Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Just put some 11s on... - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Just put some 11s on...

What's Hot
ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 1966
... to my unloved LTD with the P-Rails.

It has made SUCH a difference. It came with 9s - way too slinky. I swapped for 10s, but with the XJ frets, I still found it too slinky and my left hand technique pushed chords out of tune.

The 11s, though, are great. Nice and firm (oo-er) and still bendable.

Might just be the change that makes me hang onto it.

I'd only ever put 11s on semis before. One lives and one learns...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    "... goes to eleven."

;)

11s are the perfect string gauge, for me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 1966
    "... still got the old tagger on it"

I might try 11s on the Tele tomorrow. Perhaps I'll be converted!
  • SunburstSunburst Frets: 96
    Chuff, keep us posted on how 11s on your Tele works out - I've been meaning to try it myself!
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 927
    Might I suggest you invest in some of this:

"left hand technique "

Strings make guitars feel, behave and sound different; but if your basics aren't right big strings is just a big crutch.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 5849

I moved to 10s (from 9s) a couple of months ago and have thought about trying 11s to see if I can cope.
    Are you sticking to standard tuning or doing a SRV i.e.Eb?

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this Chuff when you've played them for a while. I've used 10s on everything for years and don't think I've played an electric with 11s. What's the scale length on the ltd?
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    edited August 2013
    I love 11s in Eb. Too much tension for me in standard, though - have to use 10-46 for that.

"left hand technique "

Strings make guitars feel, behave and sound different; but if your basics aren't right big strings is just a big crutch.
    Jeez! Thanks for that advice. I guess I've been doing it wrong for 33 years.  

@Adam_MD I'll report back.  The LTD is LP scale length - 24.75 so similar feel to 10s on the Tele. I'm playing in standard tuning. Feels good.

Not sure what the Tele will feel like, but worth a blast. A little nut work might be required though - 10s to 11s ... not sure whether the strings will bind a bit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8281
    11s all the way. They take it when you dig in, I respect that. They're good men, strong willed with deep character.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • 11s? Jeez. I can't go any higher than 10s on 25.5 scale guitars. My weedy wrists can't take it.
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Went to 11s on my Les Pauls about 3-4 months ago. Tried 11-48 D'addario pure nickels but found the balance between wound and unwound strings uneven. Then tried DR pure blues - lovely sound and feel but too inconsistent and many problems with intonation. Settled on Gibson VR 11-50. Balance is spot on and easy enough to bend.  Still have 10s on my strat but will give 11s a go on next string change. All in standard tuning and no problems with bends.

For the price of a set of strings it is worth trying. However do give them a few weeks to get used to. I tried to move from 10-11s about a year ago and they lasted about 30 minutes before going back to 10s.

• Chuffola said:

"left hand technique "

Jeez! Thanks for that advice. I guess I've been doing it wrong for 33 years.  

Sorry wasn't aiming to be rude.

However, if you're having difficulty keeping chords in tune then you've probably got a technique problem  - either pressing too hard or misplacing the fingers as you set them down, wrist/thumb arm position can all contribute to such a symptom.  It's entirely possible you have been doing it wrong for 33 years, or that it's a recently arisen problem - only you can know that.

Perhaps try a teacher for a bit - there's always something to learn, if not this.

Heavier strings will disguise this issue rather than solve it.

Or it maybe a poorly intonated guitar which heavier strings align better...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
    I was going to reply to @Headphones ... but probably best if I don't.

Next!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Chuffola said:
    I was going to reply to @Headphones ... but probably best if I don't.

