Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). What mic for live vocals? - Other Instruments Discussions on The Fretboard

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

What mic for live vocals?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 24852
    I've used SM58s tonnes and they're fine. The one mic I used that really made me notice it was different (i.e. better!) was a Beyer M88 TG. They ain't remotely cheap, but the next time I need to buy a vocal mic it's top of the list.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Have AKG D5, great budget mics. Also use Beta 87a, little to choose between them in a live setting with my rig.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • The beta puts out a hotter signal. Our singer owns one of each and uses the beta. We A/B’d then in our rehearsal room and the beta is the better pick for him
    I used the beta 58 before for a few years and it was pretty good. Way hotter signal meant it was easier on the throat when singing with a full band.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3773
    The Samson Q7 is good value and sounds good.
    This - sound great, excellent feedback rejection and cheap as chips
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 10961
    Another recommendation for the Beta 58.
  • Our singer had a new superlux clone at rehearsal yesterday..sounded fine. 
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 782
    edited February 2020
    I've used SM58s tonnes and they're fine. The one mic I used that really made me notice it was different (i.e. better!) was a Beyer M88 TG. They ain't remotely cheap, but the next time I need to buy a vocal mic it's top of the list.
    Might have to try one of those.  Thinking of a Senny E935/945 but that M88 isnt light years away in price.

Currently using a Beta 57 (not the 57a version - the older one) which I find much nicer on my voice than the 58s (SM or beta).  Doesnt seem to have the mid spike - which happens to be in my strong range anyway so makes it overly harsh sounding.  Adds some body and smoothness by comparison.

Ultimately mic's are similar to other things.  There's little really to choose between models of similar price/specs BUT each will suit different individual voices, being used in different bands differently.  Narrow 3 or 4 down you can afford and go A./B them in a shop, even if you then buy used.