Don't forget the new elektron model bargain price as well 
    Thanks @Strangefan ;

I've just ordered from Gear4music, £299 which is the best price I can find (esp given sold out elsewhere). I'll maybe start a topic when it arrives middle of next week.
  • I'm desperate to get one, but finances don't allow at the mo :(
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 444
    edited February 2020
    Hi @jackio ;;;;I'm also new to sampling. I also own a PO-33 which I bought just after xmas. It's great fun but I do find it to be a bit fiddly. I am sure I will find a use for it with the BB. Sounds daft but I feel need to be in a positive mindset to get my full use out of it. 
    A bit late with the reply but if you do change your mind I can seriously vouch for the 1010 Blackbox. I spent months procrastinating over the Blackbox, OP-1 and Digitakt. I don't regret buying the BB at all.
    Apart from my guitars,  the BB is the best music purchase I have made in a long time. It's so portable, it's far more intuitive than the PO-33. I take mine into work and use it on my lunch break and I can be creative on my commute into work rather than stare at a phone.
    At the moment I love recording simple drum beats using pads then jamming over the loops with a synth using the BB keys. The Customer support for the BB is excellent, 1010 music are a small company but they are evolving, improving and pushing out firmware updates. I haven't got round to recording guitar or pedals into the BB yet, but I think I will be getting something like the Strymon Iridium or Helix Stomp for this application.
    Hi @builttospill ;
    i forgot I wanted a BB ha ha. 
    Good in some ways as I stopped procrastinating and bought something. I’ll feedback when I get it. 
    Sorry about funds @Strangefan. Sort of same here but I’ve had a moment 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    Digitakt is a next level device compared to the other things you list.

I have the Black Box too- I travel with it.
    Digitakt is the one I wouldn't want to give up though.
    Thanks @octatonic ;

I'm going to give the M:C some time, then see if a digitakt is for me. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33263
    edited February 2020
    Model: Cycles looks pretty interesting, I am getting my hands on one on Monday for a few hours and may buy it.
    I wasn't remotely interested in Model: Samples.

MC is much more like Digitone, if you haven't had an FM device before you are going to have to bone up on your synthesis theory unless you want a boxes that only makes ridiculous mess.
    At least MC is more structured and beginning friendly than most other FM devices.

FM is usually the last synthesis type I suggest people get onto- subtractive is the logical place to start.
    Yup I hear you about FM. Gonna have some fun with it I hope. I’m jealous your getting a go on Monday. Mine is due Tuesday or Wednesday 
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2703
    I said I'd write something after I got the Electron model:cycles

Its really great. It's easy to sound reasonable on straight away, makes sense as a sequencer to my inexperienced mind. 

I waited in the car while mrs J went into the gp surgery. Battery pack, headphones, made a good pass at High and Dry rhythm track. Wife came back, complained about her 30 min long wait in a cover centre, yet I thought she'd been a couple of minutes.