Next!
    This.  :-S
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    I've got everything from 10s on solidbodies to flat top twelves on the archtop. Different guitars all have their ideal sounding string gauge. On a Jem 9s sound fine. On an archtop they are silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • I put some 11's on one of my strats that lives in the corner of the living room. I felt that my right hand pick speed was faster than it was with 10's on it (obviously, more tension, less string flap). I've not been brave enough to put 11's on my gigging guitars though, not sure I could do a 2/3 hour set with them.
  • 11s on a 25.5 scale would make my joints ache like crazy, 9-46 is the perfect balance for me of enough beef on the low strings (in std tuning) and enough give up the dusty end to bend up and have decent vibrato

Evilmags said:
    I've got everything from 10s on solidbodies to flat top twelves on the archtop. Different guitars all have their ideal sounding string gauge. On a Jem 9s sound fine. On an archtop they are silly.
    I'd agree with that up to a point - I've never found a guitar which sounds better with 9s on than 10s, although some sound good with 9s. And some guitars do like very specific gauges - I find 10-52 suits a Tele better than anything else including 11s. But generally, 11s sound somewhere between good and best on anything :). I also like a wound G string on most semi-acoustics and a plain G on solidbodies, you can get 11s most easily with both options.

Finger pain is a different issue, if it's too much tension then you can't use them no matter what the sound is like. I can't use 13s on an acoustic and not even 12s on some guitars, they're just too stiff. I also think they seem to sound stiff even when I'm not trying to bend anything, but that may be just perception.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

@ICBM Sounds to me that your technique is poor and a few sessions with an acoustic guitar teacher would benefit...

:P
  • I'm of the opinion that real men use 11s, anything else is for babies ;) I switched to 11s years ago, all because I was breaking 10s really easily. I can't play with anything lighter now, bends are not a problem for me and I find they hold their tuning better on my guitars. 
  • I'm tempted to go up to 11s from 10-52s but given that it's only really a slight increase on the top strings I'm not sure I'd see enough benefit to make it worth the effort.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • I use 8's for standard tuning.

I also use 11's for standard tuning.

And, occasionally, I use 13's for D standard or drop C.  All 25.5" scale, but one is a jazzmaster, and one is a shred axe (currently in drop C).  

Different strings have different uses on different guitars.  I love putting 8's on, and tuning standard or even flat.  They go so slinky, with no sustain, and it's a more interesting tone than 9's.  And you play faster.

On the other hand, put anything lighter than 11's on a jazzmaster and it doesn't work.  Any higher and fingers start bleeding, and it does sound a bit 'stiff' (I think I know exactly what ICBM means their).  

edited September 2013

Well, I went with 11-49s from my usual 10-46 (D'Addario) so not much difference in size but a big difference in feel and tension.  For a fiver, it's worth a go but I did have to undertake some gentle filing of the nut for the G string which was binding a tad.

No big effort to bend compared to the tens. Try it - you never know...
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8281
    ICBM;25813" I can't use 13s on an acoustic and not even 12s on some guitars, they're just too stiff. I also think they seem to sound stiff even when I'm not trying to bend anything, but that may be just perception.

Even if you're not consciously bending the strings, they'll stay more perfectly in tune when you dig in and pick harder so that effect will be noticeable. One of the things I like about 11s is that they feel substantial, but if you really smash them you still get that cool little "start sharp and ring out to pitch" thing going on which to me is part of the sound of a guitar when you go for it.

I remember the first time I went to 11s was on the day my old Floyd band performed "the Wall" live. I'd done all the practices with 9s, so the first time I went to do a full tone bend it was fucking agony, putting my whole arm into it to get up to pitch. And the two tone bends in "Another Brick in the Wall"? Fuck off, my guitar gently wept.

Cirrus said:
    Even if you're not consciously bending the strings, they'll stay more perfectly in tune when you dig in and pick harder so that effect will be noticeable. One of the things I like about 11s is that they feel substantial, but if you really smash them you still get that cool little "start sharp and ring out to pitch" thing going on which to me is part of the sound of a guitar when you go for it.

Exactly.

• I just took delivery of some 11-49s for my strat. I am expecting tonal majesty and strings always right where I left them.

LET'S DO THIS :x

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.