Query failed: connection to localhost:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II - Guitar Discussions on The Fretboard
UNPLANNED DOWNTIME: 12th Oct 23:45

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II

What's Hot
not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
edited August 2013 in Guitar
I'm Intrigued by these. 

Andertons posted something about these a few weeks ago saying they were USA exclusives, now GuitarGuitar and GAK are also showing then. 

50s and 60s neck versions, coil split and a boost circuit...and at £1399 they're cheaper than the Traditional at £1699.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

Comments

• ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Thanks, I'm on my phone and copy images seems to be causing trouble...all the icons at the top of the post box are greyed out. Hmmm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    You're welcome. :)
    Directly pasting the image url should work (it will appear after you've reloaded the page) but it looks like you copied the wrong one.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 69426
    edited September 2013
    The only thing that can be called a Pro II is an Aria...

Those of us of a certain age will understand!

I think I'd rather have one, too - an original Japanese one anyway.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • bertiebertie Frets: 12145
    ICBM said:

*sniff*   

nostalgic moment
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • badlydrawnbanjobadlydrawnbanjo Frets: 849
    edited August 2013
    I think they've got a couple in PMT Manchester, I saw them earlier today. Looked good, seemed to have a satin finish.
  • The 10db boost feature looks interesting. Excluding that, I'm sure thomann were doing these last year??
  • vizviz Frets: 10211
    The problem with those Arias is that if you imagine them without the neck they look like an astonished fish, and once you've seen that you're stuck with it.
    Paul_C said: People never read the signature bit.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2725
    It looks pretty nice but tbh I'm glad I'm not looking to buy another les paul at the moment...

It used to be the junior, studio, standard and custom with very obivous differences between them.

Credit to Gibson for offering variations and not just sticking with obvious models but there are so many variations on what I call a les paul standard that I find them hard to follow and if you throw in the changes in contruction over the last few years there are even more possibilities -  I guess that means you really do need to try them all to find one you love.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    edited September 2013
    ICBM;24560" said:

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_5o3C6NgRO_c/SeEgH5lRzTI/AAAAAAAAFZg/wqFWPDWHcfI/s1152/04, Aria Pro II, PE-R80, Neal Schon Model, 2081351, Front Full.jpg

Blooming lovely they were too I had one back in the day and wish I had never punted it on, I feel a nostalgia (which ain't what it used to be) buy coming on.

Grrr cannot get out of the quote box bit no matter what I do.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5698
    viz said:
    The problem with those Arias is that if you imagine them without the neck they look like an astonished fish, and once you've seen that you're stuck with it.
    Or as above with a very long tongue.....
    ;)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• I had one too. It was a really great sounding guitar and played beautifully too. The only downside was that being solid maple it was a bit on the weighty side. Wish I'd never sold it though.

There used to be pics of mine on http://www.matsumoku.org/, this was it:

• I had one too. It was a really great sounding guitar and played beautifully too. The only downside was that being solid maple it was a bit on the weighty side. Wish I'd never sold it though.

There used to be pics of mine on http://www.matsumoku.org/, this was it:

That's the 'iconic' one; the guitarist out of the Boomtown Rats was regularly featured with one like that in full page ads in Beat Instrumental. Andy Summers played one on The Police's first appearance on the Old Grey Whstle Test. They were everywhere for a while. I never owned one and don't recall ever playing one but I always thought they looked great.
  • Here's Andy Summers with his:

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7928
    edited September 2013
    I have the original Traditional Pro.

For me the differences were upgrades vs the regular Traditional!  At my time of purchase there was no solid body Standard (chambered only) and all the models had proper rosewood boards (no idea what the pro 2 has).

Locking tuners = check
    Satin neck finish = check
    60s neck available = check
    Comes with coil split = check
    500k pots = check
    Plain tops/solid colours = check

I know they're saving money by doing a satin back/neck finish, and by not offering figured tops, but since those are my preferences in the first place I don't feel like I missed out!

The new one seems to have a different bridge pickup that I'm not familiar with (unless they renamed the 57+) and the boost switch that I'm not sure is realistically useful (I'd prefer a pedal), but a quick scan looks like they're pretty similar.
  • Yeah it does seem that the cost saving is due to the finish, but I'm happy with that...in fact I'd much rather have a plain top than an OTT flame, and the satin back/neck would suit me fine.

I watched a youtube clip at the weekend and the boost seems to be a push/push, so pretty quick to use I guess, but still I'm a pedal guy!

Of all the current Gibson models this really is the one I'd go for...sadly I'm not really in the position till maybe next year.

• I agree, at my time of purchase I thought the Trad Pro was the best choice for a non CS Les Paul.  It had everything I did want, nothing I didn't, and it was cheaper than a Standard/Traditional too.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17108
    tFB Trader
    That looks great.

Probably what I'd go for if I was looking for an LP
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Bugger... This is pretty much my perfect singlecut. I bought the Soltero not really knowing what kind if neck I wanted, but playing the thinner C on my strat I'm after a thinner neck. Annoyingly the Soltero was an early birthday present, might try and see if I can head down to Andertons and try one out. Might be able to swap it if I try... 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • Eek....I think I've managed to get wife approval based on using the Andertons 0% finance deal and doing a lot of jobs around the house ;-) I need a lie down.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • not_the_dj;26713" said:
    Eek....I think I've managed to get wife approval based on using the Andertons 0% finance deal and doing a lot of jobs around the house ;-)
    Impressive - though let's hope the jobs are on a 'we could do with a shelf in the alcove' type scale, rather than 'build an extension for me'.

Hope the guitar works out well for you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter
  • Deposit paid and finance deal agreed... :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Twitter

• Deposit paid and finance deal agreed... :)
    WOOOOO!!!!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Despatched....over to Mr Courier now :-SS
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3532
    edited September 2013
    One more for the nostalgia brigade.

I still have it, case candy an all. 
    :)
    Oh god! I could just about live with not having one on the grounds that they didnt have it in the *right* colour. Now they do! Looks like a lot of grovelling is gonna have to be done... and lose the Dean...
    'Awibble'
  • @hertz32 which finish is it you're after?
    Vintage sunburst. Despite not being an obsessive slash fan, his vsb custom shop LP with the fishman powerbridge is my dream guitar. I love plaintop sunbursts, they are just the most stripped back meanest looking rock machines out there.
    'Awibble'
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I'm just pleased they don't have a goldtop version or I'd be in trouble.